Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Are any of the newer powders like HP38 or Tightgroup as good or better than the old standby Unique or Bullseye for cast bullets in 38spcl or light 357Mag loads? Would be nice to find a spherical powder that works as well and actually meters through a RCBS powder measure.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
It's a flake, but Nitro100NF has shot well for powderpuff cast loads for me. I suppose it depends on how light you want to go, because that's really low velocity load stuff... kinda like TB loads without the case fill.

Win244 is in the Unique ballpark and is a ball. Haven't used in in 38 yet, but it is pretty decent in 32 and 45 in my experience.

Last edited by zcm82; 01/05/24. Reason: typo
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I stocked up on Longshot. Its burns like Herco, slightly slower than Unique.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Lots of newer choices out there, and some of the old standby powders are intermittently available. Consult online sources for the current loading data.

Universal, Win-244, W-231, AA#2 and #5, CFE Pistol all quickly come to mind as useful for your purposes. Ramshot has new releases, and VihtaVouri has lots of potential.
Look at a current "Burn Rate" chart and then shop and buy whatever you can find at your LGS. HazMat and shipping fees eat into our gun budget, but Powder Valley, Midsouth and Midway often have more inventory, at a price.

I should have mentioned Titegroup, as per your question, but it burns a bit hotter than I prefer. And you know that HP-38 and W-231 are identical twins.

Last edited by Border Doc; 01/05/24. Reason: add powder note

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just checked, Midsouth is offering free HazMat shipping for $99 or more purchase, with primer in stock, too.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Border Doc
Lots of newer choices out there, and some of the old standby powders are intermittently available. Consult online sources for the current loading data.

Universal, Win-244, W-231, AA#2 and #5, CFE Pistol all quickly come to mind as useful for your purposes. Ramshot has new releases, and VihtaVouri has lots of potential.
Look at a current "Burn Rate" chart and then shop and buy whatever you can find at your LGS. HazMat and shipping fees eat into our gun budget, but Powder Valley, Midsouth and Midway often have more inventory, at a price.

I should have mentioned Titegroup, as per your question, but it burns a bit hotter than I prefer. And you know that HP-38 and W-231 are identical twins.

CFEP is good stuff, too 👍 I use a lot of it in 45 Colt for cast.

My main problem with Titegroup is that it always gets squibby on me in rifles, and I do a lot of pistol cartridge carbine shooting. I've had the same issue with HS-6.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
May try a pound of HP-38, the local SW has it on the shelf for $36. A pound goes a long ways at 3-5gr/shot. Wonder if the name is a hint as to what is was designed for?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Winchester Superfield is close to Unique and Universal. I use Unique data. It pretty clean and is a ball powder.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There is honestly nothing like ‘ Unique ‘ so it’s unique. It’s a high nitro based flake powder that is almost water proof. It can be used in so many cartridges it’s in a league all it’s own. Load 45-70 for light target or gallery, almost any straight walled cartridges and most revolver/pistol loads from the 38 spl to the 45 Colt. It’s one of those powders that if you only have three to work with you’re covered from Unique, 3031 and 4831 and 4198 if want add a fourth.

Rick

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Universal Clays. I found it is cleaner, meters very well, but I get better accuracy using magnum small pistol primers.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
There is honestly nothing like ‘ Unique ‘ so it’s unique.

And it's not available and when it is, it is 50% more expensive than equivalent powders. Kind of like a guy who strings along a woman..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the exception of VV-N310 in 45 Auto, I have not found any powder that is as good as Bullseye where I like it best. Unique covers a whole lot of ground so that is, well, Unique. On the other hand, it’s never been my favorite powder for anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W-231/HP-38, BE-86 are my go-to's. BE-86 is supposed to be very similar to Bullseye, but with an added flash suppressant.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How do you secure that elusive powder that's useful in so many applications? Unique up on it.

Sorry.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
W-231/HP-38, BE-86 are my go-to's. BE-86 is supposed to be very similar to Bullseye, but with an added flash suppressant.

BE-86 is way slower burning than Bullseye. It's real close to Power Pistol. Load data between the two is very similar across all cartridges.

8gr of it is pretty dang good in my 327 Fed with 86gr bullets 😁

Last edited by zcm82; 01/06/24. Reason: addition
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
Are any of the newer powders like HP38 or Tightgroup as good or better than the old standby Unique or Bullseye for cast bullets in 38spcl or light 357Mag loads? Would be nice to find a spherical powder that works as well and actually meters through a RCBS powder measure.

I am having success with Win 231 and HP38.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just buy some Unique. It's out there if you dig around a bit. Natchez Shooters has it in stock, and on special

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Vithavuori N330 might get you close.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been using Titegroup in the 44 mag, 45 ACP and 45 Colt recently. It's worked out really well.

Velocity right where I wanted it. Good accuracy. Clean burning at max/near max charges. Really tight SD and ES figures. Meters well through the powder measure. I've still got most of an old 8 pound container of Unique, but TiteGroup may well replace it for some purposes. Unique has been great over the years too. Also found Titegroup to be reasonably priced and readily available.

Regards, Guy

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For me Bullseye and Unique simply work and I'll continue using them. I have other flavors too that I use from time to time mainly because I happen to have them (some of which I'm darned if I can remember why or from where I got them), but those two are my Gold Standards for all of the handgun shooting I do. Mind you I divested myself of stuff with "magnum" in their names long ago - I don't need them for any application in my handgunning life and I don't enjoy recoil - .32, .38, 9mm, .45ACP is about it anymore. I'm not a macho type guy, don't look to impress other shooters, and don't hunt with handguns, ergo no magnums here. All that's to say that B'eye and Unique suit me.

I think half the time powder companies introduce new powders because handloaders are as fickle as every other human and grow bored with the same old stuff and want something new/different in their lives. Whether those new powders are needed or show a truly marked difference from the old standbys is debatable, and a fun debate it is.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.