Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19072302 01/03/24
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In 35+ years of reloading - I've never had one of my reloads not fire. Today at the range, I was shooting my 7mm08 with a Winchester primer. It didn't fire. I shot it again - it didn't fire. All the other ones were fine. Ever had this happen? [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bad primer, or maybe even a piece of tumbling media in the flash hole?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bad primer I think. New Nosler brass so there was no media. Glad it didn’t happen on a Cape Buffalo hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's happen to me 2 times over the years. Bad primers happen.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A few years ago there was a problem with Winchester large rifle primers, I returned them for a full refund. Their website may still have info regarding affected lot numbers.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bad primer I think. New Nosler brass so there was no media. Glad it didn’t happen on a Cape Buffalo hunt.

For sure. Can you let us know how old the primers are? Thanks. Winchester had some issues with their primers about 5 years ago. Those were known to crater bolt faces, due to gas escaping. One reason I don't like to buy Winchester primers.

I dip into some CCI200's (on occasion) that were made in the 70's, and they always go bang. Mainly use those old ones in my friends 22-250 and 270 win ammo. Paid $1/100 for them a few years ago. Couldn't pass up that deal, and bought a couple bricks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a model 70 that would no pop a cci primer. All others went bang.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Only come across that in factory ammo.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve had two guns that did it. The most recent one has done it with two different lots of primers. A couple of the rounds fired the second time I tried to shoot them but the others didn’t. The fact it happened with two different lots of primers made me think it’s a problem with the firing pin or spring. I disassembled the bolt and cleaned everything with brake cleaner and a light coat of oil. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll install a spring with slightly extra power from Wolff springs.

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Happened twice with me in same gun working on a load for 30/06 savage 116. I changed primers and no problem since. Primers were Remington 9.5. I don’t know if it was primer or a light strike. I wish I would have kept them. Any way I have in my reloading notes for that gun in pretty bold writing Do not use Remington 9.5 primers

IC B3

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Funny this comes up now, since this just happened on my 444 reloads, using Remington 9 1/2 LR primers. I was recently checking the zero on my CVA V2 Scout in 444 Marlin. I had not 1 but 2 rounds fail to fire. The firing pin was hitting the primers but neither one went off, even after trying a 2nd time. All the other rounds went off just fine. IIRC I bought these primers about 5 or so years ago and they had been kept in my home reloading room (climate controlled of course). Also, all of my previous reloads using the Rem 9 1/2 primers (with exception of the 2 mentioned) have fired without a hitch. I only have about 15 reloads to go before I need to do more. I may well change primers when I do more reloads, though I must say that the rounds I have reloaded to-date have been scary accurate with the Rem 9 1/2s.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So far only had it happen a couple times early on reloading when using the RCBS press style primer seater. The reason was simple, I couldn't tell by feel when they were properly seated and had some that were not.

Went to a hand primer shortly after, and I've never had a fail to fire so far with any brand of primer.

I have a buddy that had a factory ammo cartridge not go off on a deer a couple yrs back. Can't remember the brand though. He ejected that one and the next one went off.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Could be one of several issues: primer pocket too deep, primer not seated fully, weak firing pin spring, gummed up firing pin (think WD40), excessive headspace in rifle, case sized too small causing excessive headspace, primer contamination, and yes, a bad primer. In my experience a faulty primer is the least likely (but still possible) reason for the rifle to not go bang.
The issue with the recalled Winchester primers had to do with the sides "burning through" causing bolt face pitting. They always went bang and were great primers other than that pesky side blow out thing.
Cheers

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Only time I've ever had complete fizzle handloads was CCI200s with ball powders when it's cold out. BLC2 and H380 both did it pretty regularly when it was below about 20° outside.

My 327 Fed carbine gets squibby using standard SP primers. I just exclusively use SR primers for it now, never had it happen since.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by zcm82
Only time I've ever had complete fizzle handloads was CCI200s with ball powders when it's cold out. BLC2 and H380 both did it pretty regularly when it was below about 20° outside.

My 327 Fed carbine gets squibby using standard SP primers. I just exclusively use SR primers for it now, never had it happen since.

When was this? CCI primers have evolved a bit over the last forty years.

What was the loading density?

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
It's been probably close to 20 years ago, so no clue what the loads were, other than BLC2 in 30-30 and H380 in 30-06.

I didn't even really keep notes back then other than the load stickers I put on the boxes, and both those rifles are long since gone.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JJF
Funny this comes up now, since this just happened on my 444 reloads, using Remington 9 1/2 LR primers. I was recently checking the zero on my CVA V2 Scout in 444 Marlin. I had not 1 but 2 rounds fail to fire. The firing pin was hitting the primers but neither one went off, even after trying a 2nd time. All the other rounds went off just fine. IIRC I bought these primers about 5 or so years ago and they had been kept in my home reloading room (climate controlled of course). Also, all of my previous reloads using the Rem 9 1/2 primers (with exception of the 2 mentioned) have fired without a hitch. I only have about 15 reloads to go before I need to do more. I may well change primers when I do more reloads, though I must say that the rounds I have reloaded to-date have been scary accurate with the Rem 9 1/2s.

Interesting. I'm still waiting on the OP to answer my question, as to how old his primers are. That could shed some light on things. Like others have said, about 4-5 years ago, Winchester let out some really bad primers. Wondering if these are new primers, or some of those bad ones that got out???

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I got some bad CCI250’s almost two years ago. Almost 10% of the sleeve of 100 did not fire. My last range session, I had a WLR not go bang. This brick dates back from the 80’s I found out and I’ll take one of 1,000 not going bang for what I gave for them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC3
Could be one of several issues: primer pocket too deep, primer not seated fully, weak firing pin spring, gummed up firing pin (think WD40), excessive headspace in rifle, case sized too small causing excessive headspace, primer contamination, and yes, a bad primer. In my experience a faulty primer is the least likely (but still possible) reason for the rifle to not go bang.
The issue with the recalled Winchester primers had to do with the sides "burning through" causing bolt face pitting. They always went bang and were great primers other than that pesky side blow out thing.
Cheers

Good post, but those Winchester primers were garbage. That was also about 5 years ago too, so they may have had other issues than just fu cking up bolt faces. The reason I'm asking how old the primers are that he's having issues with. Personally I won't buy Winchester primers, or Winchester brass. I've seen too many issue with both, to be concerned. Never had any issues like this with the CCI primers I buy.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
In 35+ years of reloading - I've never had one of my reloads not fire. Today at the range, I was shooting my 7mm08 with a Winchester primer. It didn't fire. I shot it again - it didn't fire. All the other ones were fine. Ever had this happen? [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If this is your first time in 35 years, you're not shooting enough.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (44automag, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 14 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,094
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.