Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19087747 01/08/24
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
This is a pet peeve of mine but why do a great many posters show rimfire group targets without having the listed yardage on the target?

I am always suspect of posted "bragging" targets but when there is no note of yardage on the target the red flag goes up a bit more.

I would not be surprised that many of the targets are shot at 25 yards or less, and then when they are posted without a yardage note the poster is hoping that it will be assumed to having been shot at 50 yards. That way they are not exactly fibbing, they just are not laying out the complete story.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I generally shoot at 50 yards, since my clubs rimfire matches are held at 50 yards. That is where I like to keep them dialed in at. The kyl, golf ball shoots, and bullseye rimfire matches are all shot at 50 yards. If I were shooting closer, I'd be using a pistol or bb gun.. Don't get too worked up about it. Just ask in the thread you are talking about. Guys shouldn't have a problem with telling you or even showing you the distance targets are shot. Yesterday, I thought about posting a pic of the range, and the footprints leading to the target in the snow. You could have counted those. ha ha...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Furthermore, if I start watching a Youtube video of guys shooting their super fancy highly accurate "precision" rimfire, and they say they are shooting at 25 yards, I instantly go to a different video. Sometimes I'll even hit the thumbs down. For centerfire rifles, I don't shoot targets less than 100 yards. For a rimfire, I don't shoot targets less than 50 yards. Just a cold hard rule for me.

You could get mad about centerfire shooters as well. I never state 100 yards on my targets, but I always mark when the target is shot at 400 or further out. Some guys think, geez, that .8" group isn't very good. Well, it's shot at 400 yards, dummy.. ha ha...

I can see wher you are coming from though. Some guys will throw in a target shot at 50', and you have to zoom in on the target and see that. Hey, at least they marked it as such. But they can be misleading in a way. I don't think they do that purposely. Most guys here are pretty cool. I can appreciate the fact that they probably shoot more than some of the other guys in the other forums. At least when I have started some shooting challenge threads here, I get more participation from these guys. And that deserves some respect..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I always shoot at 50.. I love the guys who claim they’re easily shooting under an inch at 100

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I always shoot at 50.. I love the guys who claim they’re easily shooting under an inch at 100

Same here.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Same here.

drover

I was telling bsa..the other day I was shooting a new vudoo and sk rifle match groups were making me happy at 50. Dead on zeroed and nice and tight

I moved the target out to 100 into the full wind and groups opened up to 2” and impact was 2 full inches to the right

She's gone shootin..
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I shoot at 50 as that is what all of the matches I shoot are shot at.
Will go longer ever now and then but mainly stay at 50.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
for me competitive shooting on silhouettes in the yards at local non-formal matches are 25, 50, 75, 100 yd

more formal NRA or international matches are 40, 60, 77, 100 meters
bench rest matches everywhere I've attended are 50 yards

of course you're a local clubs that do things differently. or if you're into the long range silhouette with 22s a lot of them do them out to you know six seven eight hundred yards..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It worked/works for Cooper…
I thought for years those test targets were shot at 50.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
It worked/works for Cooper…
I thought for years those test targets were shot at 50.

Hahaha yeah me too..what are they 35, yes?

She's gone shootin..
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That’s my understanding, 35 yds and centerfire at 50yds. I will say, a 57M I had in .22WMR and sent back to Cooper to rebarrel in .17HMR when it came out was scary accurate. The .22WMR barrel was a shooter too.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/08/24.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had a BIL years ago that showed me impressive targets, first time visiting their house his bench was no more than 40 yds from the target frame.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's interesting to see what everyone is working on and how they're doing but It doesn't matter to me if they're misrepresenting target distance.

It's the internet after all but you can figure out pretty quick who's playing it straight and who's padding their ego.

For me, Air rifles start at 30yds, 22lr is 50yds to compare ammo and shooting offhand silhouettes to keep me from thinking I know what I'm doing...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All of my shooting is at 50 yards. Just fun range time.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I do most of my pleasure shooting with .22's at 50 yards. Can't remember the last time I shot a .22 rifle at a paper target less than 50 yards away. Our range isn't set up for that anyway.

But all my competition .22 shooting is at 100 yards. The competition I engage in is American Single Shot Rifle Association stuff and there is no event for that at less than 100 yards. 1/2MOA groups are commonly fired in those events, with enough sub-1/2MOA groups to open your eyes. At our last match of the season last year I shot a .420" group and was cock-a-hoop until a lady posted a .390" group and I had to settle for 2nd place. (We were both shooting BSA Internationals and Eley Tenex.) Five shot groups by the way, and I sure as hell don't pull that off every time. The Wind is an everlovingbitch.

There's a little less pressure in 100 yard score competition because nippers on the next highest scoring ring counts the higher number. Ten shot scores of 250 are fairly common, and typically the number of center hits solidly inside the 3/4" 25-ring decides the day's winner. I took it on the same weekend as above with a 250-9C, and it was a squeaker because the 2nd place guy shot a 250-7C.

My physique denies me the opportunity to shoot offhand or from prone anymore so it's strictly benchrest for me. But, I've witnessed some scary good offhand shooters turn in targets that look like they were fired by duffers off the bench.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Drover:I commiserate with you - I got tired of asking both rimfire and centerfire shooters WHAT range their "posted groups" on this forum were shot at.
I test 22 L.R. ammunition in a Rifle for "accuracy" at 50 yards (on windless days).
I test 17 HMR ammunition in a Rifle for "accuracy" at 100 yards (on windless days).
I test 17 Mach2 and 22 Magnum ammunition for "accuracy" in a Rifle at 75 yards (on windless days).
Then I go about ascertaining "drop" at varying distances once I have chosen my rimfires most accurate ammunition.
Then done and shooting is most all at small game and Varmints.
Distance is amongst the very first bits of information I post here, when describing accuracy/group size.
Without the "distance" group size and grouping pictures are useless posts.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I practice at 50, 100, and 200 yard. Bolt and semi auto. I rarely post photos of groups. I do very much appreciate BSA1917 effort in documenting and posting photos as he does.

At one of the clubs we have a 22rf JFF steel silhouette shoot at either 50 or 100 yard. Shot off a bench, any front rest or bipod, no rear bag.

The steel is odd shapes, a giant washer, figure 8 with centers open, wagon wheel, thunderbolt, 1/4 moon crescent, 1/10 scale ram, 1/5 scale chicken & pig shapes like that. Most have about 1 1/2" or so area either vertical or width to shoot at. We also have some 3" & 4" square and round feel good targets we hang now and then. All targets are hung on short lengths of chain.

We hang 5 steel targets spread out over 25 foot or so wide, some higher or lower by 3 foot or so. Idea is to shoot one shot at each target left to right, then left to right again with a 2 minute time limit, 10 shot total. This is 1 relay. Then shoot the same again for 2 relays for score.

Hi score is number of hits <20 is max> in lowest time.

The target order can change, say begin left to right for this first 5, then right to left for the second 5. Mix it up every weekend. Sometimes 50 yard, sometimes 100 yard.

It's a fun shoot.

Other club has a 200 yard steel 1/5 scale ram silhouette, 20 targets that have to fall off of rail to count. 20 minute time limit, any rest any bag, shot off bench.

GOA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
I practice at 50, 100, and 200 yard. Bolt and semi auto. I rarely post photos of groups. I do very much appreciate BSA1917 effort in documenting and posting photos as he does.

At one of the clubs we have a 22rf JFF steel silhouette shoot at either 50 or 100 yard. Shot off a bench, any front rest or bipod, no rear bag.

The steel is odd shapes, a giant washer, figure 8 with centers open, wagon wheel, thunderbolt, 1/4 moon crescent, 1/10 scale ram, 1/5 scale chicken & pig shapes like that. Most have about 1 1/2" or so area either vertical or width to shoot at. We also have some 3" & 4" square and round feel good targets we hang now and then. All targets are hung on short lengths of chain.

We hang 5 steel targets spread out over 25 foot or so wide, some higher or lower by 3 foot or so. Idea is to shoot one shot at each target left to right, then left to right again with a 2 minute time limit, 10 shot total. This is 1 relay. Then shoot the same again for 2 relays for score.

Hi score is number of hits <20 is max> in lowest time.

The target order can change, say begin left to right for this first 5, then right to left for the second 5. Mix it up every weekend. Sometimes 50 yard, sometimes 100 yard.

It's a fun shoot.

Other club has a 200 yard steel 1/5 scale ram silhouette, 20 targets that have to fall off of rail to count. 20 minute time limit, any rest any bag, shot off bench.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I was at the local range once when a guy showed up with a small pickup load of steel silhouette targets. Small chickens, pigs and rams. He asked if I cared if he set them up, and I helped him. He shot everything offhand. I think the furthest target was around 75 yards out. He said he had a shoot to go to in Boise, and he wanted to practice his offhand shooting. I guess it's pretty popular. Looked like a lot of fun.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My hands were too cold man!!!! Cant I just show the picture, and you can guess how far it was?

Bwahahaha... I will say it was 25 degrees and the wind was blowing 8-12 MPH..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
My hands were too cold man!!!! Cant I just show the picture, and you can guess how far it was?

I can't see the target in the photo but I'll throw in my guess as 100yards-ish. Yay or nay?

To be honest I typically shoot 22LR at 100 and 200yds these days - I was getting sick of the ragged hole groups at 50yds. wink

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I can't see the target in the photo but I'll throw in my guess as 100yards-ish. Yay or nay?

To be honest I typically shoot 22LR at 100 and 200yds these days - I was getting sick of the ragged hole groups at 50yds. wink

Me too. When that happens, switch ammo, to something like Federal automatch or American Eagle. Or switch to iron sights, then switch to your weak side. I do that all the time when shooting irons. When you master ragged hole groups with those, it's time to get a new rifle to mess with. Just how I do it..

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,897
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.