Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A few years ago I noticed that a Federal Fusion .308 case had split at the shoulder after firing, and last week I noticed a .270 case with a dent straight out of the box. I don't recall Remington or other various brands of factory ammunition having similar issues. Has Federal been having QC problems as of late?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington is legendary for dents

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't fool much with factory ammo, but for some reason I ended up 2 boxes of Black Hills 'Gold' 178 gr eldx in '06. Weather was good yesterday for a change, so I decided to shoot some of it, much to my surprise...6 rounds in one box were primed empties. I examined the empties...they appeared brand new, no sign of a factory crimp...just no powder, no bullet. From what I heard about Black Hills, they are supposed to be all about quality. Strange.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a box of new 7x57 Remington cartridges a few years ago that had a bullet seated shorter than the others. Then I noticed it would spin. Then I pulled on it and the bullet came out. The neck was split.

Other than that and having Winchester ammo that looks like it was crimped with a pair of vise grips I’ve haven’t had too many issues. That dent wouldn’t bother me.

Last edited by Futura; 01/02/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don’t know about federal…

I once dissected a Winchester Xpert steel waterfowl load. The shot was all different shapes and sizes and several pellets had holes in them like a do-nut. I switched to Federal steel and my kill rate when up immediately.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had some federal fusion in 7.62x39 that split necks like crazy and allowed bullet setback well into the case. But it was freaking accurate and killed stuff.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Remington is legendary for dents

Over the years I've shot Remington AccuTips, Ballistic Tips, Core-Lokts, and ERBTs, and I don't recall having any dented cases. However, it's been a while since I've bought any Remington ammunition, other than the odd box of Core-Lokts for the initial few shots after cleaning barrels.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Back in the early 70’s I bought a box of Norma .44 magnum “Carbine Loads” with 240 grain HP’s, one of which in the box of 20 was seated backward.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Lol, guy asks about federal ammo quality control and 12 replies about everything but federal comes along.

I think you have your answer bud. Rare. I’ve only ever shot factory and federal has always been a go to for top ammo.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not to mention, who knows what that 1 shell went through from manufacture to retail sale. I've bought factory ammo and when I opened the box, there were different shells in the box. People do a lot of weird stuff when they can get their hands on it! Very good friend used to be one of the managers at the Kenosha Gander Mountain. Amazing the stories he used to tell me about what people did to merchandise sitting on a shelf. Point being, that shell may not of come from Federal that way.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Been using alot of Federal .22LR, 350L and shotshells over past 6 months. Zero issues. But Winchester is terrible. I sent back two 350L boxes with QC issues last year, and have another three boxes of 350L waiting to be reported & sent back. Ditto their (lower shelf) shotshells.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I was shooting some HSM 45 Colt a few years ago and one shot didn't 'boom' like the rest. Turned out it had no powder, but the primer was enough to send/lodge the bullet in the barrel of my S&W. Fortunately, I wasn't shooting fast action and was cognizant enough to stop and check the barrel before firing the next round. Had to pound the bullet out with a rod.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't say much about federal mostly because I very rarely use their product. Results I got on a hunt way back in the 1970s soured me on Federal ammo. Shot a nice eating sizes Mule Deer back in 1973. Shot was IIRC about 35 yards and the deer took off at a run. Found blood where I shot it and was confident I'd made a good hit. I sat down and has a smoke, then took up the trail. The blood petered out in about 50 yards so I tried to look around and try to spot the deer. My wife was with me and we looked until it was too dark to see anything. BTW, I'd shot that deer at just about 8AM. I went out the next AM and found the deer when I spotted the birds. Damned coyotes didn't lave much. Guess they ate quite well with dinner on me. When I got home later that day I decided to sell that rifle, a neat lightweight custom on an M93 Mauser. I kept the ammo though never giving much thought why I did so. Years later I acquired another rifle in 7x57 and just shot reloads until I got a chronograph. That M93 had a 23" barrel and the rifle I bought as a replacement about seven years later was a Ruger tang safety with 22" barrel. I ran some of that Federal 175 gr. round nose over the Chrony and got barely over 2000 FPS. I'd pulled a couple of bullets and sectioned them and felt the jackets were too tough to properly expand. I still think so.

I haven't had any problems with Winchester brass other that ironing out bent necks, but I get that with every brand of brass, sometimes worse, sometimes a lot worse but I catch the and fix them whenever possible.

Only problems I've ever had with Remington has been one batch of 100 new cases were not properly annealed and I lost about 25 out 100 cases. I annealed the survivors and they worked just fine. The other problems was with a bag of Remington nickel plated brass that had severely crushed necks that were not salvageable, so I took what was good and sold them.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've been testing some Federal Premium ammo recently in 3 cartridges and haven't come across the issues mentioned. Just so happens the nominal MVs are remarkably close to the actuals I've been getting.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have some federal power shoks on hand. 180 and 150 grain 308 winchester. Excellent! It was tough for me to match the accuracy of both bullet weights with handloads

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Not to mention, who knows what that 1 shell went through from manufacture to retail sale. I've bought factory ammo and when I opened the box, there were different shells in the box. People do a lot of weird stuff when they can get their hands on it! Very good friend used to be one of the managers at the Kenosha Gander Mountain. Amazing the stories he used to tell me about what people did to merchandise sitting on a shelf. Point being, that shell may not of come from Federal that way.

Apparently there was more than one dented case in the box. Guess it could have been a Monday or Friday box . . .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

Apparently there was more than one dented case in the box. Guess it could have been a Monday or Friday box . . .

Looks like something was wrong in the brass production line. Or they had something in the dies that they make the ammo with? I'm sure that happens with any manufacture. The reason they probably have to check their equipment often. The only thing I've seen with my factory Federal ammo is minute corrosion:

The blue box Federal ammo usually shoots very well in my rifles though. I don't buy factory ammo, but if I did, I'd just as soon just buy that stuff.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi bsa1917hunter, just wondering have you ever seen a bad round in a box of Winchester SuperX? I never have.

Also, which do you prefer out of your BSA's, Winchester or Federal?

Cheers ~ cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/03/24.

KB

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm more of a goodenuff guy rather than a precision shooter ... and with uncertain supplies ... it's just as easy in my '06's to buy Fed bluebox, and save the brass. I like the smaller internal capacity of Fed brass because I tend toward faster powders in the '06 than most guys.
Anyway, I just opened 4 boxes of bluebox bought over an extended time, nary a blemish. At one time I tried to identify the powder used in '06 bluebox, thinking I could home brew the load myself, but I never could identify the powder, probably not a canister retail powder. It is a ball powder, a fairly large coarse powder for ball, no metallic sheen like most ball powders. It physically appears to be the same powder in 150 and 180 gr loads. 54.8 and 51.4 respectively.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great post!

Agreed..........dead is dead. Dead is good enough for me.

I do understand why people load, whether it's to save money if you shoot lots of rounds, or if you want to develop a special load for a certain long-range rifle, or if you just want a hobby and need a challenge, it's all good.

Growing up and hand-loading thousands upon thousands of shotgun rounds, I am not interested in hand-loading another round.

I have never had any issues killing animals or birds with factory rounds by a shotgun or rifle cartridge manufacturer, and as I mentioned I have never seen, not once, a bad round out of a Winchester SuperX or a Nosler Trophy ABLR box. Every round has been accurate and deadly.

KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 12 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,102
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.