Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I seem to be starting this year out in a normal way. I bought a sight from the Bailey Brower collection at Tulsa and packed it away, I just found where I'd put it a couple days ago. I hadn't looked at it to closely when I got it and the elevator was held on by some old discolored tape that you couldn't really see through, I decided to clean all the off today and was in for a real surprise! Another Savage sight part I had never seen before. Yes, I got really excided over just a sight elevator......
[Linked Image]

At first I thought 'this can't be right?' but I now think it is. I already had one of these sights but it had a different elevator, one I always thought was probably wrong, but I never would have thought the correct elevator would look like this, but this one makes sense.

The other elevator has uneven spacing of the steps and heavy machining marks on the bottom.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can see how that elevator is required for the odd slot & hole sighting on this sight, a standard elevator blocks the view through the hole.
[Linked Image]

I think this rear is a later version, all early literature shows a standard V notch in the rear sight, and a standard elevator.
[Linked Image]
I only have one front sight assembly, I think it also is a later version, the early pictures show an even rim, this one is wider on the sides and the top to better support the lens.

[Linked Image]

I've seen an old ad that say's these could only be furnished for the Model 1899's or Model 1903's, I think the rear with the screw elevation was probably for a Model 1903. Looking at the front I am not surprised that I've found more rears than fronts, I can see where they would have been easily broken. I could not get the front I have to fold down by applying what I thought was a lot of force, I can see where they may have been damaged just from trying to fold them down.

I do plan to put these on a rifle sometime and see if there is any advantage to that odd hole & slot sighting system, and see if the lens do anything, they had to be made specifically for the sight locations on the rifle, so they may not focus correctly unless I'm lucky.

Here are some old pictures of Fug's he said I could use, these look like the catalog pictures with the thin rim front and V notch rear.
[Linked Image]

Gene
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Gene

The three i have are not all the same as the one you show

the one I have mounted has the screw it looks like it will

work fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple of ladders like that but have never seen a rear sight like those.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very interesting. Thanks Gene.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very neat! Good find, again!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Fug, so it appears the screw adjust one was not just for the Model 1903. Does your other one also have a V notch rear?

Norm, are the elevators you have made to fit in a slot like this one, or to fit outside like King, Marble's and the Savage No 15's? Those also keep the elevator from blocking a low sight setting, I'd never thought about that being the reason for that type before.

Rory, I showed that to you and Rick at Tulsa, but it still had the tape over the elevator.

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember seeing it, yep.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you ended with it. I know if there are questions you will find the answer and we will all learn from it. smirk smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

H
H
those are pretty interesting sights.it amazes me what they had back then.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (BigDave39355, Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,238 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.