Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You boys are talking about two different “unlocking” mechanisms. Cylinder latch is the mechanism that one manipulates to swing cylinder out to load. Cylinder lock is the notch and corresponding bolt that locks the cylinder in place while firing.
Best regards
F01

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You guys talked me into trying an Anaconda. Ordered the 4.5” version. Figure it’ll be nice to shoot it alongside the other Super Blackhawk’s for comparison.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by HawkI
Never had any issue getting a good SA pull on a Redhawk; the DA is tricky due to only one spring, but its functional.
The Super, in my opinion, is a bit of an abomination. It does have a more positive trigger return and DA spring over the Redhawk, but that doesn't make up for its lack of aesthetics.

The Redhawk has two cylinder locks at fore and aft and there isn't a way to mechanically unlock them simultaneously, as they lock in opposing directions and the cylinder latch opposes both by 90 degrees. All but the crane latch in opposite of rearward recoil, unlike the Smith and Colt 44s.

The Colt, in particular, has an excessive weight cylinder latch that may force it rearward, unlocking the cylinder.
Of course single actions are devoid of cylinder latches and lock with the bolt and hand.
A Redhawk, lockwork wise, is double of any other single action or double action.

I have no idea about the new Anacondas, but lockwork wise they appear no different than the first iterations.
The first ones were between the Smith N frame and the Redhawk for frame size, bolt notch protrusion and about the same for forcing cone thickness as the Smith.

Thank you, Hawk. Interesting information.

I'm not sure how the lockwork compares between old and new Anacondas, but the new ones have a longer and larger diameter cylinder than the old ones. A good bit longer (and larger) than a Redhawk in fact. I only have a Super Redhawk left because ergonomics and trigger work for me better than a Redhawk. In comparison to the Super, the Anaconda is a larger gun than the Super, almost too large.

Regarding lockwork, the Redhawk and Super Redhawk may be double other guns, but I have had or been around mutliple Supers and at least one standard Redhawk that started unlocking between 10-20,000 hot loads. I can't remember one instance of experiencing that with a Super Blackhawk.

I do think a 5.5" Redhawk (along with a 6" original Python as a close second) is possibly the best looking revolver ever made, but I like the Super better between the two. Pretty is as pretty does.

Thats interesting information, regarding the new Anacondas.
If the frame hasn't increased in size along with the cylinder, its probably an explanation why the new one is not and will not be made in 45 Colt.
I would be interested (and happy) if the frame allowed the 45 Colt to be chambered eventually without the crane cutout of the forcing cone the original 45 Colt Anacondas had.

Regarding the Rugers, both Redhawks: I'm trying to understand how a gun that has positive retention of all locking areas, opposite of recoil and inertia "shoots loose", while a gun of less cylinder displacement, less frame displacement and fewer mechanical locks doesnt "shoot loose" with the same loads.
That also doesn't take into consideration of bolt notch position; the Blackhawk always being the weaker link.
Theres no way, mechanically, a Redhawk frame distorts while a Blackhawk frame doesnt.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just got a 5" 629 Classic tonight, can't wait to shoot it

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Never had any issue getting a good SA pull on a Redhawk; the DA is tricky due to only one spring, but its functional.
The Super, in my opinion, is a bit of an abomination. It does have a more positive trigger return and DA spring over the Redhawk, but that doesn't make up for its lack of aesthetics.

The Redhawk has two cylinder locks at fore and aft and there isn't a way to mechanically unlock them simultaneously, as they lock in opposing directions and the cylinder latch opposes both by 90 degrees. All but the crane latch in opposite of rearward recoil, unlike the Smith and Colt 44s.

The Colt, in particular, has an excessive weight cylinder latch that may force it rearward, unlocking the cylinder.
Of course single actions are devoid of cylinder latches and lock with the bolt and hand.
A Redhawk, lockwork wise, is double of any other single action or double action.

I have no idea about the new Anacondas, but lockwork wise they appear no different than the first iterations.
The first ones were between the Smith N frame and the Redhawk for frame size, bolt notch protrusion and about the same for forcing cone thickness as the Smith.

Thank you, Hawk. Interesting information.

I'm not sure how the lockwork compares between old and new Anacondas, but the new ones have a longer and larger diameter cylinder than the old ones. A good bit longer (and larger) than a Redhawk in fact. I only have a Super Redhawk left because ergonomics and trigger work for me better than a Redhawk. In comparison to the Super, the Anaconda is a larger gun than the Super, almost too large.

Regarding lockwork, the Redhawk and Super Redhawk may be double other guns, but I have had or been around mutliple Supers and at least one standard Redhawk that started unlocking between 10-20,000 hot loads. I can't remember one instance of experiencing that with a Super Blackhawk.

I do think a 5.5" Redhawk (along with a 6" original Python as a close second) is possibly the best looking revolver ever made, but I like the Super better between the two. Pretty is as pretty does.

Thats interesting information, regarding the new Anacondas.
If the frame hasn't increased in size along with the cylinder, its probably an explanation why the new one is not and will not be made in 45 Colt.
I would be interested (and happy) if the frame allowed the 45 Colt to be chambered eventually without the crane cutout of the forcing cone the original 45 Colt Anacondas had.

Regarding the Rugers, both Redhawks: I'm trying to understand how a gun that has positive retention of all locking areas, opposite of recoil and inertia "shoots loose", while a gun of less cylinder displacement, less frame displacement and fewer mechanical locks doesnt "shoot loose" with the same loads.
That also doesn't take into consideration of bolt notch position; the Blackhawk always being the weaker link.
Theres no way, mechanically, a Redhawk frame distorts while a Blackhawk frame doesnt.

I suspect the New Anaconda has a bigger frame than the old ones but don’t have an old one to compare. It just about has to be longer in that I believe the cylinder is now pretty long at 1.905” in length (and bigger diameter too). Mine is a large revolver.

I don’t particularly remember the Redhawks shooting loose as evidenced by more end shake or side-to-side play with the hammer back. It’s that the lock would come out of the bolt notch on the cylinder upon firing and the cylinder would rotate free on high-round count guns.

I don’t know the physics of what’s happening, but suspect the basepin arrangement of the Blackhawk stands up to heavy usage better with less deflection (bolt notch moving away from lock in recoil) on high round count guns than the mechanism on a Redhawk (or S&W), but that is a guess. I also suspect the heavier frame and larger cylinder of a Redhawk would stand more pressure than a Blackhawk but that is another guess.

Back when, my dad and I both were shooting a lot of IMSHA so were putting a lot of rounds through them. Even after shooting IMSHA, my only rifled, centerfire into my late 20s was whatever .44 I had at a given time and being my only hunting gun, got shot a lot in the earlier years. I don’t remember using anything but max charges of 296 and 240-330-grain bullets, primarily cast.

Regarding IMSHA, many people shot a lot and most that shot revolvers were using Dan Wessons or Blackhawks and later Freedom Arms. I’ve never fired a DW so not sure if they had trouble but they seemed to hold up fine.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 01/05/24.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My colt anaconda is a tack driver as stated above. The single action trigger pull is too heavy but it shoots. Some 1 inch or so 25 yard bench rested 6 shot groups. Been trying to get a deer this season with it but none good enough to pull the trigger yet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dogdoc
My colt anaconda is a tack driver as stated above. The single action trigger pull is too heavy but it shoots. Some 1 inch or so 25 yard bench rested 6 shot groups. Been trying to get a deer this season with it but none good enough to pull the trigger yet.

Good luck with it!

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Somewhat off topic, but after over a 20 year hiatus in reloading, I dug all my equipment out of storage recently and set up for it again.

I've been loading up all sorts of old once-fired brass lately, in storage for many years. In the past few weeks, I've loaded up hundreds of the thousands of once-fired-cases that I've found in storage, all different calibers (found in sheds and other storage places, in old dusty containers). I've loaded up lots of .45 Colt and .38 Special since getting back into it.

Just last night, though, I loaded up all the .44 Magnum once-fired-brass I could find in storage, which was only 58 cases. I'll have to order some virgin brass for it.

[Linked Image]

240 grain Kieth-Style lead SWC over 6.5 grains of Unique. Should be a nice, moderate recoiling, load. About like a hot Special.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Somewhat off topic, but after over a 20 year hiatus in reloading, I dug all my equipment out of storage recently and set up for it again.

I've been loading up all sorts of old once-fired brass lately, in storage for many years. In the past few weeks, I've loaded up hundreds of the thousands of once-fired-cases that I've found in storage, all different calibers (found in sheds and other storage places, in old dusty containers). I've loaded up lots of .45 Colt and .38 Special since getting back into it.

Just last night, though, I loaded up all the .44 Magnum once-fired-brass I could find in storage, which was only 58 cases. I'll have to order some virgin brass for it.

[Linked Image]

240 grain Kieth-Style lead SWC over 6.5 grains of Unique. Should be a nice, moderate recoiling, load. About like a hot Special.

In a 44 Special that is just barely a warm load. In the Special, Alliant shows 6.3 gr of Unique at 822 fps with a 240 LSWC. In the 44 mag they show 7.0 gr Unique under the same bullet going 899 fps. 6.5 gr ought to realistically be a 44 spl equivalent in your Mag cases. Great load either way, my standard in the Mag used to be 7.5 gr Unique under a 240 LSWC. Accurate enough to break clay pigeons all day long at 75 yards. Love those Missouri bullets!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]

In a 44 Special that is just barely a warm load. In the Special, Alliant shows 6.3 gr of Unique at 822 fps with a 240 LSWC. In the 44 mag they show 7.0 gr Unique under the same bullet going 899 fps. 6.5 gr ought to realistically be a 44 spl equivalent in your Mag cases. Great load either way, my standard in the Mag used to be 7.5 gr Unique under a 240 LSWC. Accurate enough to break clay pigeons all day long at 75 yards. Love those Missouri bullets!
Thanks for the recommendation.

IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Pleasure. I too have been on something of a 44 mag hiatus, Just snagged myself a couple of 92 carbines and several new 44 RNFP molds and 3000 gas checks. Expect to busy busy the winter while I load up for the 44.

For whatever reason, Power Pistol is more readily available in my neck of the woods, so it has replaced Unique, at least for the time being. Works well too!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've had four lever action carbines in .44 Magnum over the years. Currently, I have none. There are a couple I'd love to have back, though: My Browning Model 92 and my Rossi Saddle Ring Carbine, both bought in the 1980s. Back then, neither had any safeties on them. They were made exactly according to the original Winchester Model 92 blueprints. The Browning was made to a higher standard, but the Rossi wasn't bad either, and (fortunately) didn't come with the hokey puma medallion on the receiver, as some of them came into the US with.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i did some comparisons on different brand revolvers in 44 Rem. mags , the strongest frames were all Rugers , Colts ,Freedom arms , do some reading on Buffalo ammo company they explain why. i do own 2 - 44 mag that are a poorer frame strength brand revolver ,i have also seen a couple that frame was twisted on the revolver Buffalo ammo company did say these companies have weak frame revolvers and not to use their better grade bear ammo. i was shocked to find this information but now won`t buy those brand revolvers so i made a few calls and they all agreed those revolvers from those companies the frames are weaker . sorry but it is the truth,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 01/06/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by lastround
What is wrong with a Ruger Redhawk? I’ve got three and there is nothing I would trade them for.

One would be hard pressed to beat a Redhawk for a one and only .44, provided he was actually going to shoot the heck out of it, and with a wide variety of loads. They will handle pretty much any type of load out there. In fact the Redhawk has a cylinder that is just a bit longer than even the Super Blackhawk. I don't care for the phrase "over built", but Redhawks are definitely built to last lifetimes.

Yep, I agree !
I've got a super Redhawk 7 1/2 inch barrel and a plain redhawk 4 inch barrel.. bunk bed on the tough as a and extremely reliable

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When I was in the business I never once saw a twisted frame but then this could be a simple matter of terminology used by some here. I worked on lots of 44 mag S&W’s, trigger work on Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks on one or two RedHawks. One common feature of most 44 mag revolvers is low round count. People buy them cause it’s a 44 Mag but most don’t shoot them enough to wear them. I worked at one gun shop that I swear always had eight or more under the counter and we finally just stopped taking them in. None had been shot enough to worry about. So in the 80’s and 90’s you could pick up like new 29’s and Blackhawks for around .50-60 cents on the dollar.

Never ever seen a 44 mag Redhawk with health problems or a Super Blackhawk. Never worked on a Colt Anaconda but have repaired and serviced a number of 29’s and 629’s. The Smith & Wesson design where hot loads are concerned and lots of them ( 20K +-) will develop end shake. If the gun has been shot a lot with full power loads it can get to the point where it doesn’t pay to fix. The end shake and other typical issues is the result of frame stretch, not twisting. Though I like Smiths because they balance well, fastest lock time and ability to really slick up, the design has some inherent weaknesses. The removable side plate reduces a lot of frame metal and rigidity, there is no way around it. But it really only comes into play with hot ammo like the 44 mag or 357’s in K-frames. The 686 ‘L’ frames solved this. They also suffer a bit from a weak cylinder ratchet design. No side plates on the Rugers or Colts.

If I were in the market for a DA 44 mag revolver I’d spend a lot of time seeing if it fits your hand then grips. I for one can’t get used to a Redhawk as the frame and grip design are too big for my hands. The SA Blackhawks will work for just about anybody.

Good Luck
Rick

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Im going to add a 4 inch 629-4 (pre lock) to the classifieds if anyone is looking...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
TRH

6.5 grains of Unique w/a 240 SWC is likely to produce poor accuracy. It is simply too low of a powder charge. Definitely not even close to a hot .44 Special. You also have to bear in mind that load manuals tend to use long barrels or unvented test barrels to obtain chronograph numbers and you are not likely to get anywhere to close to published speeds.

This is not my pic, but a pic from another forum. It however illustrates a highly accurate, actual "hot" .44 Special, and what the cartridge is truly capable of in the hands of an experienced loader/shooter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Never ever seen a 44 mag Redhawk with health problems or a Super Blackhawk. Never worked on a Colt Anaconda but have repaired and serviced a number of 29’s and 629’s. The Smith & Wesson design where hot loads are concerned and lots of them ( 20K +-) will develop end shake. If the gun has been shot a lot with full power loads it can get to the point where it doesn’t pay to fix. The end shake and other typical issues is the result of frame stretch, not twisting. Though I like Smiths because they balance well, fastest lock time and ability to really slick up, the design has some inherent weaknesses. The removable side plate reduces a lot of frame metal and rigidity, there is no way around it. But it really only comes into play with hot ammo like the 44 mag or 357’s in K-frames. The 686 ‘L’ frames solved this. They also suffer a bit from a weak cylinder ratchet design. No side plates on the Rugers or Colts.
That paragraph is spot on. Kudos.

If I were in the market for a DA 44 mag revolver I’d spend a lot of time seeing if it fits your hand then grips. I for one can’t get used to a Redhawk as the frame and grip design are too big for my hands. The SA Blackhawks will work for just about anybody.
Excellent advice all around..

I had a Redhawk and had the same issue - it just didn't fit me. But the Blackhawks or Super Blackhawks fit well and are built like tanks.. Very hard to hurt 'em..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
TRH

6.5 grains of Unique w/a 240 SWC is likely to produce poor accuracy. It is simply too low of a powder charge. Definitely not even close to a hot .44 Special. You also have to bear in mind that load manuals tend to use long barrels or unvented test barrels to obtain chronograph numbers and you are not likely to get anywhere to close to published speeds.

This is not my pic, but a pic from another forum. It however illustrates a highly accurate, actual "hot" .44 Special, and what the cartridge is truly capable of in the hands of an experienced loader/shooter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I won't load anymore till I've tested it at the range. Thanks. It is listed as a starting load, however, in my manual.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Damn! I went to retrieve my old Chrono (Krono?? Crono?? Can't remember how they spelled their brand) unit, intending to bring it to the range with the .44 Mag load in question, and it's not where I thought it was. Haven't seen it in many years, but I thought I knew where to find it. Oh well. Are they still in business?? How much is a new one?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

196 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 219DW, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,705
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.