Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
The world record elk was harvested with a 30/40 krag.

Weren’t those designed for 220 s ?

The Plute elk. Took a pic of the elk this summer while I was in Crested Butte. It is was impressive when you are standing there looking at it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW!

I used to work in crested butte sorry I missed it!

What building is it in?

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/31/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
WOW!

I used to work in crested butte sorry I missed it!

What building is it in?

I lent it out to the local vfw.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Downtown at the museum. If you look it up, it will lead you to the visor center. It's not there, it's in the museum downtown.

I went to Crested Butte just to see that elk. Trust me the pics don't show how massive that rack is.

I even hiked up both ends of Dark Canyon just checking it out. Good elk country - back in that era. It's not that hard to get to.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Mule Deer, thanks for the insight on the LRX. I've started shooting the 175 LRX in my 30.06 as well for the same reasons you mentioned, hunting in grizzly country. Do you think the Barnes TTSX 165/168 would suffice in similar circumstances wrt dealing with big bears or is the quick expansion of the LRX design and the 15-20 gr. wt. increase give it enough edge to negate the TTSX bullets?

The LRXs don't expand any faster than TTSXs, and in fact its pretty much a myth that any expanding big game bullets expand "faster." Instead just about any, except Berger Hunting VLDs and some other similar "target-type" bullets, where expansion is delayed slightly. All other expanding bullets open up completely within their length, which is rarely over 1.5".

Instead the LRXs are designed to expand at lower impact velocities than TTSXs--such as at longer ranges. So far I have not idea how much weight they retain on game, since I haven't recovered any--and the first 175 LRX I took any game with penetrated a angling-away mule deer at 325 yards, penetrating around three feet before exiting. In other words, they seem to penetrate like TTSXs.

Thanks for the response. I took note of your "myth that any expanding big game bullets expand "faster" comment and realized I had read in the past about just that in one of your books or articles. Probably would have been better to say "more easily" because of the lower impact velocity design. I've only shot one animal with the 175 LRX, a whitetail buck at about 30 yrds out my back door. The buck was angling sharply uphill and to the right and the bullet went through the rear part of the right shoulder blade, impacted the spine and cut through the forward section of the left shoulder. My daughter happened to find the bullet lodged in a lodgepole behind the where the deer was standing. The petals were gone and I didn't see any evidence of them in the tree so figured they came off in the deer. Personally I have no problem with the petals breaking off since the shank should still have enough mass to keep going and the petals will just add to the damage.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
We've shot a lot of deer using TTSX, TSX and lately the LRX with excellent results at all ranges. This year we went elk hunting for the first time since 1992 and ended up recovering a couple of 168gr TTSX bullets. After seeing the results first hand and not reading or seeing pictures of the results of water or ballistic gel test. Honestly, I don't know what to expect from Barnes TTSX anymore. We're going to keep shooting TTSX, LRX bullets and killing stuff with them like we always have....but damn.
Using the Burger bullet calculator site, it says a 168gr bullet started at 3250 fps is supposed to be moving along at 2238 fps at 600yds. These bullets were recovered from elk shot between 610 and 630yds with a starting MV of 3250+ fps.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

How far did the elk travel after the hit before they expired and what damage did you see on the insides? I haven't shot enough animals with Barnes bullets to make any kind of judgment so asking out curiosity.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the response. I took note of your "myth that any expanding big game bullets expand "faster" comment and realized I had read in the past about just that in one of your books or articles. Probably would have been better to say "more easily" because of the lower impact velocity design. I've only shot one animal with the 175 LRX, a whitetail buck at about 30 yrds out my back door. The buck was angling sharply uphill and to the right and the bullet went through the rear part of the right shoulder blade, impacted the spine and cut through the forward section of the left shoulder. My daughter happened to find the bullet lodged in a lodgepole behind the where the deer was standing. The petals were gone and I didn't see any evidence of them in the tree so figured they came off in the deer. Personally I have no problem with the petals breaking off since the shank should still have enough mass to keep going and the petals will just add to the damage.

I've seen a lot of Barnes X bullets of various types take big game since around 1990, and have never been able to tell whether they retained or lost their petals make difference in how they killed. The last one where the petals had disappeared and the bullet was recovered was a huge cow elk my wife Eileen killed maybe five years ago.

It was standing quartering toward us at around 250 yards, and Eileen aimed for the near (left) shoulder with her .308 Winchester--and that's where the 130-grain TTSX landed, just above the big shoulder joint. The elk stumbled 20-25 yards before falling, obviously dead on its feet. We found the bullet under the hide over the ribs on the opposite (right) side of the chest. It had lost all its petals and retained 62% of its weight.

Have several similar examples of other animals taken with both the original (pre-grooved) X-Bullets and both TTSXs and TSXs. If I recall correctly none of the animals went over about 35 yards before falling.

During a mule deer hunt with Randy Brooks in 2005, the subject of X's losing their petals came up. Randy said he thought when he came up with the X's in the 1980s that losing petals would result in more interior damage, and he designed them to lose petals, at least most of the time. But as their popularity grew more and more hunters started bragging about how X's retained 100% of their weight. Since Randy also believes the customer is "right," he changed the design so they would retain their petals most of the time.

One thing that does tend to happen when they lose all their petals is the front of the bullet flattens and "expands" slightly, which makes a bigger hole--and acts something like a flat-nose solid, but with a "flat" that's wider than bullet diameter. The first one I recovered that had lost all its petals was a 120-grain original X, from one of my 6.5x55s that shot that bullet really well at around 3000 fps. The animal was a big axis deer in Texas, quartering toward me at around 130 yards. I aimed for the near shoulder, and the buck ran about 30 yards and keeled over.

The bullet broke the shoulder joint, and under the hide on the opposite flank, just behind the ribcage. It retained 77.5% of its weight, and the front end had expanded to .41 inch--over 50% wider than the shank of the bullet. Would the buck have died quicker if it had retained its petals and 100% of its weight? Dunno, but it died quickly.

Have also found broken-off petals at both the entrance and exit wounds, and very occasionally inside the innards--including one in the heart of a big whitetail buck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bwinters
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from us-tuna-sounds-images.voicemod.net]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We've shot a lot of deer using TTSX, TSX and lately the LRX with excellent results at all ranges. This year we went elk hunting for the first time since 1992 and ended up recovering a couple of 168gr TTSX bullets. After seeing the results first hand and not reading or seeing pictures of the results of water or ballistic gel test. Honestly, I don't know what to expect from Barnes TTSX anymore. We're going to keep shooting TTSX, LRX bullets and killing stuff with them like we always have....but damn.
Using the Burger bullet calculator site, it says a 168gr bullet started at 3250 fps is supposed to be moving along at 2238 fps at 600yds. These bullets were recovered from elk shot between 610 and 630yds with a starting MV of 3250+ fps.

How far did the elk travel after the hit before they expired and what damage did you see on the insides? I haven't shot enough animals with Barnes bullets to make any kind of judgment so asking out curiosity.
Our elk didn't go far, less than 40yds, excellent results like always when using Barnes bullets. Internal damage was impressive considering the the bullets didn't mushroom or shed petals. The average weight retention of the bullets was close to 95%. I highly recommend Barnes LRX and TTSX bullets but they're not magic. Barnes bullets won't fail when you need them to break a shoulder bone, or need penetration for a frontal or going away shot to reach the vitals.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Our elk didn't go far, less than 40yds, excellent results like always when using Barnes bullets. Internal damage was impressive considering the the bullets didn't mushroom or shed petals. The average weight retention of the bullets was close to 95%. I highly recommend Barnes LRX and TTSX bullets but they're not magic. Barnes bullets won't fail when you need them to break a shoulder bone, or need penetration for a frontal or going away shot to reach the vitals.

Good to know enough damage was done with that expansion. To this day regret not shooting a legal bull moose at 550yds with a Barnes a few years ago. I was worried about a circus. Thought it would come closer, but it disappeared.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Calvin

Good to know enough damage was done with that expansion. To this day regret not shooting a legal bull moose at 550yds with a Barnes a few years ago. I was worried about a circus. Thought it would come closer, but it disappeared.

Barnes lists the minimum expansion velocities, and for safety sake, I add a couple hundred fps to their value! I make certain that my longest shot is within that parameter. That’s not a problem for me……with my cartridge/load, that velocity window is 300 yards beyond my self-imposed 600 yard limit!

Though, even with expansion only to bullet diameter (Barnes claims 1600 fps)…….I still making a minimum hole size of 3/8” @ 1200 yards! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/01/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Barnes lists the minimum expansion velocities, and for safety sake, I add a couple hundred fps to their value! I make certain that my longest shot is within that parameter. That’s not a problem for me……with my cartridge/load, that velocity window is 300 yards beyond my self-imposed 600 yard limit!

Though, even with expansion only to bullet diameter (Barnes claims 1600 fps)…….I still making a minimum hole size of 3/8” @ 1200 yards! 😉 memtb

Do you actually know what an "!" is for?

Barnes and any other mono is the worst choice one could choose.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/01/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the proper choice?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Like most of your opinions and statements…….incorrect! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=memtb]

Like most of your opinions and statements…….incorrect!

And yes……I do know what an exclamation point means! If my use of it offends you…..tough titty! memtb

Exclamation mark
Punctuation mark to show emphasis
The exclamation mark is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or to show emphasis. The exclamation mark often marks the end of a sentence, for example: "Watch out!". Similarly, a bare exclamation mark is often used in warning signs. The exclamation mark is often used in writing to make a character seem as though they are shouting, excited, or surprised. Other uses include:
In mathematics, it denotes the factorial operation.…
Wikipedia

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

And yes……I do know what an exclamation point means! If my use of it offends you…..tough titty! memtb

It doesn't offend me, it's just really annoying.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

😂 ! memtb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

😂 ! memtb

What type of bullet performance did you observe this year?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

😂 ! memtb

What type of bullet performance did you observe this year?

Did not hunt with success…..no shots fired, this year! But previous seasons where shots were fired, and Barnes bullets used…. the bullet performance has “always” been very good! I can’t say that with cup and core bullets!

I do hope that my use of quotations does not also annoy you……not! memtb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My apologies to the OP for being a participant in derailing an otherwise great thread! memtb

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,571
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.