Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SCgman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Inertia vs mechanical.......do you have a preference and why?

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No. So long as the pull is crisp and relatively light. I like 3 1/2 to 4#.

Some put a lot of weight into their argument that a mechanical trigger lets you have another useful shot in the field in case the first is a dud. I can’t recall that ever being a factor, and I’ve done a lot of bird hunting.

Seems the greatest argument for mechanical triggers is made by folks who shoot multi-gauge sets.

Good triggers can be had in both persuasions, bad ones too. And beware of anyone’s advice on shotguns and shotgunning who says good triggers don’t matter.

Last edited by GF1; 01/10/24.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I suppose I would prefer mechanical triggers while hunting if there were dangerous game nearby, but I have never experienced problems with either type of trigger while hunting.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Inertials for me. Sometimes have to mess with them to work with .410 tubes.

Trouble with mechanicals is fan-fire (bump-fire) risk. Some people cannot shoot a Win 21 without it "doubling". Happily, I'm not one of those.

As nice as K-gun triggers are, some guys have the same problem with them.

I have no intention of buying, let alone using, a DGR double. But it would have double triggers.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My own fault, but years ago I thought I had to have a Browning Superposed, and without studying the options...I ended up with a single trigger mechanical...in order to fire the second barrel you have to move the safety/barrel selector in a U pattern...back, side shift, forward...if you don't shoot the gun frequently, or drill with it a few times before using it, it frustrating and seemingly takes forever when birds are flushing.
Browning in those days offered a bewildering array of options, and in my haste to buy...I chose the wrong one for any practical hunting situation.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mechanical.
been around for decades.
work just fine.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My own fault, but years ago I thought I had to have a Browning Superposed, and without studying the options...I ended up with a single trigger mechanical...in order to fire the second barrel you have to move the safety/barrel selector in a U pattern...back, side shift, forward...if you don't shoot the gun frequently, or drill with it a few times before using it, it frustrating and seemingly takes forever when birds are flushing.
Browning in those days offered a bewildering array of options, and in my haste to buy...I chose the wrong one for any practical hunting situation.

Is this when dry firing or when you actually shoot the first barrel? When dry fairing you have to bump the stock to set the second barrel. If the second situation then something....most likely the inertia block is not working correctly. Call Arts gun shop or Browning.

Last edited by battue; 01/10/24.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have both and as stated above, if they are crisp and clean, don't know that I care. If I had to pick one, I guess I would go for mechanical just because if something happened to the shell (say it did not fire) you could still have a shot with the other barrel.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I’m a little puzzled by this. All properly operating Browning Superposed single triggers, whether they be inertia or mechanical fire the second shot by simply pulling the trigger again.

In the case of an inertia trigger that either balks (fails to switch to the second barrel or in case of a dud (no recoil) on the first shot, all the shooter needs to do is pull the safety back to safe and push it forward again and it will fire the second barrel. You should never have to move the safety/barrel selector manually to the second barrel.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hmm, Thanks Battue and GF...I think you just woke me up...I may have two things going on here, most likely my reloads are too light for the inertia mechanism...or...lack of cleanliness, gummy oil restricting free movement of the weight.

Last edited by flintlocke; 01/10/24.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I had both in my dble barrels, the only advantage I can see for mechanical is if the flush is a bit far you can reach back for the full choke trigger.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mechanical is a single trigger. It switches to the other barrel when the first trigger is pulled, mechanically, does not need recoil to do this. You are referring to double triggers, completely different.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mechanical for me. I have seen some problems with inertia triggers, particularly in sub-gauge guns with light loads in the hands of shooting pals on clays. I’ve also seen some examples pf doubling, the worst in a B27 (IIRC) back in the 80s when they were being sold as a poor-mans Browning. My cousin bought one, and it doubled on him frequently; very painful! Another friend had it happen a few weeks ago at clays with some gun he had inherited, and that one is off for repairs.

As far as “fanning” goes, I didn’t know the term, but I’ve done it myself, did it today in fact, just eagerness on the second bird. Did it a time or two with an A5 as well.

Another advantage of the mechanical is that if you have a misfire, or forget to move the selector when shooting a single, you merely have to pull the trigger again to fire. Unfortunately, I haven’t trained myself to do that yet; seems I’m an old dog….

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,055
Posts18,482,315
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.