Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The main things I find going obsolete these days are... the GunWriters. We really don’t need their advice or opinions to make good decisions concerning what rifle/caliber/bullet to shoot anymore. Just my 2 cents.
peak98

Originally Posted by Desertranger
I just read on the internet an article comparing the 25-05 vs 270 Winchester vs 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m saddened to learn my beloved 25-06 is an obsolete cartridge! Wonder if it still can harvest Desert Bighorns, Mule and Coues Deer plus Pronghorns like it once did?

Originally Posted by beretzs

I used an 06 with 212 ELD this year. I kinda joked with my buddies it was sorta like a 6.5 Creed with some ballz...
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Sounds like a clickbait piece to me. Get the boys all worked up and pocket the nickels.

Don’t have one, and always figgered my .270s filled the same role and offered a bit of bonus bullet weight, but it’s a fine round, and like the .270 could be updated a bit with a faster twist barrel to shoot the few high B.C. bullets available, if that trips your trigger. Not worth it to me here in the Wild East; 100-160gr are plenty.

If I had one, I’d find some high-quality brass and pick up 200-300, along with a supply of bullets it liked, because the ammo and component market is pretty iffy. IIRC .25 fans here have been complaining about their favorite bullets being discontinued for a while now. Prepare, Grasshopper!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
25-06, so easy to handload. Good velocity. Light recoil. Excellent accuracy & flat trajectory. Quick kills...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It might be going out of style, but it sure seems like a lot of us here on the Fire still like and use it.

Guy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cascade is that the 100 or 115 gr Ballistic tip?

GreggH

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GreggH
Cascade is that the 100 or 115 gr Ballistic tip?

GreggH

That's the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip. It's done real well for me. Typically I load it with Retumbo for about 3150 fps from the 24" barrel.

Regards, Guy

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by swag
Originally Posted by Bugger
When I die, I hope to have the bean-counters at Hornady be my pall bearers so they can let me down one last time.

Made me laugh, TFF 😂

Bears repeating atleast one more time, no truer words ever spoken...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Obsolete as a term can mean a few things.

One meaning is "no longer useful". I think everyone hear agrees the 25-06 is still plenty useful.

Another would be "outmoded in design". There is no question that the 6.5mm Creedoor is a better design so yes the 25-06 is obsolete in that defintion.

10 years from now there won't be any comercial rifles chambered for the 25-06 and factory ammo will be scarce as hens teeth. That does not mean the 25-06 is not still useful then for someone who makes their own ammo but if you need to buy store bought ammo a 25-06 is not going to be very useful.

Twist rate and throat design are what holds the 25-06 back. If you get a custom barrel and custom throat then it's not a 25-06 anymore.

Times move on and lots of 250-3000 Savage rifle owners hated it when the 25-06 made that cartridge "obsolete". That's pretty close to the 6.5mm Creedmoor but for a few 0.001s of bullet diameter and twist/throat design.

All this.

I know it's hard for most to relate here, but many of these sorts of discussions and articles are centered around and driven by availability of FACTORY AMMO.
And if the company that put the 25.06 into the world no longer deems it worthwhile, that ought to be a smoke signal that all can see from about any distance.

Fully capable/useful? Heck yes.
Supported? No.

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 25-06 that I'm fond of, but it really doesn't do anything that the other rounds in the safe can't accomplish. I shoot the 115 NBT from my Kimber Montana and it's performed well. No magic, just kills about like everything else I use. In all honesty, I can't tell a difference between it and anything from .223 on up for deer. Most of my shots are within 200 yards and I bust lungs. They all have a short death dash then it's over. With all that being said, I still think the 270 is a better cartridge in a long action.

As far as being obsolete, it's not there yet for me. I have more components for it than I'll ever use. If I had it to do all over again, I would have picked a two or three centerfire cartridges and piled up supplies for those chamberings. Instead I have mixture of stuff that doesn't get used much....and the 25-06 wouldn't have been in that line up. I still like it though. I bought it because of the rifle, not the round.

I killed a buck and a doe this year with my 25-06 Montana. Buck was about 70 yards across a powerline. The blood spot in the picture below was the exit. The 115 NBT entered a couple inches back from the crease and left a small exit hole. Insides were trashed. Ran about 30 yards and rolled.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice buck!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cascade,
I use the CT version of the same bullet (for aesthetics) in my 25-284 and agree completely with your assessment. It has been very impressive for such a small bullet. Like through shoulder and 3/4 of the remainder of 250 +lb hogs. Deer don’t stop them.

SA’
Real nice!

GreggH

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Useful but sales lagging...I've had one ever since Remington made it a factory cartridge.

Another under that category is the 204 Ruger.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
After Hornady stopped making my favorite 120 gr open point bullet I rebarreled mine. But one thing I've noticed is regardless of bullet weights, lots of people like the quick kills associated with this caliber. There must be something going on, it rocks!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by StrayDog
After Hornady stopped making my favorite 120 gr open point bullet I rebarreled mine. But one thing I've noticed is regardless of bullet weights, lots of people like the quick kills associated with this caliber. There must be something going on, it rocks!!

I've found them at 2 different shops here, so I snagged them..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Caplock
Useful but sales lagging...I've had one ever since Remington made it a factory cartridge.

Sadly, the 204R is a short lived cartridge. Not that I'm going to say that about the 25-06, because it's been around for quite a while now. I know some guys that love that 204, but it is one that falls on its face after 300 yards. I've found the 22-250 to be a much better cartridge. But I digress...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That company actually no longer exists except in name, which I’m sure you know, and are likely having trouble keeping the wolf from the door, leaving little spare change for supporting marginal “earners” as they say in the mob shows. Maybe later they can crank out a “Classic” version and get the ammo company to make a run or two.

These threads always pique my curiosity and I just checked and found ammo, some under $30, and brass, too dear for me I’m afraid. Better to buy some boxes of Prvi and reload the empties. Anyway, there’s enough available that fans can take charge of their situations.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sadly, the 204R is a short lived cartridge. Not that I'm going to say that about the 25-06, because it's been around for quite a while now. I know some guys that love that 204, but it is one that falls on its face after 300 yards. I've found the 22-250 to be a much better cartridge. But I digress...

Yep its been around 104+ years. Neidner in 1920 but some sources say that Springfield Armory developed a 25.06 during WW1 and thats where Neidner and a bunch of other gunsmiths got the dies and other tooling. Niedner also built the first 257 Roberts rifle for Ned Roberts. The problem for the 25 Niedner and a boon for the Roberts was the powder selection was to fast for the 25 Niedner but worked fine in the Roberts. IMR powders in the 30’s cured both.

Swifty
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Oh no,I better get rid of this XTR FWT cry [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I believe you should. What do you need for it?

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That hasn't been my experience, but I mostly use the .204 for prairie dogs. In general it's my 300-500 yard PD round--after the closer dogs have been killed or spooked by .17s. Beyond 500 I use either a 1-8 twist .223, or a 13-pound 6XC. (Oh, and while we still have a couple .22-250s, they have 1-8 twists and get used for deer and pronghorns these days.)

While the latest iteration of Remington has apparently dropped the .204 in their rifles, Ruger still chambers it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just saying the Lebel was one of the oldest and most obsolete cartridges on the planet. If I can do a quick search and find it available I don’t see the 25-06 going anywhere. In fact today at the local Family Farm and Home I found four different varieties of 25-06 on the shelf.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sam
Originally Posted by brinky72
Just saying the Lebel was one of the oldest and most obsolete cartridges on the planet. If I can do a quick search and find it available I don’t see the 25-06 going anywhere. In fact today at the local Family Farm and Home I found four different varieties of 25-06 on the shelf.

Same sort of deal in the local stores here, even in a relatively small Montana town of less than 2000 people. The two stores that regularly stock ammo are both ranch/hardware type stores.

Also one of my friends who's long been one the most successful local elk hunters has been using it for years now. Like a lot of elk hunters who started in the 1960s and 70s, he jumped on the magnum trend and used 7mms and .300s, then grew weary of the recoil. One of his first "downsizing" rounds was the .257 Weatherby, but had been using the .25-06 for a while now, taking a 6-point in the Missouri Breaks when he drew a bull tag a couple years ago. (Oh, and he doesn't use "premium" bullets.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (007FJ, 44mc, 808outdoors, 7887mm08, 35, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.