Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Friends-

I recently purchased a Caldwell "Tack Driver" Shooting Bag and they recommend that you fill it with kitty litter, rice or corn cob media.

I got to thinking that rice is easy to buy versus corn cob media and cheap. Have any of you thrown some into your tumblers for use in cleaning and polishing your brass. It seems like it ought to work. What is your exerience?

Thanks,

P. Mark Stark

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark, let me be the first to welcome you to the Campfire. I've never tried rice for a polishing media. It's cheap enough though, I don't have any brass that needs to be tumbled at this time, why don't you give it a try and report back the results. Happy New Year Everyone.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
30 Cal,

I've tried rice before and in it's natural form it will stack inside the casing and you will have to pick it out. The bigger the caliber, the less problems you will have.

I then chopped it up in a blender and it worked much better except in the smaller calibers.

As to cleaning, it does as good or better that walnut hull media.

I have gone back to walnut hull media because of the stacking problem. Maybe I didn't chop it up fine enough. It may be worth another try.

Good luck, Rojelio

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This post has me wondering, What would sand or silica do?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Tried silica sand on some old junk brass because curosity got the best of me. Can't say it worked any better than cob or shell media. Couldn't put as much in the tumbler bowl as it is heavier than the usual medias, actually noticed a slowing of the tumbler action. Decided to stick with what works.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
(( grin Are you being a sexist, racist, or anarchist, wanting Condoleezza to do your cleaning and polishing? grin ))

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Been using rice for years and throwing in a FEW drops of "Brasso"
in my tumbler; works like a charm, altho, you'll have to take
a few grains out of the primer pockets every so often. Start off with less "Brasso" rather than to much. It doesn't take much to
get the rice to gummy/sticky. Even tho the rice gets "gray", you
can use it quite a few times.

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for sharing!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,968
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.