Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Figure 22 to 24 ounces for pounder; 26 to 28 ounces for a non-pounder (with pads). Bansner Miller will be 24 to 26 ounces with pad. Classic and sheephunter slightly less. Less for everything if you go with a flip-flop or a Cervelatti.

Don't you have a new Bansner? I thought you posted pics of a rough one about 8 months ago. Still waiting to see the finished product. That would be great info in a thread like this.

Yes, it is still in the project phase. Like many. Life has been busy. I will try to get some pics up.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What is the price difference these days? I'm sure Brown is pretty expensive, while the Bansner has always been much less in price. Been hearing some good things about the Bansner miller stocks though. It does seem strange that they are not returning your emails. That would be concerning to me. I can only tell you my experience, having had a couple Brown Precision PoundR rifle stocks (still have them), and having a Bansner. I did not like the Bansner at all. It was lightweight and stiff, but it was more of a pain fitting to my rifle action, than any Brown was. It also did not balance well. Just did not like the feel of it. It was light, but felt clubby and fat. There was no comparison. Love the Brown PoundR stocks. Hopefully the new Bansners are better than the old ones.

I am looking at restocking a Classic FW. It has iron sights. It looks like your two examples with Pounders have irons as well.
Any problems with the comb heights interfering with the irons?
Thanks, Gary

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 01/05/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
What is the price difference these days? I'm sure Brown is pretty expensive, while the Bansner has always been much less in price. Been hearing some good things about the Bansner miller stocks though. It does seem strange that they are not returning your emails. That would be concerning to me. I can only tell you my experience, having had a couple Brown Precision PoundR rifle stocks (still have them), and having a Bansner. I did not like the Bansner at all. It was lightweight and stiff, but it was more of a pain fitting to my rifle action, than any Brown was. It also did not balance well. Just did not like the feel of it. It was light, but felt clubby and fat. There was no comparison. Love the Brown PoundR stocks. Hopefully the new Bansners are better than the old ones.

I am looking at restocking a Classic FW. It hasiron sights. It looks like your two examples with Pounders have irons as well.
Any problemswith the comb heights interfering with the irons?
Thanks, Gary

One of them has irons. I have not shot it with irons, but I've looked through the irons with this stock, before scoping it, and they are still useable. Hopefully that kind of answers your question. Keeping in mind, everyone has a different shaped face. The comb height is pretty useable and comfortable, especially when scoped.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Figure 22 to 24 ounces for pounder; 26 to 28 ounces for a non-pounder (with pads). Bansner Miller will be 24 to 26 ounces with pad. Classic and sheephunter slightly less. Less for everything if you go with a flip-flop or a Cervelatti.

Don't you have a new Bansner? I thought you posted pics of a rough one about 8 months ago. Still waiting to see the finished product. That would be great info in a thread like this.

Yes, it is still in the project phase. Like many. Life has been busy. I will try to get some pics up.

Thanks buddy. I'm sure many here would love to see it, when you get it done..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would have to go with Brown, in fact, he's got the stock that came on a Mark V Weatherby in 340 Magnum i bought last spring, all metal on the entire rifle was already Birdsong Black T coated, after working up two loads for it and seeing how accurate it was i sent the stock to Brown for another 3/8ths added to the LOP to make it 13-7/8ths as well as a new paint job, iirc i sent a check for 240 bucks, that includes return shipping.

The stock seems plenty sturdy enough with full house loads, with a 3-10 NF SHV riding in steel Talleys i detected nary a bobble on the paper, twisted right on at the 500 yard gong as well.

250gr LRX's at 2940 fps and 300gr Scenars at 2700 will handle a lot in the game fields and target ranges, 1400 bucks shipped for the rifle was probably about like getting a free Brown stock, the extra 240 bucks to make it a keeper that fits perfect is a non issue, dont think i'm hurt too bad on the deal.

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s a damned great deal you got!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
here are my twin pre 64 model 70's in Brown PoundR stocks:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice rifles, BSA, very nice.

I haven't had any Bansner stocks; had a Hi-Tech Specialties stock before Bansner took over & it was a very good stock & very similar to Brown. Bansner would have done well to have kept that design & improved the structure.

I've had several Brown stocks, from blanks to drop in's & I like them at lot. There was a little change in them over time, in that they slimmed the fore end & the grip a little which I like. I wish I still had a couple of those that I let go. One was a 338 Sako which weighed under 8 lb.

What I do not like is a fat grip & a too wide fore end.

I had a few McM's & aside from the Edge filled stocks, they are generally a little heavy.

My favorite McM is the Sako Classic; the Edge Compact is OK, not perfect but generally OK for me, with a slim, open grip & a slim fore end. McM has more or less stood still on hunting rifle design, IMO. I'm not interested in my hunting rifles having target or tactical oriented stocks.

My favorite was the KS version, & I wish they'd have kept making it.

I've also had 2 HS Precision stocks on 2 rifles that I had them build. Great shooting rifles, but the stocks are a little thick all over to my taste & definitely on the heavy side.

They've since brought out a slimmer, lighter Mountain version for Rem 700's but I have not handled one but the lines look much improved, but at 27 oz, the weight is OK, but still not light, but it's better than being 32+..............bedding blocks tend to do that & since Brown does not use them, they get an edge in weight.

I also have a couple of the B & C Mountain Rifle stocks, w/o the bedding blocks, & except for the grip being just a little too thick, it has good lines & a cheekpiece, fit's well & is stiff enough. Both rifles with the B & C's shoot under an inch easily, so the stock is strong enough to support that level of accuracy.

I'd like to handle a Bansner Miller but have not had a chance yet.

Any new stocks that I buy will get serious consideration from AG Composites as well as the stocks from Oregon Gunsmithing, as well as Brown..............If I want a synthetic stock, I really don't want it to weigh more than about 25-26 oz with a half inch pad.

But for the money, B&C is pretty hard to beat.............they aren't perfect, but they don't cost north of $750 either & with good bedding, will shoot just fine.

MM

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My model 70 Brown Stock came out to 22.8 ounces bedded. It’s a wonderful handling stock and Mark Brown is a pleasure to work with. Few photos here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18800918/brown-30-06#Post18800918

Last edited by eamyrick; 01/05/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have only had a couple of Browns, but have used probably a dozen Bansners over the past 30 years.

Have found Mark's stock easy to install myself (even more so recently), and aside from the one I installed on the custom .338 Winchester Magnum I hunted with a LOT in various places from Alaska to Africa, several gunsmiths have installed them on various rifles, including Charlie Sisk. (This includes the one on my switch-barrel Sisk which has barrels in both 6.5 PRC and 9.3 Barsness-Sisk.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Both are very nice stocks and I have had multiple bansners (but no Miller version, yet) and one brown (my first quality synthetic!).

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As a composites guy, I've noticed the critical things nobody ever asks their stock maker:

What type of resin is used? Epoxy: generally good. Vinylester or polyester:cheap brittle garbage

What's the percentage of fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber?

Is the entire stock manufactured as a chemical bond, or in multiple steps with a mechanical bond?

Is the stock laid up by hand, or is the final product built with an infusion or vacuum process?

If a foam core is used, is it pre-shaped closed cell foam core(marine grade) or it it cheap expanding foam that soaks up moisture and has no structural density?

The textured finish coating:
Is the stock finished with a 2 part epoxy paint? If not, what type of paint?

In the action area where recoil and action screw torque can damage things: what additives are used in the resin? Some additives only thicken the fill and add no substrate(strength).

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mainer, I would be interested as to which stock maker/s you prefer based on the above criteria.

Thanks

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
maybe inquire at outkast custom if they are building stocks like Melvin Forbes did they would be a top quality blank

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
That’s a damned great deal you got!

Yes Sir, i also know who to offer it too if i decide to sell, especially now with the LOP to more your liking, it's also in the lineup for Alberta moose and whitetail.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
As a composites guy, I've noticed the critical things nobody ever asks their stock maker:

What type of resin is used? Epoxy: generally good. Vinylester or polyester:cheap brittle garbage

What's the percentage of fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber?

Is the entire stock manufactured as a chemical bond, or in multiple steps with a mechanical bond?

Is the stock laid up by hand, or is the final product built with an infusion or vacuum process?

If a foam core is used, is it pre-shaped closed cell foam core(marine grade) or it it cheap expanding foam that soaks up moisture and has no structural density?

The textured finish coating:
Is the stock finished with a 2 part epoxy paint? If not, what type of paint?

In the action area where recoil and action screw torque can damage things: what additives are used in the resin? Some additives only thicken the fill and add no substrate(strength).

I don't know of any stockmaker that would meet all of those criteria in total.

The better ones hit most, but I don't think all of the points.

Interested to hear your response.

MM

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't have a composite stock preference. But I'd like to cut up examples from all the current stock makers, to compare and run tests on the materials.

None of my questions are criteria, just questions.

But the one question: if that stock wasn't laid up with epoxy, that'd be a deal killer right there.......

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/06/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mainer;
Stuart down in Alberta builds a stock I think you would approve of - check out wildcat stocks.
Only issue has been getting them across the border in recent years.

http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had Brown, Bansner, and McM Hunters Edge.

I like all three but the shape of each is distinctly different. Blindfolded I could easily pick each from the other.

I don’t care for the Miller M70 Bansner. I don’t like cheekpieces. Shape wise it is much like the Brown.

The Brown M70 has more curve in the grip than the Bansner Sheep hunter. Both are pretty trim and have little drop. The McM has more drop and the forend is really narrow.

Bansner has updated the materials in his new stocks. Don’t know about Brown but I suspect they are current too.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I think brown makes a nice stock, I've owned a couple but they never quite fit me the best and the grip is a little too open.
I've got a few Bansners and like them fine but just put a M70 E.W. 06' in a "Miller" pattern and like it very much, I can see more of those in my future.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
I think brown makes a nice stock, I've owned a couple but they never quite fit me the best and the grip is a little too open.
I've got a few Bansners and like them fine but just put a M70 E.W. 06' in a "Miller" pattern and like it very much, I can see more of those in my future.

That’s good to hear HW. They look like they’ll be nice. Yet to shoulder one.

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.