Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Cale was one of the good ones. I liked NASCAR when drivers like him were racing. Don't watch it all today.

Yep. It suck’s nowadays.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Cale drove back when you could tell what make of car they were driving, and they weren't all spec cars, NASCAR was fun back then, you could carry a Rebel Flag, drink all the beer you could hold,fist fight and piss in the infield, there were good guy's bad guy's 43 cars in every race that had to qualify to get in the race the big races there was 51-52 cars trying to get in the race, now they are lucky to get 30-33, Cale the Allison's,Petty's Jr Johnson, made NASCAR. it's to bad the pansy asses got a hold of NASCAR and took the flavor and spirit out of NASCAR, RIP CALE. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The decline of NASCAR started when Jeff Gordon started racing, and NASCAR decided to change their image from "good ole rednecks" to the preppy Gordon types.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nascar was over the day Dale died.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The decline of NASCAR started when Jeff Gordon started racing, and NASCAR decided to change their image from "good ole rednecks" to the preppy Gordon types.
IMO, NASCAR knew the "working class" fans were on the way out (not enough disposable income anymore)... and tried to switch the fan base over to the wealthier "white collar" types... didn't work too good...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Yep... was for me anyway!...

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
holly farms chicken, Jr Johnson and Cale Yarborough

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
So the story went, After 3 championships in the Hardees Chevrolet, Ford offered Cale the regular deal of factory support & a million dollar bonus to switch. He said he went to GM & told them that. They had no or little response. He grinned & said that all they had to do was ask him kindly to stay & he would have without the million. But he didn't tell them that.

After the snub by GM he said he would have gone to Ford without the million. But he didn't tell them that either.

After that I still loved his driving style but needed a new driver. One that drove GM, was exciting to watch & to listen to. Didn't take long to notice the no. 3 car.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nascar is nothing but a bunch of woke twits now.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ain't it the truth LD, like so many other things. Some, just some institutions might be fine by not following along the agenda's.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

Lots of sprit left the track that day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 Like the old George Jones song says "who's gonna fill their shoes"

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Your right Rio7

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Nothing good lasts.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
IMO, NASCAR knew the "working class" fans were on the way out (not enough disposable income anymore)... and tried to switch the fan base over to the wealthier "white collar" types... didn't work too good...

Several years ago, I had a good conversation with Humpy Wheeler about NASCAR’s decline. I pinned most of it on their closures of certain tracks (N. Wilkesboro) and limiting other tracks to only one race. This created a cultural change that was detrimental to the sport. He pretty much agreed and said he wouldn’t want to be responsible for selling out the CMS anymore. We both agreed that NASCAR had seen its best days many years ago.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I remember the Fans Against Gordon (F.A.G.) flags flying in the fans' campground across the road from the front gate at Talladega- - - -camped out there several years in a row!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
And for me also

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by garddogg56
And for me also

My wife is still pretty sad about Dale’s passing. She knew Dale’s daughter, Kelly, when we were in school. Dale was a pretty approachable guy around town, so this area of the state really misses him. DEI must be doing pretty well, as it is decorated pretty nice for the holidays. I guess Teresa is the sole owner of DEI now?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was watching the race that day and became a Winston Cup fan What's not to like? Speed, wrecks and brawls. I'm a fan.

Went to several races, bought the t-shirts and hats, but the sport changed over the years. I agree, stock car racing died with Dale.

RIP, Cale

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I remember seeing a NASCAR race on the television back in about 1966 or '67, it seems. I don't recall which race it was but I think it was Cale Y. who got airborne and sailed over the wall and the chain link barrier. It seems like it was coming out of turn four---wherever they were racing, but that was such a long time ago. I just remember wondering how far it was to the ground on the other side of the chain link. It musta been one helluva stop when he hit.
I just watched that race on you-tube it was 1965 it was the Southern 500 race at the Darlington race track ran every memoriol day .look on youtube they have every Southern 500 race ran from 1956 -80's .each show last about 25 minuits . they show and tell how far Cale flew in air that day over the rail but i dont remember. seen it last week end .well worth watching all the old drivers in true stock cars

Last edited by rem shooter; 12/31/23.

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.