Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rossimp
What is big enough, fast enough, deadly enough, etc., to stop an attack by a pissed off bear? Several options may work and then again when applied to a different day and different bear maybe not. I would prefer the fastest action and portability combined with some power, for me it would be a trapper length 16” barreled Winchester 92 in 44 Rem Magnum with full length magazine. 10 rounds of 300 grain Barnes Busters at 1,450 fps. May work, may not, just like the other choices.

More importantly which gun are you capable with of shooting a charging bear between the eyes in less than 2 seconds? Rather a 30-30 or a 270 Win with a well placed shot than a 505 Gibbs or a 454 Casull that misses.

Last edited by colorado; 12/20/23.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And why does a 505 Gibbs or 454 Casull have to miss while a 30-30 or 270 doesn't?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 12/30/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by Rossimp
What is big enough, fast enough, deadly enough, etc., to stop an attack by a pissed off bear? Several options may work and then again when applied to a different day and different bear maybe not. I would prefer the fastest action and portability combined with some power, for me it would be a trapper length 16” barreled Winchester 92 in 44 Rem Magnum with full length magazine. 10 rounds of 300 grain Barnes Busters at 1,450 fps. May work, may not, just like the other choices.

More importantly which gun are you capable with of shooting a charging bear between the eyes in less than 2 seconds? Rather a 30-30 or a 270 Win with a well placed shot than a 505 Gibbs or a 454 Casull that misses.

We’re talking about one shot, it doesn’t matter for the first shot….if the shooter is at all capable! It’s recovery time from the first shot to the second shot…..that determines the riflemen from the wannabees! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/30/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CZ550
And why does a 505 Gibbs or 454 Casull have to miss while a 30-30 or 270 doesn't?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

It doesn't I have a 500 Jeffery which I shoot well, the point is shot placement is most important.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by CZ550

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

It doesn't I have a 500 Jeffery which I shoot well, the point is shot placement is most important.

I agree with the sentiment as I understand the intention, but disagree if the field is open as to cartridge. I recently addressed that in my blog. In better times, age wise, I could shoot my .340 Wby from offhand on a bull moose at 165 yds as well as a .223 Rem at the same range (but with far less confidence in shooting a bull moose with a .223 Rem or some larger cartridges than it, but less than a .340 Wby because I wanted it dead right there! I believe in true big bores that don't need the finesse shooting of small bores on big game if taking the shot that's given though the distance and angle may be less than perfect. In other words, I might take a calculated shot on large and potentially dangerous game using a large bore magnum that I'd turn down if using a .30-06, etc. In the case of a bear charge from less than 30 yds, at 30 mph there's no time for a second shot anyway (at 30 mph a bear at 30 yds will cover that in less than 2 sec. , so I want nothing short of a "stopping" rifle or 12ga slug (Brenneke type) pump gun, which is faster than a bolt-action repeater. So make it a big-bore for me - as you'r gonna get off one shot anyway from a rifle, so make that one count! Handguns, of course, is a different matter.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A question for those who walk about in bear country: What would be your fastest time for a followup shot in a bear charge? No guessing or exaggeration please, just factual based on the rifle you'd be walkin about with. Aimed shots under pressure.

With my handicap of one eye, a pump 12ga would be fastest in 3 sec for a second aimed shot. Next my Tikka T3 in 9.3 x 62. It's a right-handed bolt that I shoot from my left side - about 4 sec for a rushed follow up that's aimed. So if my first shot missed or didn't stop the bear it might run over me, separating me from the rifle, in which case a bolt-action repeater would be no better than a single-shot (from which it takes me about 5 secs for an aimed followup.)

How about you? And no wimpy .223 calibers. . . A worthwhile, walkabout bear rifle. In days past I toted a lot of Marlins in .45-70. They were faster than bolt guns, but there's the matter of recovering from the recoil factor to be considered.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 12/31/23.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was just hiking and not hunting, I'd carry a Mossberg 590 7 shot.

https://www.mossberg.com/590-7-shot-50778.html

IMO, Mossberg 590 hits all the points: the safety is in the right place, it has dual extractors, it's loose enough to cycle about anything, and it carries a decent ammo supply.

I'd paint the stock and forend with Blaze-Orange Krylon so I could see it easily if I dropped it or set it down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-K...6oiHik-9HkaAhQiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd put a Hi-Viz front sight on it.

https://www.hivizsights.com/product/mpb/

And I'd load it with Brenneke Black Magic slugs.

https://www.brennekeusa.com/hunting-ammunition/black-magicr-magnum/

And in the tail end of the mag, I'd load a couple Winchester Double X 3" high velocity copper plated 00 shells. At 1,450 fps, they are about the hardest hitting factory buckshot loads out there.

https://www.winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/Double-X/SB12300

And then I'd shoot the shyt out of it until it was second nature.

And I'd carry a Glock 20 with XS DXT2 express sights and loaded with Buffalo Bore hardcasts in a chest holster, for backup.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/01/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've a similar type tactical/security Stevens/Savage M320: Has ghost ring rear sight and hooded fibre otic front sight. 39" OL. Holds 5, weight light = 7 lbs. Use is walking about in bear country and follow up of a wounded bear.
It's based on the old but good Winchester 1300. Was accurate right out of the box using the magnum Challenger 490gr slugs out of Quebec, employing the DGS out of Italy: 1550 fps from the 18.5", dead on at 50 yds first try without any sight corrections.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
404 grain Shock Hammer in 458 Win mag would stop a grizz in his tracks

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
For a rifle I carry a Siamese Mauser in .45-70 with a stout load behind Hornady 350 grain round nose bullets, very accurate. I'm also carrying either a Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt with stout hard cast loads or a Springfield 1911 Ronin in 10mm with similar loads for it. I don't feel under gunned.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
[quote=CZ550]A question for those who walk about in bear country: What would be your fastest time for a followup shot in a bear charge? No guessing or exaggeration please, just factual based on the rifle you'd be walkin about with. Aimed shots under pressure.]

Quick enough so far. I know on one of mine I had three .375s underway in less than four seconds at bad breath distance.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I figure it takes me 1 1/2 second to swing,point, aim and shoot. 2nd shot probably add a second to that. Proven that with a 270 Win, 375 H&H and 500 Jeffery. Only the 375 H&H was on a brown bear not charging, just surprised each other. Shot him at 13 yards.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gents:

Reading all this with appreciation, thanks for posting your input.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No one answered my earlier question...how about a Browning BAR in .458? 4 shots as fast as you can recover and pull the trigger!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One word answer……..sweet! 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agree love it!

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I'll be the negative nancy here. I'd not trust the mechanism of the BAR for rough, remote conditions for a hunting or working rifle. I'd also not want the liability of bumping the release on that detachable mag. The reality of hard use rifles means they'll be exposed to harsh conditions with limited maintenance opportunities. For example, how would the BAR do on day three of a hunt involving constant exposure to wetness with some freeze-thaw cycles, and then also being expected to function with ammo that's had a nice grunge develop on the cases as well?

Another issue to consider with using such a rifle in thick stuff such as I deal with is when brush busting the charging handle can get shoved back enough to put the bolt out of battery but still look normal enough to not be noticed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I'll be the negative nancy here. I'd not trust the mechanism of the BAR for rough, remote conditions for a hunting or working rifle. I'd also not want the liability of bumping the release on that detachable mag. The reality of hard use rifles means they'll be exposed to harsh conditions with limited maintenance opportunities. For example, how would the BAR do on day three of a hunt involving constant exposure to wetness with some freeze-thaw cycles, and then also being expected to function with ammo that's had a nice grunge develop on the cases as well?

Another issue to consider with using such a rifle in thick stuff such as I deal with is when brush busting the charging handle can get shoved back enough to put the bolt out of battery but still look normal enough to not be noticed.

It’s difficult to argue “any” of those points……but, it’s purty to look at! Just not practical for inclement weather or rough terrain hunting conditions!

A nice “safe queen” to impress the neighbors! 😁 memtb

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
It certainly does have a cool factor not possessed by the same model in chamberings such as the 7 mag.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I believe they were somewhat widely used in WWII (not that I was alive then!)

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.