mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A mini-split system would probably be your best bet, then you could also air condition it in the summer.

You'll want to do a little research and size it properly.

Up here at 3750 feet I think we used our AC in the house 2 or 3 days last year.

I may have to rethink the oil filled electric portable. My original thought was since this would be new construction it would be the time to build something into the room.

My biggest reason for A/C is to keep humidity down, better for components, ammo, and guns.

Pretty dry up here on the prairie.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I would vote for the oil filled electric radiator. We used one in our office at work. Very safe and economical with 110 volts. Our at work was two different wattages. You could use 1/2 capacity or full capacity with thermostat. Ours was several years old and worked like a champ. They are very reasonable cost also.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I darn near set on my little radiator heater in the garage where my reloading table is set up. Plan to enclose the small corner so I don’t freeze next winter. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
anything but electric... added a small 240v electric heater in my small workshop to supplement my NG tube heater... added $400 a month to heat bill... lesson learned...
That is either a VERY large shop, or very expensive electricity, or both.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use an oil filled heater in my camper during hunting season. As poorly insulated as most campers are, mine stays comfortable down to freezing with just the heater. Below that, the furnace will assist when needed. I use the 800W setting on the heater to avoid any electrical issues. It’s an old camper.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My "reloading room" is a drafty single wide retired construction site office trailer with about a 10 X 40 foot interior space. A heater like this keeps it comfortable in all but the coldest winter weather.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296088752502?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
anything but electric... added a small 240v electric heater in my small workshop to supplement my NG tube heater... added $400 a month to heat bill... lesson learned...

Yeah, I keep my shop 55-60* with infrared heat in Minnesota without anything like that bill.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My reloading room is in my basement, heating is done by heat pump, 46% humidity and 70 degrees all year round

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
you can put you one or two depending on your level of environment and insulation of the old milkhouse style heaters in they work good

I went back and looked and you're in Idaho so that might not be the best option for you cuz I understand it gets damn cold up there LOL

Last edited by ldholton; 12/31/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie

Yeah, I keep my shop 55-60* with infrared heat in Minnesota without anything like that bill.
shop is aprox 30x40 with 14ft ceiling... the electric heater on it's lowest setting kept the shop at 62* with the tube heater bumping it up to 70* during the day... total gas & electric about $550 per mo... with electric heat disconnected, about $150 per mo... shop is getting new insulation & a vapor barrier, hopefully next summer... Phuqking Corn Crib!...

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I thought briefly about the portable oil or kerosun heaters but don’t want to worry about it being filled and running when I’m gone. I’m on keep full with the propane if I opt for that.
I am not sure everyone is on the same page here.

These oil FILLED heaters as recommended above are 110 V electric. I have one in our living room to warm that part of the house while allowing the rest of the house to stay at a cooler, more comfortable temperature.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

A reloadig room would be a perfect application for one as they have no hot surfaces to initiate combustion. At its highest settig, 1500 watts, I can lay my had on any part of ours.
I have 2 of these types. They are safe, cheap and last. I have the Italian brand. 20 years old.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Put in electric baseboard with the T-Stat on the wall.

Mine sits under my bench works perfect.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I load/reload in my garage so if it's cold I just wear warm clothes.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

shop is aprox 30x40 with 14ft ceiling... the electric heater on it's lowest setting kept the shop at 62* with the tube heater bumping it up to 70* during the day... total gas & electric about $550 per mo... with electric heat disconnected, about $150 per mo... shop is getting new insulation & a vapor barrier, hopefully next summer... Phuqking Corn Crib!...

I have a 24x30 shop. 10' tall 2x6 insulated walls. I keep it ~55 degrees all the time that the heaters need to run. 2 240V 5K Watt overhead heaters and 2 ceiling fans cost ~$80-$125 to run in the ND winter. I've got a 115V "window-unit" AC built into the shady N wall and summertime costs to keep the shop @ 72F run about the same as winter pricing.

Last edited by horse1; 01/01/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i built a 8x16 rifle and pistol reloading room in my pole shed with a wood floor and electric base board heat ,its now getting to small . but i have no problem with moisture ,cold or heat with this insulated room.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought briefly about the portable oil or kerosun heaters but don’t want to worry about it being filled and running when I’m gone. I’m on keep full with the propane if I opt for that.

Love kerosene heaters....except for the odor!
Walking out of a TSC the other day and there stood a display of 5 gallons cans of kerosene.
That stuff was $50/can or $10/gal!!!!!!
I can remember buying kerosene for five cents a gallon when diesel was ten cents and gasoline was .219 cents a gallon.
Before I'd burn $10 kerosene, I'd run a wood heater!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Electric is going to be the most inefficient. i.e. oil, baseboard, heat pump etc. If your are going to be leaving it on to maintain a constant temp then propane would by far be the most efficient and cost effective. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My little room is 7 x10. I insulated it well. When I am going to work in there and it's cold. I plug in a little electric heater and warm it up.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I wouldn't sch*t talk electricity or any other heating method you're using with that going on decent insulation is your friend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dirt99

I wouldn't sch*t talk electricity or any other heating method you're using with that going on decent insulation is your friend.
I know several people that told me these electric heaters will eat your lunch $$$ regardless of good insulation... didn't believe em, Do now!... by the way, that NG tube heater is still keeping the shop at 70* during the day (i shut it off at night)... total utility bill (gas & electric) about $150 per month...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (163bc, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,592
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.