Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It'll push the bullet out, probably, but in the process you're setting up a situation for a rapidly expanding column of high pressure hot gasses impinging upon a solid barrier and in that millionth(?) of a second or so something has to give even if said barrier is merely a stuck bullet, and that something is the wall of barrel steel. Result, a lot more often than not, is a ring in the barrel at minimum (bad), a bulge in the barrel (worse than bad), or a ruptured barrel (really bad day for you). Yeah, it's been done with no harm/no foul but those cats who've gotten away with it were lucky. Period. Just don't do it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
steel rod, brass tip and a pipe clamp. dimple in the driver end so the rod doesn't move.

I've only done this with handguns

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every smith with a little experience has a tale or two.

The attempts to femive the bullet cause more headache than
removing the bullet.

Provide you know how, and don't just think you do.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure I would use this method, but seems to work...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Black powder in a case.....done.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pour 4 inches of oil down the barrel.
steel rod with TIGHT patch, i use 1/4 inch thick leather.
slide the patch to top of oil column and strike rod hard.
hydraulics are your friend.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
It'll push the bullet out, probably, but in the process you're setting up a situation for a rapidly expanding column of high pressure hot gasses impinging upon a solid barrier and in that millionth(?) of a second or so something has to give even if said barrier is merely a stuck bullet, and that something is the wall of barrel steel. Result, a lot more often than not, is a ring in the barrel at minimum (bad), a bulge in the barrel (worse than bad), or a ruptured barrel (really bad day for you). Yeah, it's been done with no harm/no foul but those cats who've gotten away with it were lucky. Period. Just don't do it!

Like I said, it worked for me, and now that I read your explanation (thank you!) there might be two reasons why it did: the type and amount of powder used, and the fact that I did not mess before, trying to hammer the bullet out from both sides which is what, in my opinion, can create the (enough) solid barrier that you talk about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
Black powder in a case.....done.

This sounds interesting. Care to give details?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by chamois
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Like I said, it worked for me, and now that I read your explanation (thank you!) there might be two reasons why it did: the type and amount of powder used, and the fact that I did not mess before, trying to hammer the bullet out from both sides which is what, in my opinion, can create the (enough) solid barrier that you talk about.

Even a loosely fitting object in the barrel can present enough of a barrier. A lot of variables present themselves, all of which involve pressure columns, momentum, inertia, mass, and time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've done some other foul ups too embarassing to confess, but never a stuck bullet (well- ML - pulled with screw or shot out), so I'm curious. In above situation, with bullet a couple inches from the breach, and using hydraulics /rod, move the bullet the short way back to the breach, or continue it forward.?

I'm thinking backward, with good crown protection, and recrown if necessary?

Last edited by las; 01/01/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have had a couple, I pulled a projectile and dropped half the powder before pointing the rifle up and inserting half full case...then pulled trigger.

Solved issue both times.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I have had a couple, I pulled a projectile and dropped half the powder before pointing the rifle up and inserting half full case...then pulled trigger.

Solved issue both times.

Well, thats what I did with the Hawkin ml- light charge through the nipple oriface.

You did the shoot-out before boogering the bullet to hell and gone, presumably? smile

Last edited by las; 01/02/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, Anaconda, 14 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.