Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I always lusted after the 257 and 270 Weatherbys. Never owned one but always wanted one. I had three three 25-06s and every one of them was a deer killing machine. They just seemed to be the right combination with 100-120 bullets for DRT kills on deer. Perhaps I need another one 🤔

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Certainly not obsolete, but once I got a 270 and shot it with 130 grain bullets, I haven’t shot my 25-06 since…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an article from 1932 called "Obsolete Deer Rifles" by Lee Cady. It goes on to explain how the 32-40 and 38-55 are superior to the 30-30 and 30-06. So the obsolete term has been being applied to cartridges for at least that long

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The real killing power of an accurately aimed 25-06 is with 115-120 grain bullets not the lighter ones. Shoot enough deer and antelope with both you will see the fifference.
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As is the 270 lol

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 25/06 has fallen my lifecylce.
I believe I was 12 when I had read that it would be chambered in the model 700.
I then energetically told my Uncle about this...he then when out and promptly ordered one.
I inherited the rifle when he passed, but he had loaned it to me all along.
It was a game getter, Bull Elk and Moose, Mountain Goat and Sheep...and our deer. Once I was tempted on a Boar Grizzly.
115 & 120 Nosler Partitions.
If drilling little holes on paper and Game is obsolete...count me in

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've been shooting a 25.06 for over 35yrs and it is and always has been my favorite caliber. The Speer 120gr Hot-cor is my favorite bullet, it's very accurate from my CDL and it is without a doubt pure deer poison. The 25.06 isn't obsolete here or will it ever be. Mike

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I absolutely agree about some gun writers, especially 2 who are brothers: if it's not the latest and greatest(and most expensive), it's not good enough and is obsolete. We all should ignore gun writers with the exception of John Barness and Craig Boddington.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed a pile of stuff using re 19 and 100 gr. TTSX's.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I don;t see the .25-06 hampered by twist and bullet selection. I have shot game with it to about 450 yards. Minimum hold over perfect hit. I think too many hunters are brain washed by this quick twist bs and the need for longer bullets. Maybe if you are shooting target but for hunting bullsh&t. Too much of Stick's mentality.
You’re arguing BC at 450 yards. Is your argument the same at 650? It’s really irrelevant how many people are “brainwashed” and only whether a higher BC helps people. Why holdover? Aren’t you concerned about drift? Why is this associated to another firemember? Data are facts and have no innate value, people assign their feelings to them.

One point is that few ethical hunters are good enough shots to pull the trigger on a big game animal beyond 400 or so yards, in perfect conditions. A lot fewer should take such a shot in imperfect conditions. All of that isn’t taking into account the animal moving unexpectedly, especially during bullet flight. At 700 yards, that’s about a full second for a 127 gr. LRX from a Creedmoor. That also includes 43” of wind drift in a 10 MPH crosswind. You’d better be good at judging wind and guessing crosswinds down range.

Much closer is much better…and this thread is getting me thinking about a 25-06 again. laugh

At least brass will never be a problem!

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well said Wyo’ and PL’. I definitely would not starve if “hampered “ by a 450 yard limit. Nothing wrong with the 25-06.
GreggH

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
Let’s see how many wildcats based on the Creadmore case design reach the state of being commercially successful cartridges.

The gold standard is the 30-06 case which produced the 25-06, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 338-06, and 35 Whelen, not to mention several other wildcats.

When the creadewhatever case produces 5 other commercial cartridges, then its designers can legitimately boast.

Until then, pipe down.

I wonder if the creed case could even push a .358 rifle bullet out the barrel to a distance of 100 yards, mich less 200 yards. Anybody want to trust a creed cartridge to stop a charging predacious grizzly?

Well there are about a zillion of them already simply because the .308 is the parent case for the Creedmoor.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Let’s see how many wildcats based on the Creadmore case design reach the state of being commercially successful cartridges.

The gold standard is the 30-06 case which produced the 25-06, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 338-06, and 35 Whelen, not to mention several other wildcats.

When the creadewhatever case produces 5 other commercial cartridges, then its designers can legitimately boast.

Until then, pipe down.

I wonder if the creed case could even push a .358 rifle bullet out the barrel to a distance of 100 yards, mich less 200 yards. Anybody want to trust a creed cartridge to stop a charging predacious grizzly?

Well there are about a zillion of them already simply because the .308 is the parent case for the Creedmoor.

you mean the 30 TC is the parent case.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been using a 25-06 for a while and a 204 on prairie dogs for a couple of years. They both seem to me to be great cartridges for their intended purposes. The 204 is a better cartridge than the 223 for PD’s but I use it too.
To me, when premium bullets came out for the 25-06, the cartridge was raised to a whole new level. Having written that, mostly what I shoot in the 25-06 has been 100 grain Hornady bullets and they are great deer and antelope bullets. I’ve never taken the 25-06 elk hunting, but that’s not due to the cartridge’s shortfall.

There’s lots of neat tools for showing bullet drop, defection due to wind, energy, & bullet velocity out to distances way beyond where I’d shoot game at.
Compare the 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06 etc to the new cartridges. If you do, you might be surprised at results. It’s not as big a deal as you might think.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/21/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’ve been using a 25-06 for a while and a 204 on prairie dogs for a couple of years. They both seem to me to be great cartridges for their intended purposes. The 204 is a better cartridge than the 223 for PD’s but I use it too.
To me, when premium bullets came out for the 25-06, the cartridge was raised to a whole new level. Having written that, mostly what I shoot in the 25-06 has been 100 grain Hornady bullets and they are great deer and antelope bullets. I’ve never taken the 25-06 elk hunting, but that’s not due to the cartridge’s shortfall.

There’s lots of neat tools for showing bullet drop, defection due to wind, energy, & bullet velocity out to distances way beyond where I’d shoot game at.
Compare the 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06 etc to the new cartridges. If you do, you might be surprised at results. It’s not as big a deal as you might think.
Bingo! I have taken both mature Bull Elk & Moose with my 25/06. One of each, both abour 250 yards, good conditions and both were broadside shots .
This was in 1982 & 83 and I used (1 )120 Partition on each. Textbook, kills and the Moose didn't take a step.
I carried my model 700 on my Sheep hunts in those days. The only negative( for me) was the longer barrel
Unless we are purer than the driven snow, or a saint,we have cartridge biases
Yeah, I don't see any improvement on the older chamberings and 400 yards is a questionable range with any Elk cartridge/ rifle combination .
Elk hunting around here, I am usually on a brushy , timbered mountainside, I am puffing like an old steam engine and I have had hunters shoot from over me. Further from the Bull ,missing or worse.
I have raised livestock, love my horses and love our wildlife. I see hunting as an extention of these things.
Maybe, it is a question of fair chase. What exactly is fair chase these days?
Sorry, I digressed a little...
My little old opinion

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 25-06 Rem IMO could be at it’s best with today’s available powders. It was hell on game when it was a wildcat with no good powders or bullets available. With today’s powders it could reach it’s optimum performance. Unfortunately it now appears to be handicapped because of the lack of high BC bullet availability and hunters that think they need a 1,000 yard rig for all their needs. In truth it’s great for a low recoiling zipper of a round that puts game down. Trouble is most want a chamber that could be a bit more reliable on larger game at a distance, enter the 270 WCF.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tdoyka

Until then, pipe down.

Whose parent case is??

Basically all .473 case head cartridges are off of the '06 if one wants to split hairs.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Until then, pipe down.

Whose parent case is??

Basically all .473 case head cartridges are off of the '06 if one wants to split hairs.

If I recall correctly, the 8x57 was .473" before even the 06.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Until then, pipe down.

Whose parent case is??

If I recall correctly, the 8x57 was .473" before even the 06.
👍🏻

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Honestly, between my son and I we've topped over 200+ animals with 25-06's over a 20 year span here in Texas and never thought we needed anything else. Most of these were taken in West Texas, culling large ranches for exotics and hogs and yes, a lot were head shots at closer ranges. For the 200-400 yard shots, the only thing that mattered was shot placement and the bullet used.

Know having said that, I just recommended to a new 26 year old hunter that's like a second son to me to buy a 6.5 Creedmore for hunting here in Texas instead. Do I think it's "better" than the 25-06? No, I don't but twist rates, ammo selection(he doesn't reload), and inherent accuracy of the CM make it a "no brainer."

Hope this helps.

BBQ

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (BALLISTIK, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,176 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.