Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DME Offline OP
OP Offline
D
For anyone who might be interested . . .

A Sako Finwolf VL63 (308 Win) is coming up in an auction tomorrow in Rogers, Ohio. The auction opens at 12:00 noon EST. The auction is being handled by BaerAuctions.com and the terms and conditions for online bidding can be found Proxibid and/or HiBid.com. I'm not personally familar with the Sako Finwolf, but it is apparently a quality firearm with an emerging collecting interest.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've never owned a Finwolf, but they have always kind of intrigued me. There were not that many of them made and you don't see them come up for sale often, but they have always brought better money than Savages 99s or Winchester 88s.

I used to visit and consult a farmer in Pa. that was living on the edge of poverty. I liked the guy and did everything I could to help him. If he heard of a Finwolf for sale he would drive 500 miles to buy it. That was many years ago before gunbroker and the internet.

I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever had one and what they thought of them?

Not that I need another rabbit hole....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have handled a Sako Finnwolf, I will note that it is not a light firearm. The action is also a little weird feeling, but very smooth. I think it was a 308W model, the LGS was selling on consignment for $1200, and it disappeared in about a week.

The action, as best as I can describe it, felt 'springy,' - but again, smooth and seemed to be solid. It's a very interesting gear driven system. Does it have any quantifiable advantage besides being Sako? No idea.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have both the 243 and 308. They are the 2 rifles in the center. They are extremely well made and the lock up in the action is a rotating bolt that secures the cartridge in the action, much the same as a bolt action. They are accurate and very functional…

Originally Posted by 99guy
I've never owned a Finwolf, but they have always kind of intrigued me. There were not that many of them made and you don't see them come up for sale often, but they have always brought better money than Savages 99s or Winchester 88s.

I used to visit and consult a farmer in Pa. that was living on the edge of poverty. I liked the guy and did everything I could to help him. If he heard of a Finwolf for sale he would drive 500 miles to buy it. That was many years ago before gunbroker and the internet.

I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever had one and what they thought of them?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do they require slave pins to disassemble?

I screwed up and put a cold model 88 in a closet in a thick gun case. She rusted up to the point I couldn’t work the action. It was close to collector grade before I screwed it up.

How are the triggers?

Do they weigh more or less than the 88?

Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have both the 243 and 308. They are the 2 rifles in the center. They are extremely well made and the lock up in the action is a rotating bolt that secures the cartridge in the action, much the same as a bolt action. They are accurate and very functional…

Ooh noo...... eek

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Finnwolf in the auction went for $1500.00 + Buyer premium...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Hey Shrapnel, what is the smaller full stock caliber?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alan_C

Hey Shrapnel, what is the smaller full stock caliber?

Probably one of the most scarce Sako mannlichers in 223…

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been to the SAKO factory when I worked for Beretta, as Beretta owns Sako. I will tell you that their firearms are built with best possible craftsmanship. The way they hammer forge a rifle barrel, and hammer-forge the rifling instead of cutting it, is just amazing. While there they took me on a moose hunt, and put me on stand, and as I heard the dogs barking in the distance . . . I fell asleep from severe jet-lag, despite my attempts to stay awake. Then they drank scotch at 10am, which was not for me. Off point, but a good memory!

IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,347
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.