Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Woolsocks
Back to the original question. Has anybody had a 75 percent plus accuracy gain from reloading, either by finding a bullet the barrel likes, or reducing the jump to the lands? Sounds like the answer is not so much..

Over random factory ammo?

Yes

If you’re not going to handload, you have to do what was already suggested. Buy a variety of factory ammo that fits your requirements and see which one shoots the best. When and if you find one that shoots well, buy as much of that lot number as you can get your hands on.

If nothing shoots well, whether factory or handloads, the barrel just might not be capable of anything better.

You’ll save money in the long run by having it rebarreled

I skimmed through the thread, but I think he said it shot "match grade" ammo well. Don't quote me, it was lastnight when I skimmed through it. I also don't think he's listening to the posters saying that they can markedly improve accuracy with handloads. He needs to go back through and read some of the comments. Best of luck to him, as it sounds like he already has his mind made up about handlaods and how much they can improve a rifle's accuracy. He also said everything has been checked like bedding, glass, rings and mounts. So if that is the case, like I said in my first post, it looks like its narrowed down to ammo or shooter error.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UNtil you get something to compare your fired cases with your new ammo, yuo won't know. The same with looking into the barrel to see if you have a barrel problem.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have a couple of guns that are projects. Both are shooting 3-4 moa groups with factory hunting ammo. Both should be very accurate guns.

I’m systematically going through and looking for problems. One such problem might be the ammo.

One question: what sort of test might I do to see if the ammo is part of the problem? (I’ve heard do measuring chamber depth to see if you’re seated too far back, but is that doable without specialized tools?)

Second: Has anyone gone from 3-4 moa to sub moa by switching to hand-loads? Or is it usually a matter of going from something like 1moa to 1/2 moa?

To predict some comments, yes I’ve checked the scope, rings,mounts, crown and attachment to the stock. Having a gunsmith scope the barrel is next.

I have one factory rifle, A Winchester Heavy Varmint chambered in 220 Swift
With ANY factory ammo I have tried it shoots 3 MOA at best. with lots of tinkering with handloads it is easily a 1/2 MOA rifle. only downside is OAL of my handloads make it a single shot but that is fine with me

That’s some good info. Did you ever figure out why such a discernible difference? Bullet type, powder type, seating?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yes, I bought beautifully stocked T77V 25-06. back in the 70's. Factory ammo went about 5"..I bought a $19 Lee loader and worked up loads that went MOA, no other adjustments or work (my gun knowledge at the time being pointy end goes away). I think now that the chamber may have been overly deep.

The stock was fiddleback end to end. Never should have sold that thing!!!!

Last edited by las; 12/12/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ammo can make a huge difference in accuracy. I have seen big differences in factory ammo.
I load my own for my rifles and the loads I have settled on shoot better than the factory ammo I have tried. Plus I can duplicate it. Factory ammo sometimes changes their components. Find something that shoots well then they discontinue your load you like.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a couple of guns that are projects. Both are shooting 3-4 moa groups with factory hunting ammo. Both should be very accurate guns.

I’m systematically going through and looking for problems. One such problem might be the ammo.

One question: what sort of test might I do to see if the ammo is part of the problem? (I’ve heard do measuring chamber depth to see if you’re seated too far back, but is that doable without specialized tools?)

Second: Has anyone gone from 3-4 moa to sub moa by switching to hand-loads? Or is it usually a matter of going from something like 1moa to 1/2 moa?

To predict some comments, yes I’ve checked the scope, rings,mounts, crown and attachment to the stock. Having a gunsmith scope the barrel is next.

Handloading provides 3 primary benefits.

1. It allows you to find the most accurate or best performing bullet for your hunting needs by tailoring the load to your specific rifle.

2. It saves money if you shoot enough, on a cost per round basis as cases are reusable and components such as primers and powders can be shared across a range of other cartridges.

3. Finally it provides and extention to your existing firearms hobby by generating hours and years of cumulative knowlege and the satisfaction experienced for taking game or shooting your best groups with loads you have created yourself.

There are occasions where a factory load is hard to beat in a particular rifle but you will find it much harder to drop that fired case on the ground and walk away.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Handloading provides 3 primary benefits.

1. It allows you to find the most accurate or best performing bullet for your hunting needs by tailoring the load to your specific rifle.

2. It saves money if you shoot enough, on a cost per round basis as cases are reusable and components such as primers and powders can be shared across a range of other cartridges.

3. Finally it provides and extention to your existing firearms hobby by generating hours and years of cumulative knowlege and the satisfaction experienced for taking game or shooting your best groups with loads you have created yourself.

There are occasions where a factory load is hard to beat in a particular rifle but you will find it much harder to drop that fired case on the ground and walk away.

You left out the fact that handloads are a lot more reliable as well, since you know exactly what is put into them.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Generally offers a bit more accuracy when tuned for a specific firearm. While not as great as it once was…..a savings in cost vs. buying factory loaded ammunition. The pride and satisfaction of having loaded your own for cost savings and better performance.

Perhaps most important: if you act wisely, stockpiling additional components for that day when your needed ammunition sources dry-up! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/08/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Generally offers a bit more accuracy when tuned for a specific firearm. While not as great as it once was…..a savings in cost vs. buying factory loaded ammunition. The pride and satisfaction of having loaded your own for cost savings and better performance.

Perhaps most important: if you act wisely, stockpiling additional components for that day when your needed ammunition sources dry-up! memtb

Exactly. I'll bet a lot of us that shoot a lot wished they would have bought more primers. I went through 6,000 BR2's last year. As for components, there are still some damn good deals out there, but you have to watch for them. I get great deals all the time. And even pass that on to some guys here. Funny thing, some guys ask me to keep an eye on some stuff, and I do. A couple months back, I ran in to some old discontinued Barnes originals for the 30 caliber. I already have a box stashed away, just for the cool factor, but these were only $15/box:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The .338's were the same price. But the 250gr .30 cal's are pretty cool to find. You rarely see them anymore.

The word on the street is ammo supplies are going to start drying up again, so you better stockpile now, while you can. I was talking to a couple different shops, and I guess they are going to start raising prices on primers again. Thanks current administration!!!!!! FJB!!!!!

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I didn`t read where the OP mentioned chamberings for the rifles in question....might be a clue.

Shot a new 6.8 Western in a Browning for a friend a few weeks ago that proved to shoot the same with factory stuff, Winchester I believe, as the OP. Compairing bullet seat depth within a box, found them to be all over. I`d also read some not-so-good reviews by other shooters on the same ammo.

Maybe the OP should look for reviews on the stuff he`s using, before jumping through hoops.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I didn`t read where the OP mentioned chamberings for the rifles in question....might be a clue.

Shot a new 6.8 Western in a Browning for a friend a few weeks ago that proved to shoot the same with factory stuff, Winchester I believe, as the OP. Compairing bullet seat depth within a box, found them to be all over. I`d also read some not-so-good reviews by other shooters on the same ammo.

Maybe the OP should look for reviews on the stuff he`s using, before jumping through hoops.

Last year, I ran into a couple guys shooting the 6.8 western. They were friends. Both shooting factory ammo. Winchester factory ammo. One of them had a Browning, the other a cheaper Winchester XPR. They both shot like schidt. In the 2-3" for 3 shot range. Then they start talking to me, expounding on the virtues of the new 6.8 western cartridge, and it's fast twist barrel.. I tried not to laugh..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Handloading can do a great deal….and sometimes nothing at all. I have a couple Mark Vs that regularly cloverleaf with factory amm they like. I tried to duplicate those loads with the same bullets. In both rifles, I could match accuracy or velocity, but never at the same time. This was even loading the same bullets to the same COAL.

On the other hand, the majority of rifles I’ve owned shot notably better…and faster with my handloads, and used the bullets I chose for a particular purpose.

Case in point: I’m a Tikka slut and have found them remarkably easy to shoot well, whether factory or handloads. Along came a T3x in 7mm-08. With factory ammo and numerous loads at various COAL, it was a 3 moa gun. I changed scopes, retourqued the actions/bases/rings, all to no avail. Turns out this particular gun does not shoot well with a number of bullets and loads with a COAL <2.8” which was all the factory mag would accept. When I tried loads.020 off the lands, every load shot <.75”, and with Pharmseller’s load of 47.5g of big game, it has shot multiple one hole groups. Fortunately, Mountain Tactical mags work perfectly accommodating a 2.922” COAL.

My point is a gun that I’d have sent down the road turned out to be a real shooter. While the accuracy/quality of factory ammo has markedly improved over the decades, handoading is the best bet to find a load that matches a particular rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only read the first post. But if you have a rifle that shoots 4 MOA with factory ammo, get rid of it. Reloading won't fix a crippled dog.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Handloading gives you more trigger time.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I’ve had some factory ammo do pretty well, occasionally very well like some Norma 6CM Match, in general I’ve always gotten better results with my own, even using new brass right out of the bag. Aside from .223 and 9mm, I shoot my stuff +95% of the time, and only buy factory when it’s deeply discounted or as a reference point for my stuff. I’ve been pretty disappointed by some of it, and I’ve learned to not get wound up by poor results with a new rifle until I’ve rolled some of my own for it. Dies and the other odd bits needed to load are purchased at the same time as a new rifle if I don’t already have them for the cartridge it uses.

If you’re serious about your shooting, you should invest in the stuff needed to handload, and that includes the measuring tools required for making safe and precise ammo. Better to spend for that than blowing a bunch for more rifles and searching for ammo that shoots well in them. Even if you get lucky with ammo selection, chances are the factory recipe will change, or it will be discontinued etc. Take control of your results.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Feral_American
What distances have you tested these rifles?

Chamberings?
Twists?
Bullets?

100 yards and 300 yards.

300prc - have shot (factory ammo) eld-x, eld-m and outfitter. Eld-m shoots 3/4 moa. The other two 2-3 moa. 1:8 twist.

28nosler - (factory) eld-x and 175gr ABLR. Eld-x does 2moa, ABLR does 4. 1:8.5 twist.

OP what do you need a flashing neon light? Use the ELD M in the 300prc most guys on this forum say that the ELD M bullets work better on game than the ELD X's do. I did not have good results with the expensive nosler ammo in my 7 SAUM at $66/ box I don't need to try anymore either. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
O
I wouldn't waste any more ammo, reloaded or factory, until you have properly bedded your rail.

It would be surprising if that alone didn't fix all or most of your problem.

Correct torque is meaningless without proper bedding.

Last edited by oldno77; 01/09/24.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JD45
I only read the first post. But if you have a rifle that shoots 4 MOA with factory ammo, get rid of it. Reloading won't fix a crippled dog.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!! Rio7

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.