Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve been wanting to give this a try . Southern Wyoming is somewhere I’d like to do some scouting for future elk hunts , and I’d like a crack at a spring bear. Some trout fishing too.
I may have to go solo but I’ve thought about it for the last few years and I’m not getting any younger. Thoughts on south Wyoming chances of spotting bear ?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I live here and have had some success with bear hunting, but overall Wyoming does not have a large bear population! I see this as a difficult challenge…..unless you can hunt for several weeks!

I think that you’d have a higher probability of success in Idaho or Montana….but, that’s just my opinion! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’ll second that

Add in the baiting situation and a spot and stalk is probably going to be pretty tough.

Fall would be a lot more productive. Spring scouting is vastly different then fall..

B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I know you’re right , Wyoming is closer , and again I’d like to look over future elk ground. I’m afraid my days of hunting elk in colorado are about over. Thanks for the input. Was wondering if it was feasible for a weeks chance with bear

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As long as there is a secondary motive for the trip……you won’t be dissapointed! 😁 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Spring bear here is tough to spot and stalk since we don’t have a huge bear population. Also the weather and how much snow is left on the ground can make access difficult in early spring. Nice thing about a spring bear tag is it’s also good for the fall.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Fishing in streams is still poor due to spring runoff. I live down in that area, and as others have said, a poor chance. Lots of baits are out in this country, and once the bears come out, the quota often fills in the first nice weekend. As others said, Montana offers a better chance for what you are looking for.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lots of bears in Southern Wyoming, plenty of them but as stated baits sights are taken and most quotas get filled fast.
You could spots and stalk near another bait sight without sitting over it and do ok. Might make someone mad though, lol.
We see bear sign every year elk hunting, they are here.
Not known for big bears but some area have big ones. Problem bears near some cabin areas too.

And as stated above, access can be iffy in Spring due to snowpack, fishing too is hard high high water.

Last edited by wytex; 01/05/24.
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the feedback . I was afraid that may the situation, but that’s why I asked. Was hoping to kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone. I’m interested in elk hunting that area , but it sounds like a summer trip and fishing may be the way to go to scout . I guess I may have to try Montana for spring bear to scratch that itch but I can’t do it all in one year.
I’ll turn 60 in the spring and the list of things I want to do I’m afraid I’ll run out of legs and lungs before it’s all done

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Experienced spot & stalk bear hunters don't ''track-up'' the area - they use good binos and spotting scopes instead of boots. Good luck on your trip and keep yourself healthy - eat right and get plenty of low impact exercise.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Experienced spot & stalk bear hunters don't ''track-up'' the area - they use good binos and spotting scopes instead of boots. Good luck on your trip and keep yourself healthy - eat right and get plenty of low impact exercise.
This. Have some decent optics and spend time looking at the zones where snow is receding and things are starting to regenerate. Another possible one is walking on gated public national forest roadways. Those roads have grassy banks and bears also use them for travel.

If you want to do fishing in streams and rivers then summer and fall will be the time for that because of runoff.

Good luck on your trip

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (300_savage, 6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 8 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,405
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.