Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
In 1979 I was 28 years old. I was living in Atlanta. I was working with a 20 year old guy. He said that he and all his friends went down to the Peachtree Battle theater at midnight on Friday to watch Rocky Horror Picture Show. He had seen it 11 times!

One Friday night my girlfriend and I went down to the Peachtree Battle theater. This movie was some weird stuff. There was Tim Curry, wearing black leather bra and panties, singing his song "I'm just a sweet transexual, transvestite, from Transylvania..."

There was a scene where Susan Sarandon was standing out on the porch in the rain. Every kid in the theater pulled out a squirt gun, and squirted water into the air. Sandra and I got soaked.

In another scene, Tim and Susan had a bottle of champagne. Tim poured it into champagne glasses. They had a toast, get it? Every kid in the theater pulled out a piece pf toast, a slice of bread cooked in the toaster, and flung it at the big screen like a Frisbee. 400 pieces of toast in the air.

Sandra and I left the theater saying "What the f*** was that?"
I guess you had to be 20 years old to understand Rocky Horror Picture Show.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My wife and I still watch it occasionally as we think it is hilarious. Who knew it was prophetic.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That kinda stuff goes on at one of the old down town theaters every Halloween. People go as far as dressing like the characters in the movie. I've never been to one of those shows. I do own the DVD though and we'll watch it around Halloween every year.

Last edited by MickinColo; 01/05/24.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It is still played every Friday night at midnight at Plaza Theater in Atlanta. Evidently, it has been running in Atlanta non stop for 45 years. I was told that there is a line around the block at 10:30 on Friday night, many fans dressed as characters from the movie.

https://www.plazaatlanta.com/movie/the-rocky-horror-picture-show-w-ldod/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simon, when I was a teenager I visited my sister in college and her friends took us to see it at Midnight and get the full experience. It was a blast and I felt so cool hanging with the older crowd.

I always thought it kooky fun phenom and a sort of right of passage for college kids. Fast forward a few decades and saw it come on. I couldn't take the transness and overall celebration of "wrong" of it. I turned away wondering how I ever thought it was anything but..

Getting old I guess,

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have it in my collection and watch it once in a great while. Great for laughs.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've seen it on TV a few times, never in a theater. It is entertaining. MeatLoaf is the motorcycle guy in the movie. Lots of people to this day show up at viewings dressed as the characters and act out the parts and reciting lines along with the actors. Not my sorta thing but fun to watch.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Now showing daily in Washington DC.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw it in 1976 in Seattle.
Later people started dressing up for midnight showings.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Does art imitate life or does life imitate art? I firmly believe the latter.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is just one of many examples of art pushing the boundaries and life following suit.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I saw it the first time in 1973 at Covina Theater. It must have run there for 20 years, always a midnight showing.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A local theater showed it religiously at the midnight movies on Friday & Saturday nights when I was in HS. We used to get lit (underage drinking!!) and go to the shows "armed" to the teeth, water bottles. bags of rice, toast, even loose hot dogs (Frankenfurter). Chaos ensued and the place looked like Hiroshima at the end of the night. The poor bastards that had to clean up at the end of the night....hard to believe they ever allowed that.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Well great! Now I'll have "Time Warp" circulating through my head all day. Thanks a lot!

RS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocky_Horror_Picture_Show

1973 stage show used for 1975 film

Budget $1.4 million
Box office $226 million

If you had a piece of that, you were set.

The movie people would have called sharing profits "points"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
never saw it........

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
I slung me some toast at the theater girlfriend now wife hold me to the show weird ass s*** to this farm boy

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used to think movies and shows like that were harmless fun for people with eclectic senses of humor. Who knew it would lead to people advocating mutilating grade school kids?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
mebbe the debbil wrote the scrp?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ahhh, just brought back a nostalgic memory for me!

Back in our town in the 70's, 80's, and ?90's, a couple of the local theaters ran movies at midnight on Friday and Saturdays to get the "poor" local high school and college kids out for some movies and additional revenue. They were advertised as "dollar midnight movies", IIRC. We never took dates, mostly went with the guys. I don't remember them being "A-list" current movies either. Anyone remember one called "Fritz the Cat"? (I exited that one pretty early on as I remember... still will come up in conversations with old friends sadly!)

One night we went to see the old original MASH movie, which I had never seen and was not overly entertained as I had grown accustom to the TV series/actors. I got up and walked out and over into the adjoining theater which was running Rocky Horror Picture Show which I even knew less about. I stood at the back of the theater in the aisle just to see what it was all about. I was kind of baffled at the content, theme, and activities of the crowd... totally taken off guard I guess. I probably wasn't in there 5-10 minutes when what looked like a cute, petite little co-ed came walking up the aisle. I stepped to the side, but she stopped and began to look up at me and I thought she was going to say "hello" or ask me what I thought of the movie... next thing I know she is puking violently in my direction. So much for a cute female "hello" or greeting!!! Somehow I avoided getting hit but the smell was terrible. Being the naive gentleman that I was, I left her to fend for herself and exited the theater as quickly as possible back to MASH (even left that one early IIRC as "dollar night" had lost it's luster that evening...

I have never had any desire to see that movie again for some reason!

If it were not for the theme and the current social state of our good old USA, I might reconsider. The Austin Powers series (especially #1), Napoleon Dynamite, and a couple of others I had to watch more than once before I could really say that I enjoyed them and their humor. Now they are some of my favorites! Some of Jim Carey's stuff is hard for me as well for some reason... almost too stupid!

These days, I look forward to the likes of old clips of Johnny Carson, Jonathan Winters, Tim Conway and friends, Rodney Dangerfield, The Smothers Brothers, Dean Martin "roasts", Flip Wilson/Geraldine Jones, Mel Brooks movies, Laugh In, old Saturday Night Live stuff, etc. for a good old laugh.

I am "jaded" enough now that Greg Gutfeld (and his show/guests) is about the only current show that can make me laugh unexpectedly... or laughing at myself and my own stupid acts as I age. Interesting times to say the least.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22magnut, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,605
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.