-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Seems like I could shoot this better with a sight picture showing al little light on the sides of the front sight. I've got a good set of small files but I've never heard of anyone trying this with a barley corn rear sight which makes me think it might be a bad idea. Anyone here tried this or know of someone that has?

Last edited by 43Shooter; 01/01/24.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You want a repeatable sight definition in all light and target back ground colors, square that front barleycorn into a patridge blade, take your Chinese needle file to the rear and square notchit into a patridge with plenty of daylight on both sides.I have done it to my Trapdoors, Krags, Swedes, Mosins...it's your rifle, and rifle shooting is not much fun when you can't hit your target.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Kind of pricey for what it is, but Brownells has a replacement that is shaped like a real front sight!

I have yet to figure out why they made those sights!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sound advice. If one fears altering his original sights, get other ones with which to mess with and keep the original sights with the gun for posterity.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always liked shooting the square notch Swedish Mauser rear sight better than the barleycorn found on most 98s.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are, or were Weaver-ish mount bases that attach to the slide on 98 rear sights, allowing small scopes or red dots to be mounted. The lightweight red dot seems more likely to stay put IMO. Not irons of course, but if hitting is your goal, maybe worth a try.

Not certain of the fit, but NECG sells these and I replaced the too low front on an FN with one.

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=8196

You could whittle it to shape instead of futzing with the original or even slot it for a blade made of sheet brass. Getting the old one out might be a challenge. I had to cut the one on my FN, probably not what you want if your 98 is collectible.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for the info. Gonna do it, I like shooting and hitting stuff with this rifle. Will widen the rear sight. I don't think it will take much and if I need to I'll get the NECG front sight Pappy348. suggested. It's a "Russian Capture". Everything works as it should and it has a decent bore but it's not like I'm messing up an all matching pre-war rifle.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
There are, or were Weaver-ish mount bases that attach to the slide on 98 rear sights, allowing small scopes or red dots to be mounted. The lightweight red dot seems more likely to stay put IMO. Not irons of course, but if hitting is your goal, maybe worth a try.

Not certain of the fit, but NECG sells these and I replaced the too low front on an FN with one.

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=8196

You could whittle it to shape instead of futzing with the original or even slot it for a blade made of sheet brass. Getting the old one out might be a challenge. I had to cut the one on my FN, probably not what you want if your 98 is collectible.

Some of the NECG stuff is actually Recknagel - they make a ton of open sights and parts.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Widened the rear sight just enough to create a slight gap on each side of the front sight. That gave me a better sight picture and I also put a drop of white paint on the front sight. I haven't shot it further than 100 yards but I'd say accuracy improved a little and the main thing is it's easier to shoot. Don't know if it's the paint, the gap, or both but my right eye's not watering after a range session with it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
On the military sights different countries have different sight style setups. if a peep rear and square top post fits you better then reshaping the front sight is not a problem. If nothing else you can add solder to the top of the front and re-shape it, blacken it, done. No or less eye strain is a good thing.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.