Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Lehmann did open a dance hall at Cherry Springs.

I used to love going there!

That, Crider's in Hunt, and the Caberet in Bandera were on my circuit of dance halls. smile

What about London dance hall? 🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What about London dance hall? 🤣

Went there too!

Had a gal in the nearby town who loved to dance, and she'd call me up to take her to London Hall now and then.

Ended up at the Purple Sage in Uvalde quite a bit too.

Not many places left. They have either closed down, turned into Meskin joints, or started having that queer Austin music by bands that look pretty feral. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wind blew the roof off ff the little cafe across the road from the London dance hall last spring. Was run by some old sisters. We’d hit that place on Friday’s for the catfish lunch special. We tore down a barn on a place between London and Saline creek. Got some good stuff out of it.

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This from Texas Ranger Captain John Salmon RIP Ford’s collected memoirs (RIP Ford’s Texas). Captain Ford fought Comanches more than any other White man who lived to tell the tale.

In the event of being pursued, immediately, after the preparation of depredations, the Comanches move day and night, very often not breaking a gallop, except to exchange horses and to water the caballada. Under these circumstances, they will travel at least 70 miles a day, which is a long distance with the encumbrance of loose animals….

They sit a horse admirably, and manage one with a master hand. Charge them and they will retreat from you with double your numbers, but beware when pursuing them, keep your men together, well in hand, with at least half their arms loaded, else you will find when it is too late the flying Comanches will turn on you and charge you to the very teeth.

Never ride upon a bowman’s left; if you do, ten to one that he will pop an arrow through you. When mounted, an Indian cannot use his bow against an object behind and to his right…..

The bow is placed horizontally in shooting; a number of arrows are held in the left-hand. The bow operates as a rest to the arrows. The distance – the curve the missile has to describe in reaching the object – is determined by the eye without taking aim. Arrows are sped after each other in rapid succession.

At the distance of 60 yards and over, arrows can be dodged, if but one Indian shoots at you at one time. Under 40 yards the six-shooter has little advantage over the bow. At long distances the angle of elevation is considerable. It requires a quick eye to see the arrow, and judge the whereabouts of its descent, a good dodger to move out of the way, and a good rider withal to keep in the saddle. A man is required to keep both eyes engaged in an Indian fight.

A Comanche can draw a bow when on horseback, standing or running, with remarkable strength and accuracy, they have been known to kill horses running at full speed over 100 yards away.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
This from Texas Ranger Captain John Salmon RIP Ford’s collected memoirs (RIP Ford’s Texas). Captain Ford fought Comanches more than any other White man who lived to tell the tale.

In the event of being pursued, immediately, after the preparation of depredations, the Comanches move day and night, very often not breaking a gallop, except to exchange horses and to water the caballada. Under these circumstances, they will travel at least 70 miles a day, which is a long distance with the encumbrance of loose animals….

They sit a horse admirably, and manage one with a master hand. Charge them and they will retreat from you with double your numbers, but beware when pursuing them, keep your men together, well in hand, with at least half their arms loaded, else you will find when it is too late the flying Comanches will turn on you and charge you to the very teeth.

Never ride upon a bowman’s left; if you do, ten to one that he will pop an arrow through you. When mounted, an Indian cannot use his bow against an object behind and to his right…..

The bow is placed horizontally in shooting; a number of arrows are held in the left-hand. The bow operates as a rest to the arrows. The distance – the curve the missile has to describe in reaching the object – is determined by the eye without taking aim. Arrows are sped after each other in rapid succession.

At the distance of 60 yards and over, arrows can be dodged, if but one Indian shoots at you at one time. Under 40 yards the six-shooter has little advantage over the bow. At long distances the angle of elevation is considerable. It requires a quick eye to see the arrow, and judge the whereabouts of its descent, a good dodger to move out of the way, and a good rider withal to keep in the saddle. A man is required to keep both eyes engaged in an Indian fight.

A Comanche can draw a bow when on horseback, standing or running, with remarkable strength and accuracy, they have been known to kill horses running at full speed over 100 yards away.

I remember reading that and thinking it would be my luck that I would wind up chasing the one left-handed Comanche!

BTW, does anyone know which Apaches raided in the hill country? Were they Lipans or Kiowa-Apaches?

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I think most were Kiowa-Apaches 3040. But there were Mescaleros that raided this far east too.

Birdy remember Josiah Gregg when visiting a Comanche camp in the IT. He had a Paterson revolver and one of the chiefs challenged him to a match to see who could shoot the fastest, revolver or bow.

He went on to say the chief could let loose 5 arrows with accuracy, before he could empty his Paterson
( from "The Commerce Of The Prairie" by Josiah Greeg).

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
A whole herd of my reenacting buds were involved in a short documentary on Jack C Hays several years back. With a good representation of the Battle of Walker creek. I’ll see if I can find it.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VppeJGXI8pU&pp=ygUXamFjayBjIGhheXMgZG9jdW1lbnRhcnk%3D

Sorry for some reason I haven’t been able to embed videos from YouTube on this forum anymore

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think most were Kiowa-Apaches 3040. But there were Mescaleros that raided this far east too.

Birdy remember Josiah Gregg when visiting a Comanche camp in the IT. He had a Paterson revolver and one of the chiefs challenged him to a match to see who could shoot the fastest, revolver or bow.

He went on to say the chief could let loose 5 arrows with accuracy, before he could empty his Paterson

Bob, I'm not sure which group was raiding central Texas in those days but I believe that there was no group known as "Mescalero" until after Geronimo's surrender and the Apaches were bottled up in Oklahoma. A certain group of them were extremely unhappy with their situation in Oklahoma and they petitioned the gubmint for years to go back to their traditional lands, then were eventually granted the reservation in New Mexico we now know by the name. Not all were in favor of the move to that parcel, but the ones who did migrate back to NM then became known as the Mescaleros. The Mescaleros then allowed another group whose origins I cannot recall to join the Mescalero band. I could have some of that sequence wrong, but that's how I recall the history.

I wish I could recall more detail, but I am doing well to remember that much.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Experiment...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I played with that link, and it worked. Hhmmm...

I changed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VppeJGXI8pU&pp=ygUXamFjayBjIGhheXMgZG9jdW1lbnRhcnk%3D

to

https://youtube.com/VppeJGXI8pU

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Bob, I'm not sure which group was raiding central Texas in those days but I believe that there was no group known as "Mescalero" until after Geronimo's surrender and the Apaches were bottled up in Oklahoma. A certain group of them were extremely unhappy with their situation in Oklahoma and they petitioned the gubmint for years to go back to their traditional lands, then were eventually granted the reservation in New Mexico we now know by the name. Not all were in favor of the move to that parcel, but the ones who did migrate back to NM then became known as the Mescaleros. The Mescaleros then allowed another group whose origins I cannot recall to join the Mescalero band. I could have some of that sequence wrong, but that's how I recall the history.

I don’t really know either. I know there were a groupother that the Lipan and kiowa-apache that got the smith boys and allegedly one of them ended up in Geronimo’s band. They and maybe the White Mtn??? Were the ones I speculated. Birdy should chime in as I know he’s spent time with Mescaleros.

I seem to remember a skirmish in southern NM (?) between an apache band and the US Army with a unit of Mexican cav coming up from the south. One of the Apaches in the middle of the fight got up and started yelling at the Americans that they should both join together and fight the Mexicans as they were a common enemy. Birdy? Remember that one???

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Experiment...

Thanks

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lucky guess!

Don't be the darkness.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I believe The name Mescalero was more of a way to describe a band/regional group. Mescalero were part of the central apaches. And you’re correct, a group of Chiricahuas settled on the reservation as well.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NMpistolero

I believe The name Mescalero was more of a way to describe a band/regional group. Mescalero were part of the central apaches. And you’re correct, a group of Chiricahuas settled on the reservation as well.

I read Indeh, by Eve Ball only last summer. That is the one source of what I have read on the subject of the Apache. That is only one book among a multitude, but I think what makes it interesting is how it was written.

The author was a school teacher who moved into the Ruidoso area to teach on the reservation early in the 20th century. The Apache were a very closed society and basically would not converse with Whites and distanced themselves pretty effectively. Somehow, over time, Ms. Ball made friends with some who were old enough to remember the days before they were rounded up and sent to Oklahoma. Some knew Geronimo and other important leaders before him even.

What she did was gain their confidence sufficiently that they told their stories, one on one, in bits and pieces. She spoke with several of them over a period of years and recorded what they said. The story is pieced together, bits and pieces told entirely from the Apache perspective. It was all very interesting, and I'd read it again.

In another year I could probably read it and it would be like the first time, unfortunately. I am sure I would enjoy it, though.

Don't be the darkness.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
It was a mixed band of Lipans and comanches that got the smith brothers. I suspect the apaches that got Hermann Lehmann were also Lipans. Same with Adolph Korn. Just mentions Apaches got him. And they eventually met up at a Comanche camp.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Mason Texas Author Fred Gipson now comes to mind. Where he got his inspiration for Savage Sam!

Founder

WS

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by NMpistolero

I read Indeh, by Eve Ball only last summer. That is the one source of what I have read on the subject of the Apache. That is only one book among a multitude, but I think what makes it interesting is how it was written.

The author was a school teacher who moved into the Ruidoso area to teach on the reservation early in the 20th century. The Apache were a very closed society and basically would not converse with Whites and distanced themselves pretty effectively. Somehow, over time, Ms. Ball made friends with some who were old enough to remember the days before they were rounded up and sent to Oklahoma. Some knew Geronimo and other important leaders before him even.

What she did was gain their confidence sufficiently that they told their stories, one on one, in bits and pieces. She spoke with several of them over a period of years and recorded what they said. The story is pieced together, bits and pieces told entirely from the Apache perspective. It was all very interesting, and I'd read it again.

In another year I could probably read it and it would be like the first time, unfortunately. I am sure I would enjoy it, though.

I enjoy her books. I’ve read Indeh, another book of hers that is a great read is Ma’am Jones of the Pecos. ABout one of the first white families to settle the region. It talks about them rescuing a white captive boy from the Mescaleros, as well as doctoring the young Chief Magoosh. It also gives a slightly different perspective from the other side of the coin as far as the Lincoln county war.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,374 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,864
Posts18,497,268
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.