Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19064639 01/01/24
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just FYI, if someone inadvertently marks a transaction as being for goods and services and even if you immediately refund the money; PayPal considers that money to have been received for Goods and Services and will report the transaction as such.

Also, it appears that the person sending you the money cannot resend you the money as friends and family.

According to PayPal they claim, when you refund the money they take the money from your bank account and actually don't refund the other parties actual money.

I have not seen the mechanics of that yet in my bank account because this all transpired this weekend.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I sold a scope 5+/- years ago...

Buyer sent me the funds via PP.

I shipped the scope.

The scope was received.

PP "investigated" the transaction... and deemed that I had sold a firearm or firearm part in violation of their rules.

PP seized my funds.

The matter was NOT disputable. I never got my funds back.

Thus ending my days of ever using PP again.

Many better options than PP.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back around the 2000 time frame, I began to use PayPal for some buying and selling I was doing on Ebay. It was easy and convenient. Then they raised their cut, which amounted to a lot on high dollar items. Also, they announced that they'd been hacked and certain customers information stolen. I decided then and there to quit using them and have never regretted it. Convenience is not always the best way to go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have used PP for many years. I can't think of a negative issue I have had. It's a good way to do business with folks like knife makers in Europe.

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used PP for a long tie but after they stole $40 from me I haven't used them since. Over the years they've gone woke and are no longer reliable.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just seen this. I am the one this happened to, on Mike's ad. He had a mini tripod listed and I told him I'd take it if he did paypal. I got a PM with his PP addy and immediately sent funds. A few minutes later he refunded the $35. I thought WTF? so I went back to his ad and he said he would only do F&F PP. Trouble was, I never seen the ad with F&F in it as I paid right after receiving the PM. I tried to resend it as F&F and it wouldn't go thru. I figgered, oh well, missed out... He PM'd me back and I checked my PP acct and it said I was refunded the $35 and balance was back to zero. After seeing this post this morning, I checked my bank acct and PP did not actually return the money. The fuggers kept it and never really refunded it to my acct, so it cost ME $35 bucks for an item I did not get. Live and learn.... So sellers, if you are willing to use PP, you should also be willing to incur their costs. If not, just state that up front in the ad. Not after the fact, when somebody commits and doesn't look back at the ad. I've used PP forever, and never had a problem before. He did offer to take another form of pmt, but I declined. It just wasn't worth the extra to me for the time, gas, envelope and stamp to have to waste a good part of and hour and gas to go clear to town to mail it off. Life goes on......

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bought some MiHec bullet molds out of Slovenia with Pay Pal. That was 10 years ago but no issues. Haven’t used it since.
Do a little bit with Venmo, but I think PayPal owns them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you fraudently try to use "friends and family" for goods and services, you get no sympathy from me.....especially if you're too stupid to pull it off.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I shipped the scope.

The scope was received.

PP "investigated" the transaction... and deemed that I had sold a firearm or firearm part in violation of their rules.

PP seized my funds.

And yet it’s perfectly fine to buy a new or used scope on eBay or a new one on Eurooptics.com and pay via PayPal….as I have done way too many times. Hmmmm. What’s up with that, do you suppose?

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Huntsman22,

You will not be out $35. The delay in the credit to your bank account may be because of the banking holiday which also effects electronic transfers. Also, just FYI, I am in the process of closing my PayPal account. So if that has also caused a problem, I will send the you the funds via a check. But rest assured, you will not be out the $35.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
Huntsman22,

You will not be out $35. The delay in the credit to your bank account may be because of the banking holiday which also effects electronic transfers. Also, just FYI, I am in the process of closing my PayPal account. So if that has also caused a problem, I will send the you the funds via a check. But rest assured, you will not be out the $35.

Why don't you just send what you sold? You sound like a 1st class douche.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by readonly
You sound like a 1st class douche.

It's a good idea to have the facts and make sure your brains are loaded before shooting off your mouth. Mike is one of the most honest people you could ever hope to deal with and would never rip anyone off. And I can tell you that from personal experience as he and I have dealt for many years.

As an example, I recently listed some brass which Mike bought. I put a few extra pieces in the package. When he received it, he sent even more $$ even though I was simply giving it to him. That's the type of person Mike is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
readonly, YOU are the douche. I've talked to Mike and everything is cool betwixt us. You, on the other hand, can't seem to keep your nose out of other's business and your comment about 'fraudulently/too stupid' is off base. Using F&F isn't fraud, as we're ALL friends here.....right? wink,wink

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Huntsman22,

Because the money has been refunded and the delay in the credit to Huntsman's account is likely because of the banking holiday.

An additional comment for the general forum.

Additionally, most people including me are not concerned about the 3% fee. The concern for me and I expect for other people as well is: If a transaction is sent as Goods and Services as soon as you exceed $600 or more in total for a year, PayPal is going to issue a 1099 meaning it will be reported as income.

Everything I sell and I expect is the same for the vast majority of folks who are not placing ads for their commercial business is being sold at a loss. So for example (and we have also seen many of these ads), someone decides to get out of reloading and over the course of the year sells $2000 of components and equipment. They are generally priced below what they paid (assume the purchase price of the items was $2500) because the equipment is used and a buyer is going to have no motivation to purchase used equipment or even sealed components for the same price from a private party as from a retailer. Hence, the sales represent a small financial loss. PayPal is going to issue a 1099 for $2000 in revenue/income. The seller is now forced to file a Schedule C in their tax return showing income/revenue of $2000 but a COGS of $2500 and a $500 loss which would all have to be supported by receipts and accounting records or pay tax on $2000. That is a record keeping nightmare. I know of nobody who is going thru life saying I just bought $200 worth of components but I better keep that receipt in case I ever sell them and the sale gets reported to the IRS.

Now considering, how easy it is to generate $600 of sales in a single year for all the used equipment and various components that is acquired over even just 5 or 10 years and the accounting nightmare it would be keep track of the cost all the miscellaneous stuff that is sold at a loss, for me a 3% fee that PayPal charges is not a concern. Also, I am not going to go take the time to contemplate what are the tax implications of a transaction and adjust pricing accordingly.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 01/01/24.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
readonly, YOU are the douche. I've talked to Mike and everything is cool betwixt us. You, on the other hand, can't seem to keep your nose out of other's business and your comment about 'fraudulently/too stupid' is off base. Using F&F isn't fraud, as we're ALL friends here.....right? wink,wink

again you were too stupid to pull it off, and friends and family is not for goods and services unless you are a dishonest POS. You are in facet defrauding both PP and taxes. Both of you are douches, and dishonest. GFY

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I avoid all of this and do my shopping a Fat Frank’s local gun shop. Home of the $100 mark up. So worth it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Change ALL to almost, and I'm on board.
As are most here. Dozens of friendly, charitable gestures.
Guys being more friendly, and honest, than many I've known for decades.
Our rats, are soon found out and discarded.

Like readonly,

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F#$K paypal they tried to screw me out of money years ago. Had to file clam with CC company which sided with me.
Told PP to F$%K closed account never will use it again.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I shipped the scope.

The scope was received.

PP seized my funds.

Bought some 16 gauge slugs and buckshot from a gent on this site.
Sent him a USPS money order.
When he received the MO, he shipped the ammo.
Took about 3 days for him to get MO. He sent me tracking # when he shipped. Weekend not included, got ammo in about 3 days.
I don't mess with all that PayPal and other on-line BS.
I had to trust a total stranger with money. Rather a stranger than on-line, electronic ID-10-T's!
....and I won't deal with on-line gun buyers/sellers. Too much can go wrong! Blame it on my OFS!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Huntsman22,

Because the money has been refunded and the delay in the credit to Huntsman's account is likely because of the banking holiday.

An additional comment for the general forum.

Additionally, most people including me are not concerned about the 3% fee. The concern for me and I expect for other people as well is: If a transaction is sent as Goods and Services as soon as you exceed $600 or more in total for a year, PayPal is going to issue a 1099 meaning it will be reported as income.

Everything I sell and I expect is the same for the vast majority of folks who are not placing ads for their commercial business is being sold at a loss. So for example (and we have also seen many of these ads), someone decides to get out of reloading and over the course of the year sells $2000 of components and equipment. They are generally priced below what they paid (assume the purchase price of the items was $2500) because the equipment is used and a buyer is going to have no motivation to purchase used equipment or even sealed components for the same price from a private party as from a retailer. Hence, the sales represent a small financial loss. PayPal is going to issue a 1099 for $2000 in revenue/income. The seller is now forced to file a Schedule C in their tax return showing income/revenue of $2000 but a COGS of $2500 and a $500 loss which would all have to be supported by receipts and accounting records or pay tax on $2000. That is a record keeping nightmare. I know of nobody who is going thru life saying I just bought $200 worth of components but I better keep that receipt in case I ever sell them and the sale gets reported to the IRS.

Now considering, how easy it is to generate $600 of sales in a single year for all the used equipment and various components that is acquired over even just 5 or 10 years and the accounting nightmare it would be keep track of the cost all the miscellaneous stuff that is sold at a loss, for me a 3% fee that PayPal charges is not a concern. Also, I am not going to go take the time to contemplate what are the tax implications of a transaction and adjust pricing accordingly.

The $600 standard for 1099 reporting was delayed another year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.