Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The "who's the best long range shooter" is playing out almost exactly how I've seen it go with handguns. People that say they're "good" and have skillz, only to show up to one USPSA match and never go back after getting smoked. They'll say stuff like "games ain't gunfights" and lie to themselves that shooting fast and accurate from the draw, on the clock, isn't relevant to "the real world." ironically, most saying that stuff have never been in a gunfight.

I will make the assertion that it is a very rare bird that is at the sharp end of any shooting discipline and doesn't use competition to hone skills. People on here actually act like being a top PRS shooter wouldn't help immensely with long range hunting or being a master in USPSA wouldn't help in a gunfight. That's absurd on it's face.

Anyhow, if you haven't ever gone out and competed, do yourself a favor and do it. You don't need the best gear (I shoot USPSA with what I carry) and testing your skills against others and a clock is always a good thing.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Watch youtube, "Texas Plinking". A guy down in Texas has a 1000 yard range and invites people to come down and shoot at a 10" plate at 1000 yards. They get 10 rounds and if they hit the 10" before using up their allotment they can use the rest of their 10 rounds to hit a 5" gong. Watch episode 6 to see some really good shooting.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goalie
The "who's the best long range shooter" is playing out almost exactly how I've seen it go with handguns. People that say they're "good" and have skillz, only to show up to one USPSA match and never go back after getting smoked. They'll say stuff like "games ain't gunfights" and lie to themselves that shooting fast and accurate from the draw, on the clock, isn't relevant to "the real world." ironically, most saying that stuff have never been in a gunfight.

I will make the assertion that it is a very rare bird that is at the sharp end of any shooting discipline and doesn't use competition to hone skills. People on here actually act like being a top PRS shooter wouldn't help immensely with long range hunting or being a master in USPSA wouldn't help in a gunfight. That's absurd on it's face.

Anyhow, if you haven't ever gone out and competed, do yourself a favor and do it. You don't need the best gear (I shoot USPSA with what I carry) and testing your skills against others and a clock is always a good thing.

I used to shoot a lot of sporting clays and trap. 10's of thousands of rounds a summer/month sometimes. Traveled etc.

My hit/kill percentage on ducks and geese is considerably higher than it ever was on clay. Maybe because of the clay games - dunno.

IMO - when it comes to gun games, it's more important to participate at different places. Used to shoot against a lot of guys who made AA or Masters by only shooting tournaments at one course. Get them off that one course and suddenly they're C class shooters. Give me a guy who's a B shooter but shoots courses of fire all over the place over the AA/Master who never leaves home.

Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shot USPSA in the 90s, was an officer and President of our local club for several years.
About once or twice a year a group of law enforcement officers from one branch or another would show up for a match and place at the bottom.

I would be very friendly and invite them back. We would never see them again.

MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Most don't get in many gunfights on the streets to prove their skills, thankfully.

USPSA is a fine way to train and analyze each aspect of your shooting.. IMO, you are spot on !!! You will also meet a lot of good like minded folks

BTW, I shoot with 1/2 dozen cops from a large PD dept. They are serious USPSA shooters, M class on the verge of GM.. Excellent shooters

Last edited by PatB; 01/02/24.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Whether it's competition or just shooting, the common denominator amongst those who shoot real well is that they shoot a lot. I like competition. I like competition that proves the equipment (like BR or "F" class) And the shooter, and I like competition that accents shooter skill (like M-S or Palma). GD

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Or, measure a dick.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
PRS is a great training tool for a LOT of real world stuff.

But, just like anything else, those that need it most won't do it.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Teal
... I used to shoot a lot of sporting clays and trap. 10's of thousands of rounds a summer/month sometimes. Traveled etc.

My hit/kill percentage on ducks and geese is considerably higher than it ever was on clay. Maybe because of the clay games - dunno.

IMO - when it comes to gun games, it's more important to participate at different places. Used to shoot against a lot of guys who made AA or Masters by only shooting tournaments at one course. Get them off that one course and suddenly they're C class shooters. Give me a guy who's a B shooter but shoots courses of fire all over the place over the AA/Master who never leaves home.

+1000 on getting out and shooting different places, different course of fire, rifles, etc. I have a small range set up here on the farm out to 300 yards. I can look like a wizard when new folks show up. But I openly acknowledge, I have a significant "home court" advantage... The other piece of that is "get off the bench". Start shooting field positions, particularly off hand...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Watch youtube, "Texas Plinking". A guy down in Texas has a 1000 yard range and invites people to come down and shoot at a 10" plate at 1000 yards. They get 10 rounds and if they hit the 10" before using up their allotment they can use the rest of their 10 rounds to hit a 5" gong. Watch episode 6 to see some really good shooting.

I just started watching his show about a week ago. Nobody was hitting that ten inch gong. I'll have to check out episode 6.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As a firearms instructor in my agency for 24 of my 26 years on the job. Getting Deputies to an open range date was an exercise in futility. We would see the same few people over and over again. But seldom the people who really needed to be there. It was frustrating!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
even kind of the same way and amongst the competitive world everybody thinks they're chosen discipline is the hardest. and I'm really no different I don't guess. I do love seeing people come and shoot the NRA silhouettes the first time when they realize all the rules regulations and time limits sink in and it's all totally off hand. a lot of people don't come back the second time..
to me it's one of those disciplines you don't even have to win or even place that high to have a really good day as long as you keep bettering yourself..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our IDPA circuit was planned and operated by law enforcement and former Military guys...
It was always interesting and well run.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not unusual at all. Just because you can shoot in one setting doesn't translate to all shooting sports and/or hunting scenarios. And just because you are an excellent hunter doesn't mean you are a high level competitive F-Class shooter.

I've seen a lot of competent shooters fall apart in the field.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 01/02/24.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There isn't anything that builds skill as fast as competition.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I, I, I...what is this damned obsession most here seem to have about everyone else doing things the way they do it?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s always easier to compete with a computer, judging by the Campfire, most of the shooting is done with a keyboard…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by goalie

True^^^

In my limited experience the guys that were winning were also shooting and dry firing a lot.

I still try to shoot as often as possible and can really see what meager skill I have left disappear after missing range time for a while.

The Secret Service shooters would show up fairly regular, especially LR matches. Those guys usually snagged the "X on the first shot" coins.

Shot some IPSC matches with a club that would squad first timers with guys that they knew would guide them and not run them off right out of the gate.

Damned arthritis and a buggered up spine/shoulder will really put a damper on competing.....have fun while you're able!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
even kind of the same way and amongst the competitive world everybody thinks they're chosen discipline is the hardest. and I'm really no different I don't guess. I do love seeing people come and shoot the NRA silhouettes the first time when they realize all the rules regulations and time limits sink in and it's all totally off hand. a lot of people don't come back the second time..
to me it's one of those disciplines you don't even have to win or even place that high to have a really good day as long as you keep bettering yourself..

I think the rifle disciplines that include off hand matches or are shot completely off hand really level the playing field.

Knew a lot of competitors that could nearly clean OTC matches after they got off their feet.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I, I, I...what is this damned obsession most here seem to have about everyone else doing things the way they do it?

Sorry if you're offended by people noticing stuff and talking about it on a discussion forum. If you don't want to discuss different ways to do things, why are you here?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.