Print Thread
Hop To
G
gdc2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Looking to lengthen the throat of my 6.5-284 Win (Short action) rifle. It is built so that the max cartridge length that the action /magazine will handle is approx 2.92 inches while still being able to fit in the magazine and eject a live round. It has a Douglas 1-9" twist barrel and will currently chamber a loader round using a Swift Scirocco of approx 2.90" but when using the Hornady 129 gr interlock the longest OAL I can chamber is 2.76" due to the longer ogive. I would like to lengthen the throat approx .100 so that I can shoot the Hornady bullet at a longer more usable OAL and also possibly provide the jump that the Swift bullet may like. When renting a throat reamer will the standard reamer kit work for me with the larger diameter of the .284 shell as the sleeve provided will have the proper 30 degree angle but will be a loose fit not providing side to side support. Will the lead of the reamer in the rifling provide enough support ? Any advice appreciated or if anyone knows a gunsmith that will do this at a reasonable charge preferably in the NorthEast. This is the reamer I am thinking of renting.

https://4drentals.com/product/6-5mm-precision-throater/

Thank you
gdc

Last edited by gdc2; 01/03/24.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Throating reamers only cut the throat and lead. They do not work on the shoulder or rest of the chamber (if I understood your question).
In the case of the 6.5-284, you would need a 6.5 throater (as you linked) but the parent case has nothing to do with it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
An operation conducted by many savvy smiths and shooters. Key to success depends as much on accurate employment of the reamer as the design/specs of the reamer itself.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldnt worry about renting a throater, there's a good chance if you pick a smiths who's been around awhile he will have one. Try Mark King in PA.

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/04/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you have never throated a barrel, and you do not have a lathe or access, suggest you give it to a smith to do.
Two best ways to screw up a barrel is to cut a crown or throat off perpendicular to the bore.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rapier
If you have never throated a barrel, and you do not have a lathe or access, suggest you give it to a smith to do.
Two best ways to screw up a barrel is to cut a crown or throat off perpendicular to the bore.

Would you mind clarifying the last comment on the throating?

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If your reamer isn’t perfectly aligned with the bore it won’t cut the throat in perfect alignment with the bore. Therefore when you fire the rifle the bullet will yaw a bit causing accuracy issues. It doesn’t take much to be off. When the barrel is put into the lathe chuck it is lined up with the center of the lathe tail stock where the reamer is so this doesn’t happen. Its been a few years since I did any machining so this is a basic run down. I’m sure you can YouTube the process and it will make sense once you’ve seen it done

Last edited by brinky72; 01/06/24.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For one thing, your theory about the tailstock alignment is all wet you are correct to assume the throat should align with the bore, but not the tailstock, they are often not aligned correctly. The barrel should be aligned in the lathe with the bore concentric with the axis of the lathe on both ends. The pilot on the throater should be fairly close fit to bore.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
All of my throaters are simple piloted reamers. There are some rudimentary skill requirements, but it is a straight forward operation (no pun intended). One potential issue is if you are trying to ream a 5R barrel (five groove) with the typical six groove reamer. The reamer will have a tendency to deflect due to uneven cutting forces. For five groove barrels, a five fluted reamer of a spiral fluted reamer will work OK. A very close fitting pilot is beneficial as well. I'm working on some instructional videos which I'll put on You Tube in the next 2 or 3 weeks (video production is harder than I thought!) and the use of a throater is one of the intended subjects.
I have seen some more complicated throater set-ups in recent years but have never tried one. I probably never will. GD

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Greydog, Give us a heads up when your videos hit broadway. I've always had a fear of independent throating, so many rocks and shoals, such poor navigational aids.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1911a1, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,723
Posts18,514,249
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.