Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They knew their shortcomings. They chose not to make changes. They are done I suspect.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got my Garmin today. D*MN this thing is S M A L L.

Anyone had stability issues with it on the bench? Thinking I might fashion something to take the place of the mini-tripod. Thinking a piece of plywood with a bolt thru it, and the front shooting bag set on top of part of the plywood.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I definitely have learned to keep an eye on it while shooting at the bench; pretty easy to inadvertently bump it out of position.

So far mine has been drama free at the range. My usage really hasn't tested the limits though (geometry/construction/velocity).

Here's is a pretty good shake-down of bullet size and velocity where three recent players in the chronograph world are compared. Seems like the Garmin pulls ahead when the Labradar and Magnetospeed start to falter.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The tripod works great. Enjoy the size and weight as is.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been awhile since I dragged my old chronograph out and set it up. With the ease of setting up the Garmin you can bet your azz I’ll spend $600 on one before the end of the year.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Got my Garmin today. D*MN this thing is S M A L L.

Anyone had stability issues with it on the bench? Thinking I might fashion something to take the place of the mini-tripod. Thinking a piece of plywood with a bolt thru it, and the front shooting bag set on top of part of the plywood.

I've had none. I just put it beside my front rest and started shooting. I wouldn't worry.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
If Garmin goes the way they did with dog collars; they will make a good product initially. put the others out of business. then the product will become unreliable and "customer service" (or rather customer dis-service) will be non existent. I own and use the Garmin Alpha dog collars both the 100 and 200i and I've seen Garmin do this thing in this market. OnX maps can't be used with Garmin's newer hand held units, brand new collars or hand held don't work (not even turn on) and Garmin says we'll give you a $100 trade-in credit on a new unit (after spending $800 plus). If there was a comparable alternative I know many people would switch immediately. I used to recommend the Garmin Alpha collars to all my dog friends but after so many have had issues I'm hesitant to recommend them like I used to.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tops911
If Garmin goes the way they did with dog collars; they will make a good product initially. put the others out of business. then the product will become unreliable and "customer service" (or rather customer dis-service) will be non existent. I own and use the Garmin Alpha dog collars both the 100 and 200i and I've seen Garmin do this thing in this market. OnX maps can't be used with Garmin's newer hand held units, brand new collars or hand held don't work (not even turn on) and Garmin says we'll give you a $100 trade-in credit on a new unit (after spending $800 plus). If there was a comparable alternative I know many people would switch immediately. I used to recommend the Garmin Alpha collars to all my dog friends but after so many have had issues I'm hesitant to recommend them like I used to.

Instead of wondering what's going to happen 10 years from now I think I'll continue to enjoy my unit now.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Has anyone used this unit in below freezing temperatures?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
One of the fellas had his out the other day Chuck, it was about -12c.
No issues at all. I am sure we will be seeing them on the line later this month as well, and we are heading into the deep freeze up here!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There is no doubt about it fellas, we are living in the golden age of availability...if only we could source large primers.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I have, but it was not a hard freeze. About 28°

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by catnthehat
One of the fellas had his out the other day Chuck, it was about -12c.
No issues at all. I am sure we will be seeing them on the line later this month as well, and we are heading into the deep freeze up here!
Cat

I have one enroute and it should be here on Monday. -30 here next week so I’ll give it a whirl. :-)

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mine is catching 3700 FPS .17 Ackley easily. Its worked in sub-freezing temps, but it never gets too awfully cold here. I've fired about 300 rounds downrange with the Garmin and I've yet to have a bad reading.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Got mine in today and will put it to use tomorrow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had my buddy at the local archery shop order me one......anyone need a ProChrony and MagnetoSpeed?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got mine today (finally!). First thing I noticed was how tiny the shickenchit little plastic tripod was. Didn't want to chance it blowing off, or getting inadvertently knocked off the bench. I figgered that was reason enough to spend $20 on a tripod upgrade. I reckon a wider footprint will be more stable, and adjustable for a tad more height when prone or in un-mowed grass. A little tabletop aluminum job with a ballhead from amazon fits the bill just right.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQSPF4J/?th=1

You can use it with, or without the ballhead. I chose to leave it attached to the head, and swing and lock the unit to side when not in use. It is 5"x9 1/2" when folded. A couple pics, with and without the head....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by huntsman22; 01/09/24. Reason: clean up link
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huntsman22 - great find on the tripod! I have not knocked over mine at the range, however, it is a concern. I can see how that tripod solves that issue. Ordered one.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks like they are out. the link isn't to the same one I bought now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your shooting range sure sucks...NOT!
Beautiful!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,333
Posts18,487,621
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.