Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm in the camp where if you are using cash for everything, you are leaving money on the table.
Cash however, is always good when you don't want the purchase to be trackable.

Here's what I think is the best breakout and comparison of all the cash back cards and air miles cards on the web.
They also explain and make recommendations for a "two card strategy".
https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/cash-back

What I've learned about these cash back cards...
I want to use one basic 2% cash back card.
I have a Cabela's card that is a 1% card and I never use it except for the rare Cabela's purchase.
I'm not going to play the "categories" game where it's gas rewards for this quarter and groceries rewards for the next quarter.
That's a bad joke, but some people do it.
You have to pay off your balance each month or you are not in the game.
Be sure to set up your auto-alert system so you are notified (via text) of all purchases (or attempted purchases !)

I'm using the Citi Double Cash card for a basic 2% card on all purchases.
The only downside thus far is that their customer service is off shore, so you may get an agent with a heavy accent.

I shop at a discount grocery store that only takes cash or debit.
I spend a lot there and it kills me to not be racking up cash back points.
Well, just recently Discover started offering the first cash back debit card that I know of.
I got one, it's only 1% but it's something. The Discover "system" has been top notch to deal with so far.
https://www.discover.com/online-banking/checking-account/

B L M - Bureau of Land Management

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have two cards. I use a Southwest Air Visa for all my personal buying, and an Delta Air Amex for all travel. Both offer air miles as the reward. I pay both off in full the day I get the bill.

Over the years, the number of miles points you need for any given flight has increased tremendously. IIRC, it's now about double what it used to be. A flight that used to cost me 45,000 miles points now costs over 85,000.

I don't travel nearly as much as I used to, and am contemplating changing both cards over to cash back versions. It's a tossup of unnecessary air miles or unneeded cash.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have two cards. I use a Southwest Air Visa for all my personal buying, and an Delta Air Amex for all travel. Both offer air miles as the reward. I pay both off in full the day I get the bill.

Over the years, the number of miles points you need for any given flight has increased tremendously. IIRC, it's now about double what it used to be. A flight that used to cost me 45,000 miles points now costs over 85,000.

I don't travel nearly as much as I used to, and am contemplating changing both cards over to cash back versions. It's a tossup of unnecessary air miles or unneeded cash.
I'd be willing assume the hardship of accepting all of your unwanted cash.

smile

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I use them

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I keep it simple. I have a Costco Citi Visa that gives me back cash, 4% for gas at Costco (where I get most of my gas anyway) and 2% for almost everything else at Costco. I have a Capitol 1 card that gives me 2% back on everything (which I just apply to my account before I pay it off every month.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a Capital One Venture card that gives me airline miles. I like to travel, so it’s worth it. I don’t carry a balance though.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bpas105
The credit card companies pass the cost of their rewards on to the vendors, who pass it on to us, one way or another. So, if you're not using a reward card, you're still paying for it. Might as well use one.
Yup. If you have the discipline to pay off every month, you may as well take advantage of the system.

Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m constantly soaking the pukes for their rewards and then dumping and cancelling them.

The one’s especially that offer $200-500 if ya spend $5000 inside of 90days.

Keep a rotation of offers and new banks. Play about 4-5 cards a year like that, toss the money to pay my property taxes.

Been doing that for about 15 years
Same. I really need to rotate more often to take advantage of the initial rewards offers, but I get lazy. I have an AMEX that does 1-3% cash back and no fees. I'll keep that one around. I also have another 1-2 cards that we rotate every couple of years for miles, hotels, etc. rewards. Most of them are free for a year, then $100/year, but the initial rewards are several hundred $/points/miles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess what's in my wallet.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use mine all I can and get 2% back. Bought a new SUV and cashed in for about $850. Took the sting off taxes. I pay it off in full every month.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wife and I use a CC (2)for everything and I mean everything. Pay them off in full every month. Both are setting on well into 4 digits of free cash available. I sometimes have a hard time finding something to spend it on. That money will pay for a cruise next august.
You cannot win though if you carry a balance and pay interest. You must pay it off every month to "win".

I've "paid" for a lot of free stuff over the years doing this. I consider it making my money "work" for me.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
A free rewards card is brainless. Just do it.

A fee based rewards card like the AMEX Delta card is awesome if you travel a lot and use a card a lot. I've got the Platinum card and I rack up 150K to 200K miles each year on it. Unfortunately, Delta along with most of the other carriers have changed their rewards program based on ticket expenditure and not so much for card expenditure. So you really have to weigh out the advantages/disadvantages on airline rewards.

Go with an American AAdvantage card. Way less miles for reward travel. Especially overseas. And you have the One World airline alliance to pick your flights from. I actually often prefer flying foreign carriers. Many of them treat you better and the food is often a lot better. Although, I'm not a big Airbus fan. So, I avoid them whenever possible. Don't like their seating.

I’d like to hear more from Citi AA users. For years I was able to do airfare for an annual fishing trip using Citi AA miles, and over time, it became more and more difficult and untenable, to the point that I went away from Citi AA completely.

I still have some miles in that account, but to me they look like they have been devalued considerably, although I would love to be incorrect on that score.

Always looking for a better travel card here ...

We have a few of the rewards cards, but they are pretty specialized for what we do. You are absolutely right about the problem booking the flights from devaluations along with blackouts. We have the Citi AAdvantage card that comes with the Admirals Club access and the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. We travel a lot and get back far more in value than the annual fees. It is multiples for us. But you will see a distinct difference between them for flights.

The Citi AAdvantage card earns "miles" and those are subject to a lot of restrictions/devaluations/barriers like you mentioned. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card is "points." There are many multipliers that are helpful, but the main advantage is that you are "purchasing" a ticket with the points. There are no blackouts or restrictions for the airline of choice because it appears that you are outright purchasing the ticket plus you get "miles" for the flight. Which you know you are not awarded any "miles" for award flights when you use miles to book.

There are a lot of other savings on the Chase card for us that far outweigh the net $150 annual fee ($450 minus the $300 travel credit annually).

Edited to add: We do use "miles" to book a lot of our flights, but we will find the flight we want using miles first for one of us and then immediately book the companion ticket with points right after. The airlines are notorious for allowing only so many reward seats to be available then black it out once those are gone. Buying with points has no blackout. We also use a lot of Alaska Airline miles for flights to Japan and Europe with a lot of success. Those can be some amazing deals if you know how to find them.

Last edited by Longbob; 01/05/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Getcha som dat alwc baldwin
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Smokin Joe Camel koozie and UST snuff can hats for the win.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
A free rewards card is brainless. Just do it.

A fee based rewards card like the AMEX Delta card is awesome if you travel a lot and use a card a lot. I've got the Platinum card and I rack up 150K to 200K miles each year on it. Unfortunately, Delta along with most of the other carriers have changed their rewards program based on ticket expenditure and not so much for card expenditure. So you really have to weigh out the advantages/disadvantages on airline rewards.

Go with an American AAdvantage card. Way less miles for reward travel. Especially overseas. And you have the One World airline alliance to pick your flights from. I actually often prefer flying foreign carriers. Many of them treat you better and the food is often a lot better. Although, I'm not a big Airbus fan. So, I avoid them whenever possible. Don't like their seating.

I have one as well. When I was flying a bunch on Qatar Air, the miles helped. But I wouldn't fly AA if it was free... Well, maybe free. Otherwise, I use those miles to book hotels and rental cars.

I have to fly Delta because 1. I fly out of ATL. and 2. 80% of my overseas flights are to Africa. The ATL to Cape Town run is a breeze and it's so much easier to clear customs there when compared to JNB - the $hittiest airport in the world to transit. I will fly halfway around to world to avoid JNB. I am two or three trips away from Diamond on Delta. Not that it means much these days.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 01/05/24.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
City Double Cash. 2pct cash back on everything, no annual fee, no gimmicks (I’ve never not paid it off when I get the bill). About to use about $5k of rewards cash to help pay for Christmas. Do it that way every year.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I don't travel, so fly miles mean nothing to me.
But I have a cash back card that I use to buy my gas and weekly restaurants visits. Pay the card off every month, never carry anything over.
Just this week went and claimed my cash back for last year, $385. Spending last year was down from the year before, Usually get back over $400, Nice way to start the year.

"The older I get, the better I was"
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You said it yourself… there is no downside.

Go for it; you’re already using something to access your money, why not get rewards for what you’re already doing it?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have a Scheels card. It's Ok.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have a Sam's Master Card that has some kind of cash back deal when you check out. I'm sure there's better options available, but it's like getting $200 worth of free groceries every few months. No need for air miles when don't fly. Learned a long time ago you can take a trip and never leave the farm.

Life is good live it while you can.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am two or three trips away from Diamond on Delta. Not that it means much these days.

Lately Diamond medallion might get you a first class upgrade...... maybe.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.