Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Craigster
And AKA .30 US.

Yep. Sometimes you needed a score card to know who the players were!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the oddities (or at least I think so) is that only three countries ended up adopting Krag-Jorgensen rifles for their military. The first was Denmark, with an 8mm round. The second was the U.S., and the LAST was Norway with the 6.5x55.

Some of this appeared as Chapter 51, "Several .30-40 Krags," in the first Big Book of Gun Gack. But I have also mentioned that the cartridge most American call the 6.5x55 "Swede" was co-designed by the then United Kingdoms of Norway and Sweden, though they each used a different rifle, Norway the Krag-Jorgensen and Sweden various versions of Mausers. But it would be too complicated to call it the 6.5x55 Norwegian-Swedish Krag-Mauser--which is one reason SAAMI "officially" calls the round the 6.5x55 Swedish.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did the 30 03 ever have any other names/ designations ?

BTW
Perhaps they should remarket the 6.5 Swede as the 6.5 Kragmore!

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/07/24.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The most "interesting" thing I've seen in this thread (at least so far) is how many people can't spell Krag--the common name for the round, even though the U.S. military didn't call it that.

Krag comes from the primary designer of the Krag- Jorgensen action--Ole Herman Johannes Krag, who was in charge of the Norwegian military armory in Kongsberg, not far from Oslo. His main assistant was Erik Jorgensen.

Ole's last name was spelled Krag--not Kragg or Kraig, or another I have seen more than occasionally on the Internet, Craig....

Spelling and grammar have fallen out of fashion, and those who gently point out errors are Nazis, it seems. I guess we’re living in the age of White Ebonics (I misspelled that just now, but took a few seconds to correct it).

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't know where he comes up with this stuff...my 13 year old grandson informed me last week that the .50 BMG will go into a 12 ga chamber. I of course replied, nonsense and horsefeathers. He said he saw it on YouTube. I have one of those NRA promo .50 BMG bottle openers...sure as hell, it will fit sloppy in his Browning Superposed...kinda sorta. Great possibilities here in the urban gang warfare world, H&R Topper and one free .50 BMG for 100 bucks, amaze your Homies, act now, supplies are limited.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I don't know where he comes up with this stuff...my 13 year old grandson informed me last week that the .50 BMG will go into a 12 ga chamber. I of course replied, nonsense and horsefeathers. He said he saw it on YouTube. . . . .

Yeah
I've seen a lot of bs stuff on yoofloob while looking at
various gun and reloading videos.
The reloading has a large percentage of bs as far as
just bad wrong information.
My only worry is that a beginner doesn't have the
knowledge to be able to sort out the manure from
the diamonds. I sometimes wonder if some of those
videos are misleading on purpose trying to get the
uninitiated to make a mistake for the sake of some
stupid prank

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's a lot of literature about the U.S. Krag rifle and most of it is fascinating reading (for a rifle loony anyway who really digs the history of how we got to where we are today). The first book that dealt with the Krag in what I would call a "modern" style of practical info about the design of the rifle and the practical usage of it was written in the late 1890's and first printed in 1903 when the Krag was still in front line service. Its author was Dr. W.G.Hudson, and titled "Modern Rifle Shooting from the American Standpoint". It's been re-printed occasionally over the last 120 years and can be found today in digital format in the public domain right here on the good old Internet. It would behoove anybody with an interest in Krag rifles to read it - and it's a quick read, being a rather small book.

Dr. Hudson was an interesting cat. A medical doctor who seems to have spent a lot more time messing with rifles than he did doctoring. He was renowned in shooting circles for his marksmanship skills and general handiness around a rifle range, and contributed greatly to bullet design and ballistics - not unlike a certain MuleDeer in our midst. grin (For those cast bullet shooters among us who are familiar with the Lyman mold #311284, it was Dr. Hudson who designed it. It's a 220 grain bullet that was cooked up specifically for the .30-40 Krag, allowing for duplication of the old standard factory/gov't load of 220 grains at 2000fps but with a cast bullet. Still a very popular .30 mold today.)

I have a 1st edition copy, Dr. Hudson's personal copy in fact. It cost me dearly because the seller knew what he had. I stood there at that gun show table and tried to bargain, unsuccessfully, but left with it with a smile on my face. Coincidentally I also came away with a couple of Ned Robert's personal range notebooks from 1909 and 1911 in which he recorded test results with a specific M1903 Springfield. I couldn't afford supper that night! (If anyone in our midst owns that Springfield, serial # 144079, I would grovel at your feet for a chance to buy it!)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope you at least had enough $$ to spring 4 a highball.

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/07/24.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Doesn’t matter. Got an 1895 Win for each cartridge. And I can read! 🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which one do you prefer?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kaywoodie;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I hope all is well in your section of Texas.

If you or anyone cares to comment, I'd be curious to know how many 95's were made in .303, truly even a rough guess.

The reason I ask is up here in what one would think might be where we'd see them, I can only recall seeing two or possibly three 95s in .303 over a lifetime of looking at as many unique Winchester rifles as possible.

In many historical photos from BC around the turn of the century, we'll see photos of 95s for sure, but most I run into which are still in family hands are in .30-40. I can name a couple off the top of my head - rarer carbines - which are .30-40 and the one 95 I owned for a brief while was a rifle in that chambering.

A shooting and gunsmithing mentor who passed years back had about 8??? 95s in his collection, including a first year flat side, but since he was a collector at least a couple were .38-72 and .40-72 which he liked as they were odd to see up here.

All the best and thanks in advance.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by BC30cal
kaywoodie;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I hope all is well in your section of Texas.

If you or anyone cares to comment, I'd be curious to know how many 95's were made in .303, truly even a rough guess.

The reason I ask is up here in what one would think might be where we'd see them, I can only recall seeing two or possibly three 95s in .303 over a lifetime of looking at as many unique Winchester rifles as possible.

In many historical photos from BC around the turn of the century, we'll see photos of 95s for sure, but most I run into which are still in family hands are in .30-40. I can name a couple off the top of my head - rarer carbines - which are .30-40 and the one 95 I owned for a brief while was a rifle in that chambering.

A shooting and gunsmithing mentor who passed years back had about 8??? 95s in his collection, including a first year flat side, but since he was a collector at least a couple were .38-72 and .40-72 which he liked as they were odd to see up here.

All the best and thanks in advance.

Dwayne

Greetings Dwayne. Hope you and your loved ones are doing well!

I do not know off top of my head and my copy of the new 1895 book is trapped away in a box up in the barn somewhere. I’ve only seen a couple in my cruising around as well and one is up in my gun safe.

Cheers to you and happy new year!!

Bob

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kaywoodie;
Thanks for the reply sir.

If you ever find the book and happen upon that info, please feel free to drop me a line here or on FacePlant.

When I looked up the list of chamberings, I realized that I can't place a single instance of 7.62x54 Russian - well maybe one at a gun show one time, but I can't say that with certainty either.

Funny enough as well, I'd say that .30-06 is likely tied with .30-30 as the most popular chambering or better said ammo boxes at the hardware stores when I was a kid - well along with .303 because nearly every farmhouse had a LE or Pattern 14 somewhere. Despite that, I've only seen a handful of 95s in 30-06 up here - well the older ones at least Bob.

The new Miroku ones we do see at the gun shows from time to time, but after looking at the asking price tag, I can't recall looking at one any closer.

Not that they're not worth whatever the asking is or was, just that it isn't a number I'm comfortable spending on a new production rifle.

Thanks again and have a great Sunday.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
To me the epitome of a turn of the century (20th century) hunter is a steely-eyed rugged cuss standing on a rock with a mountain vista behind him - wearing jodhpurs, knee high wool socks, calf high lace-up boots, wool shirt, fedora on his head, and a cartridge belt with sheath knife around his waist. Clutched in his hands is an 1895 Winchester, of course.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Which one do you prefer?

I’m sorry Angus. I like em both. But I’m really partial to the .30 US

On another note I have a very old box marked .30-220. For Springfield and Winchester rifles

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
To me the epitome of a turn of the century (20th century) hunter is a steely-eyed rugged cuss standing on a rock with a mountain vista behind him - wearing jodhpurs, knee high wool socks, calf high lace-up boots, wool shirt, fedora on his head, and a cartridge belt with sheath knife around his waist. Clutched in his hands is an 1895 Winchester, of course.

As a kid I read a 1915ish book entitled The Ringnecked Grizzly. The protgonists went on a long hunting trip, two adults and two teanage boys. They carried 95s in .33 Winchester among other period arms. I'd love to read that book again!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

You realize, I occasionally dress in this fashion while afield. 😉

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

You realize, I occasionally dress in this fashion while afield. 😉

Figured you did!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Umm, perhaps the reason for the steely eyed visage with a rather unpleasant cast, with obvious beads of perspiration, was he was tired of trying to pack a '95 by it's awkward balance point...invariably right on the #@*&%! hangy downy magazine thingy. Not to mention, it was heavier than a dead Mennonite.
If you again look carefully at the painting, several hundred yards out in front of ol' steely eye, there is gentleman of a more pleasing countenance, dressed in less flamboyant costume, bounding over boulders the size of an oxen, cool, dry and contented if not smug...clutching ever so lightly a 99 Savage in .38-55. You will note upon closer inspection, he needs not carry a showy knife nor a Mexican like display of cartridge belt.
I much lament the lack of observation of some on the wrong side of the Rockies.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
99s do balance nicely right ahead of the lever.....but can sure freeze your hands on a cold day! I think that fellow had a .303 Savage, though.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (AceBall, 10Glocks, Amos63, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,676 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.