-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My long time moose hunting buddy and I have been fishing Valdez the last couple of years for halibut, haven't had a ton of luck but we have a good time anyways. Question is, when's the best time to go for halibut, we've been going right around the 4th of July and the fishing has not been the best, we got lucky last year and caught one that was about 70-80 lbs and 3-4 real small chickens that we threw back. We stay out over a weekend at an old remote cabin so we don't have to make trips back and forth and waste a bunch of gas. Commercial fishing is in full force around that time frame too.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So there isn't anyone here that fishes Valdez for halibut?

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve taken charters out of Valdez for halibut, but those captains generally know exactly where to go and drop anchor. It is usually a long ride, out to Montague Island.

I have had good luck from late June through August. I suspect your lack of success is due to not dropping on the good holes, as opposed to not being there at the right time of year.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I’ve taken charters out of Valdez for halibut, but those captains generally know exactly where to go and drop anchor. It is usually a long ride, out to Montague Island.

I have had good luck from late June through August. I suspect your lack of success is due to not dropping on the good holes, as opposed to not being there at the right time of year.
You may be right but we are limited on how far we can go out. Going in July we've managed to put fish in the boat but nothing of any size and the weather is usually always [bleep] which is another reason we're going at the end of May/beginning of June. We could probably make the run to Montague but then we'd have to run back to port the same day, whereas the area we are fishing we can stay out there and fish for 2-3 days and don't have to run back to port after each days fishing.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by T_Inman

You may be right but we are limited on how far we can go out. Going in July we've managed to put fish in the boat but nothing of any size and the weather is usually always [bleep] which is another reason we're going at the end of May/beginning of June. We could probably make the run to Montague but then we'd have to run back to port the same day, whereas the area we are fishing we can stay out there and fish for 2-3 days and don't have to run back to port after each days fishing.

Why do you have to run back from Monty every day?

Went back and Read your first post, their are state cabins on Montague and hinchinbrook.

Last edited by johnn; 02/08/24.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
We used to go out and anchor up for a couple days in Two Moon Bay and not far from the right shoreline and did pretty good there during the tide changes when the Halibut are moving.They will swim around the point and into the bay to feed on the shrimp there..
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think halibut fishing is generally slower early in the season, I have heard they move out of the sound until later.

But thats just my take on it, halibut do what they do.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,054
Posts18,482,295
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.