Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dinny
The heartache comes when our wives sell our guns for what we told them we paid for them.

WTF ? do you lie about the money you spend on guns and why? you out yourself as a Beta with such nonsense....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by NTO
Now if you don’t sell them before you go make a spreadsheet of the guns with info and a realistic value so your family has some idea. That way whatever they decide to do with them they don’t get cheated.

My father made a spreadsheet like this. It had detailed information on roughly 40 items but his ideas of their value was deeply colored by emotion and his history with each item. He wasn't able to account for regional differences in perception of value, changing trends in gun ownership, the incredibly specialized nature of some of the items, modifications (there were many), ordinary wear, etc.

What are your thoughts on how to arrive at "realistic values"? I'm going through this right now, and I'm finding it to be the toughest part of the problem.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
The heartache comes when our wives sell our guns for what we told them we paid for them.

WTF ? do you lie about the money you spend on guns and why? you out yourself as a Beta with such nonsense....

It's an old joke tag line. Don't take it seriously.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sure wish that Echols was a right hand. I want one to hunt with. I have been a big fan of the Echols blog for years. I have two boys and I am always conscious of only keeping enough knives, guns, glass around for them to split in a small safe. Anything extra is gonna be a hassle for my wife or boys and I’d rather spend the money on adventures with them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by buttstock

Exactly. Irfubar has to prove his masculinity every chance he gets. Seems to be compensating..

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buttstock

Exactly. Irfubar has to prove his masculinity every chance he gets. Seems to be compensating..

My apologies Dinny..... I thought you were expressing your thoughts, now I understand you were parroting old wives tales... you should stop that

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by NTO
Now if you don’t sell them before you go make a spreadsheet of the guns with info and a realistic value so your family has some idea. That way whatever they decide to do with them they don’t get cheated.

My father made a spreadsheet like this. It had detailed information on roughly 40 items but his ideas of their value was deeply colored by emotion and his history with each item. He wasn't able to account for regional differences in perception of value, changing trends in gun ownership, the incredibly specialized nature of some of the items, modifications (there were many), ordinary wear, etc.

What are your thoughts on how to arrive at "realistic values"? I'm going through this right now, and I'm finding it to be the toughest part of the problem.

Okie John

I have a "sell quick" pricing and a "take longer" pricing. I have a description of the item described as if I were posting a for sale ad on the fire. I give as much background and condition of the rifle as possible since the executor is unlikely to have that knowledge. I also have a pargraph listing which sites to post them to, how to handle the transaction (FFL's, shippig info, etc).

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I knew a gun shop owner that took in a collection of left handed rifles. They were very nice Sakos, Weatherbys, etc. If I remember correctly there was a total of 15 guns, he had a heck of time selling them and wanted nothing to do with left handed rifles after that

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Col Jeff Cooper thought that “personal” firearms should never be sold but given to someone deemed worthy.

I have fewer firearms than ever and find myself more content. I have 3 or 4 BG hunting rifles. Have been selling everything else.

Something must go before I buy anything. Sell two before I buy one.

Last edited by RinB; 01/01/24.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
First wife I bought two burial spots side-by-side. We divorced. Current wife wants to be buried in her family plot, She says she doesn’t care at all if she doesn’t get any money from my guns, presses, gauges, etc. I told her that was fine, she could just have them dumped into my extra plot when I die. That’s where we stand now. Despite what I posted above in this thread, I bought a shotgun back from a buddy yesterday under one of those “You have to sell it back for what I sold it to you for agreements”. I will have a great time shooting that little wand of a skeet/skeet 28 gauge. I guess I never will understand women.

nalabama

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jericho
I knew a gun shop owner that took in a collection of left handed rifles. They were very nice Sakos, Weatherbys, etc. If I remember correctly there was a total of 15 guns, he had a heck of time selling them and wanted nothing to do with left handed rifles after that

Ain’t that the truth, I sold all my left hand rifles quite a few years ago, except my ULA rimfire which I’ll eventually sell. I think I broke even overall. No one in the family is left handed.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
being left hand, right eye dominate, i had left hand in a Savage m116 with adjustable muzzle brake in '06. all the other bolt action i had/have are right hand rifles. i did do a stock that was left hand and right bolt action.

1944 '98 Mauser in 8x57
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m thinking of selling the biggest part of mine, not getting any younger. I say that,but bought a second Kimber BGR in 270 last week.

Last edited by hanco; 01/06/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m thinking of selling the biggest part of mine, not getting any younger. I say that,but bought a second Kimber BGR in 270 last week.

That's often my problem too! Sold about half my centerfire rifle collection over the past couple of years--then started buying some, along with a New Ithaca Double 12-gauge shotgun in excellent condition! Already have a few very nice SxS shotguns....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I liquidated guns for 2 friends (wives) . I will never, ever, do it again. The nicer ones I sold on here and a few other forums.
The lesser ones went to a dealer (at 1/2 price).

Sell what you don't use now.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.