Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Redneck
I just heard that MN has a new law: "Universal background checks". How will the state actually try to enforce such BS?? Compliance? HAH! Look how 'registration' compliance in IL is turning out..

Gov't = MORONS..

It's a dumb law, as are all such laws, but functionally not a lot different than Wisconsin and not even close to Illinois.

You should probably brush up.
As should you. We do NOT have universal background check laws here, nor do we have 'red-flag' laws either which MN now has as of today. Try to keep up...

To privately sell a handgun or 'assault rifle' in Wisconsin the buyer has to present a permit to acquire or a carry permit to the seller. The background check is inferred. The same is now true in Minnesota, the difference being the seller has to keep a record of the transaction and a copy of the permit. Neither state requires an additional background check. This went into effect on four months ago, so not all that new.

In Minnesota a permit to acquire is good for a year, a carry permit lasts for 5 years.

You are now caught up.

I believe this is all correct except I believe both the buyer and seller need to retain the "form" that is filled out along with a copy of DL and handgun permit for 7 years.

To sell a Remington 870 at a garage sale, no paperwork or "background check" is required...........yet.

Last edited by 160user; 01/01/24.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Originally Posted by JOG
To privately sell a handgun or 'assault rifle' in Wisconsin the buyer has to present a permit to acquire or a carry permit to the seller.

JOG, can you cite where you got this from?

While this lines up with what I think I know, I'm not a Wisconsin resident so I have never tested their rules.

Item #3 from here: The Gun Zone

3. Can I sell a firearm to someone who does not have a firearms purchaser identification card or handgun purchase permit?

No, the buyer must have a valid state-issued firearms purchaser identification card or a handgun purchase permit.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Originally Posted by JOG
To privately sell a handgun or 'assault rifle' in Wisconsin the buyer has to present a permit to acquire or a carry permit to the seller.

JOG, can you cite where you got this from?

While this lines up with what I think I know, I'm not a Wisconsin resident so I have never tested their rules.

Item #3 from here: The Gun Zone

3. Can I sell a firearm to someone who does not have a firearms purchaser identification card or handgun purchase permit?

No, the buyer must have a valid state-issued firearms purchaser identification card or a handgun purchase permit.

Thanks. Wisconsin does not have a firearms purchaser ID card. Or a handgun purchase permit. Private transfers between adults assuming the persons are not prohibited by Wisconsin or Federal law are legal, no background check or other conditions apply.

I quote text from a Wisconsin.gov document from the link I provide below.

BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS
A background check is required under two circumstances: (1) to purchase a firearm from an
FFL; and (2) to apply for a license to carry a concealed weapon in Wisconsin (CCW). The
purpose of a background check is to determine whether a person is ineligible to possess a
firearm for any of the reasons described above.
Federal law requires that a background check be conducted when a person purchases a firearm
through an FFL, and prohibits an FFL from selling or delivering a firearm to a person who the
FFL has reasonable cause to believe is ineligible to possess a firearm because of age, or is
ineligible to possess or purchase a firearm under state law. [18 U.S.C. s. 922 (b) (1) and (2).]
State law similarly prohibits an FFL from transferring possession of a handgun until a successful
background check has been completed. [18 U.S.C. s. 922 (t) and s. 175.35 (2), Stats.]
A person must become licensed as an FFL if he or she devotes time, attention, and labor to
dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business to predominantly earn a profit
through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms. “To predominantly earn a profit” means
that the intent underlying a sale is predominantly one of pecuniary gain, rather than improving
or liquidating a personal collection. A person who makes only occasional sales, exchanges, or
purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby is exempt
from the federal licensing requirement. [18 U.S.C. s. 921 (a) (21) (C) and (22).]
Background check procedures for purchasing a firearm vary depending on whether the firearm
purchased is a handgun or long gun. Background checks for transfers of handguns are
conducted through the state Department of Justice (DOJ) Handgun Hotline. Background checks
for transfers of long guns are conducted through the National Instant Criminal Background
Check System in the Federal Bureau of Investigation (commonly referred to as “NICS”). DOJ’s
Handgun Hotline conducts the background check that is required for a CCW license. In general,
background checks are completed immediately, unless the purchaser is under 21 years of age.
[See 28 C.F.R. s. 25.6 (g), s. Jus 10.06 (2), Wis. Adm. Code, and 34 U.S.C. s. 40901 (l).]

A background check is not required under state or federal law for sales or transfers from sellers
who are not FFLs, including sales or transfers between persons who are not FFLs at an event
that is organized for the purposes of buying and selling firearms, e.g., a “gun show.” As noted
above, however, an FFL must comply with the state and federal background check requirements
regardless of where the sale takes place.

OTHER RESTRICTIONS RELATED TO FIREARM TRANSFERS
Both federal and state law criminalize various acts related to providing false information when
purchasing a firearm or transferring a firearm to a person who is prohibited from possessing a
firearm. Acquiring a firearm for a person who is prohibited from possessing a firearm is
commonly referred to as “straw purchasing.”

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/misc/lc/information_memos/2022/im_2022_04

GOA
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Definitely isn’t any sort of gun buyer permit in Wisconsin.

Private sales require nothing more than a reasonable belief the person is legal to own a gun. It’s on the buyer to know if they can own a gun. Right in line with the federal straw purchase laws.

Our democrats aren’t competent enough to write new ways to infringe on our rights.

Last edited by Hypocrite; 01/01/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JOG is so far off it’s not funny.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260madman
JOG is so far off it’s not funny.

The only information I cited that is wrong: To privately sell a handgun or 'assault rifle' in Wisconsin the buyer has to present a permit to acquire or a carry permit to the seller. Mr. TooDogs asked for the source which I provided.

The information I provided about Minnesota law is correct.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 21, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.