Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BRSnow Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have an original MP shield 9mm. Just been in the safe. Really like the feel, seems to fit my larger hands. Have read the trigger update with apex and possible trijicon hd sights. I paid very little, I believe $250 for it. Are the upgrades worth it or does the pistol function well stock? Appreciate the insights.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I installed an Apex trigger in a M&P 9mm and it’s absolutely the best trigger I’ve ever felt on a striker-fired gun. My gun is the 2.0 version so I’m not sure how much different the first version would affect the outcome. The Apex trigger pull is adjustable at install by a combination of springs. I can’t explain exactly, I had a gunsmith install it. Based on my experience I would highly recommend it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i had a original shield, it was an ok gun, I traded it in for a p365 that is more accurate, holds more rounds, came with good night sights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've put apex kits in my full size M&P's and really like them. I also have a original Shield that I just polished the trigger bar and striker block plunger to get rid of the gritty feel. After doing that and adding a Hogue grip sleeve I sold my Glock 26

Last edited by Dons99; 01/03/24.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've moved on to a Shield plus, which comes with a "better" trigger, but put an Apex in my USPSA 5" M&P and it's a great trigger. The stock trigger wasn't bad IMO though, and I kept the stock in my Shield 45. It's been my experience that few hundred rounds really smooths out the stock trigger pull.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No 'upgrades' needed. Just shoot the SOB.

Last edited by JakeM78; 01/06/24.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mine has been my EDC for many years. Bone stock. It has been extremely reliable with every ammo I have run through it. The trigger did get smoother with use. Not sure exactly how many rounds through mine but safe to say a few thousand. I would suggest you shoot yours some and see what you think. I'd like something with with more capacity but mine conceals so well and is so reliable I'll keep carrying it and practicing reloads.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BRSnow
I have an original MP shield 9mm. Just been in the safe. Really like the feel, seems to fit my larger hands. Have read the trigger update with apex and possible trijicon hd sights. I paid very little, I believe $250 for it. Are the upgrades worth it or does the pistol function well stock? Appreciate the insights.
I've always wanted to like the Shield. However, I shot other people's examples at the range, and couldn't fall in love with it. When the Shield Plus came out, I figured I'd like it better due to a thicker grip, but also didn't fall in love with it, and quickly went back to my Glock 26. Sold the Shield Plus.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The market seems to be flooded with Shield 9MMs in my area

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Gen I Shield is my most carried gun. I love the dimensions and it shoots well. Maybe I’m just used to it, but I find the trigger on mine to be great.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Apex trigger is “ok”. For me I’d say it was worth it. The stock trigger on my shield plus is awesome. Mine have been very accurate and prefer them over the sig. If it was me, I’d sell the gen one and buy an mos shield plus.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maguts mag extension, 11 rds in the shield

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I still don't understand doing anything to a gun you've never shot, except shooting it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The Shield is my go-to discreet carry. Gen 1 9mm. I love it for what it is as it is. I don’t believe a bunch of pimping is in order unless you just wanna spend money and have convinced yourself you gotta have mo’ betta. Just stick an extra mag in your pocket or on your belt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the Shield was first introduced it was hot stuff. Technology has given us options that hold more bullets in about the same size platform. That doesn't mean that the Shield quit being a solid choice. I have a first generation Shield and with the MagGuts +2 it is a 10+1 gun. I have it stashed someplace convenient to hand when kicked back by the fireplace while reading a book (taking a snooze in my big comfy chair). They aren't worth much in the used gun market nowadays so I use mine for jobs like that. It isn't my primary ccw handgun, but handy enough to keep around.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just go shoot it. Odds are that you don't need to do a single thing to the gun. Shoot, clean, rinse, repeat.

I know many folks like to tinker with stuff, but a great deal of the time, there is nothing to really gain, and quite often when it comes to firearms people start adding/swapping parts and it compromises the reliability of the guns. I cannot even begin to put a number on the amount of Glocks I saw come across my bench when I was at various U.S. Embassy outposts that had some sort of issue. Magically as soon as I tore them down and took out the aftermarket crap someone had put in there to "improve" them, and returned them to stock condition, they ran perfectly. Of course I almost always got the same answer; "It was like that when I got it/it was issued to me like that". crazy

Anyways, go shoot the gun for at least 3-4 range trips and get 6-800 rounds through it. Then determine if you really need to do anything, other than buy more ammo and improve your skill sets.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yep

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AZtwins
I installed an Apex trigger in a M&P 9mm and it’s absolutely the best trigger I’ve ever felt on a striker-fired gun.

I second this 100%. Have it in three full size M&P's and it's the reason I've moved from full size Glocks. (The Gen5 Glock trigger is worse than the previous versions, have no idea why people think it's better.) The M&P was always, a decent gun to me, but never liked the ridiculous take up of the stock triggers. I measured one it was on honest 0.4". Like seriously, WTF? Tried an Apex and there's been no going back. Only other trigger that is as good is the Walther PDP pro.

B
BRSnow Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Just go shoot it. Odds are that you don't need to do a single thing to the gun. Shoot, clean, rinse, repeat.

I know many folks like to tinker with stuff, but a great deal of the time, there is nothing to really gain, and quite often when it comes to firearms people start adding/swapping parts and it compromises the reliability of the guns. I cannot even begin to put a number on the amount of Glocks I saw come across my bench when I was at various U.S. Embassy outposts that had some sort of issue. Magically as soon as I tore them down and took out the aftermarket crap someone had put in there to "improve" them, and returned them to stock condition, they ran perfectly. Of course I almost always got the same answer; "It was like that when I got it/it was issued to me like that". crazy

Anyways, go shoot the gun for at least 3-4 range trips and get 6-800 rounds through it. Then determine if you really need to do anything, other than buy more ammo and improve your skill sets.

Thanks, sounds like a plan.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BRSnow
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Thanks, sounds like a plan.

That's what I told you. Just shoot the SOB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.