Campfire Tracker
V
Not for long.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have a number of liberal associates. I have no liberal friends.

There is no such thing as liberal friends.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The operative word in the OP's question is "HAD". 50 years ago I (in college) I had a few, but now I try like the devil to stay as far away as possible from liberals. I really do try to listen to opposing political viewpoints and try to engage in viable discussions with them. When they start talking loud and fast and drown out my responses, discussion is over. I won't change their mind and they darn sure won't change mine. When my bride and I were married, she had fairly liberal politics. Over the years, though, she has become much, much more conservative . . . working in the real world has/had opened her eyes wide open. There is a big difference between being empathetic and being liberal.

IIRC - Winston Churchill said "If you are 20 and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you are 40 and not a conservative, you have no brain." That is becoming more and more evident nowadays.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, and don't intend to.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My wife had some ideas supporting gun control because she had been held up at gun point before we started dating. Some training and range trips flipped the script and she became pro-gun. Her main complaint 32 years later is she doesn't get enough range time (we both don't).

Last edited by EIB0879; 01/10/24.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP: Have you ever had a Liberal friend ?
How do you define "friend"? When finally starting to mature, I was fortunate to gain some solid observations/understandings about friendship, and became selective about choices of friends. None of the few great people I consider friends espouse or live the values ascribed to political/social liberals. None.

Yes, I have encountered liberals and still do - and have been able to maintain friendly/civil relationships with most of them, even some of the rabid. Among them are some of the most considerate, caring, kind-hearted people ever met.

But, most of those folks are insecure with themselves, and especially with others who are self-secure, and their reactions to that insecurity and indecision dominate their behavior. Senseless reliance upon, and trust in, any aspect of government is only one of the symptoms of that weak self-consideration.

Not in keeping with some others here, I do not modify behavior or control voicing of views/values in efforts to protect the feelings of those who see things otherwise, or to promote relationships. Every individual is responsible for his/her positions/views as well as all of their feelings. Yes, here and there a person with whom I had been friendly has chosen to withdraw and even sever the friendliness. They probably made good decisions in doing so.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A lot of people come to my county, due to outdoor recreation etc, to live out their retirement years...many of them govt workers, retired teachers, academics of one kind or another. I have tried to be a good neighbor over the years, if not outgoing, at least friendly...eventually, sooner or later, they will piss on your shoes. Maybe not so much their politics, which I try to avoid, just the urban mindset, SOMEBODY needs to plow my snow...they love to call the sheriff if anybody does anything that offends them no matter how petty...they call animal control if they think somebodies horses or cows are not fat enough...they raise hell with the power company tree trimmers...they petition the county to pave roads when the county doesn't have any money...you get the picture. Self centered urban idjits.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sure, but we don't sit around and talk politics.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 01/10/24.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Alan c: Not anymore!
FJB
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't take a stand on my conservatism. Won't mention names, but there are many posts on here, that are really no different than what you hear from many liberals. They hate anyone, and criticize others who are not like they are and like they think.

I've always acted toward others, mirroring on how they act toward me. If we can't make it with each other, then our nation is truly lost. I don't have to agree with someone on a lot of subjects, just to be able to get along with someone. We all have common ground with others, and then uncommon ground with other people. Why make it a conflict? That is why I am responsive and mirror how some one acts toward me.

We are all old enough to remember when we use to be able to get along, with someone with different political views than our own. The communist side of the DNCC, has made ALL of these political conflicts exists, and the apathy of the conservative side of society has risen to embrace the same attitude in return. I have maintained for decades, the greatest strength of the DNCC is conservative apathy and laziness. I guess being in business, has taught me, you don't win arguments with a customer. You may prove a point, but you alienate that customer and lose them. Your customer is the one who ends up paying you for what you live upon.

I can easily deal with people we have a common interest with, and avoid going where we don't. One will learn the benefit of walking away or staying, depending on the situation.

The one thing I know, is magnifying our differences with others, accomplish nothing positive. At the most at stake is the entire nation we live within. The world isn't going to be perfect, that is for sure. But we have forgotten how to compromise with those who have different opinions than we do. And it is both political view points that have put our nation at odds with the other sides. Both political parties are guilty of it. In the long run, what it hurts the most, is our nation. Back to my saying, you never win an argument with a customer.. you may prove a point, but you alienate your customer. We all need each other whether we like it or not.

I've got liberal democRAT family members I don't see often. Political views matter much more to them, than it use to.
But i thought it interesting, that... When another family member pointed out, the ones that vote democRAT, because they have spent a life time in the Unions..... when they are NOT told how to vote by the DNCC, then they are normally more conservative on a subject than many conservatives will be. Sure enough true.

At odds with other Americans, and refusing the ideas of compromise, to prove a point no matter what the subject is, gains our nation nothing but chaos, which tears down the ideals that built our nation and with what we grew up with. Both sides are just as guilty as the other. If I am in a situation, where there is no middle ground, I learned to just walk away, be it political or business.

There are A Holes on both sides of the political spectrum, be it in politics or on the street. And those ideals, are tearing this nation apart more and more every day. We all are killing our nation from within, regardless of our political beliefs.

Flame away if you feel the need to...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
We have a couple that we're friends with. Just never go to politics and we get along fine. The one thing I notice is that they seem to have a lot of guilt. Be it white guilt or just in a better financial place than some others guilt. They just don't seem to have the ability to look at the world objectively and see reality.

A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
A good read! A lot of effort put into this.

A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Being a guy that is a conservative, I’ve had a handful of liberal friends. I do home improvements for a living so I have to keep some of my thoughts to myself. Anyhow, I knew a women who I did work for on occasion and she was an extreme liberal and even had the bumper sticker to go with it. I knew her for about 45 years. She passed a few years ago. When I worked for her, I had the key to her house, always had food in the refer for me and was always invited to Thanksgiving dinner and others. I never wore my NRA hat around her as she hated them. We never talked politics. She never spent any money on herself, worked all her life in Banking. One of the best people I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing. Her name was Rose. Have a few friends that are Dems but I just dont relate to them well, but I understood Rose. That’s all, Alan

I knew an older lady named Rose that worked in banking in Nor Cal.
Hey Sal, was it Amador county?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have any friends, liberal or otherwise. I've outlived every damn one of them. I haven't figured out if that's good or bad.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I don't have any friends, liberal or otherwise. I've outlived every damn one of them. I haven't figured out if that's good or bad.
PJ
My grandmother lived to 97. All her friends and relatives of her generation were dead. She said it was really boring and lonely

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have lots of friends... both liberal and conservative.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve known quite a few, but there’s just too much distance between my values and their values to become friends.

Life’s way too short to deal with imbeciles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had one, about 20 years ago I figured out he was a lib and stopped associating with him, f-cker was always whining about Bush.
None since.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i stay away from liberals ,they lie to make themselves feel truthful

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I was Wrangling horses I worked with a guy from NYC.
He came to the ranch down on his luck.
He was a city boy that never heard a discenting voice from the liberal narrative.
He didn't know Jack about horses.
He turned out to be just a great guy.
A big heart, compassion and understanding of different points of view..quite unlike most of today's liberals.
I showed him my trophy room one afternoon and almost wrapped his pants.
So foreign to his way of thinking.
We had an incredible team at the ranch for a while.
He left for back East after a few years.
Yes.
Politics control everything in your life.
Ony a fool would think differently.
In only few exceptions, I can sit and break bread with the cult that wants to destroy everything that I believe in.
Some of you have kicked me around for being a Californian.
Guys in Red states.
You can't even comprehend the anger and hatred I have for these idiots.
It's a lot stronger than yours because they directly affect my life on a daily basis.
In Red State world it's like a fly on your arm.
In my world it's like Great White Shark taking a chunk out of your body.

I can't remember where I read it but nobody ever asked a soldier in the heat of battle or a firefighter or cop dragging your limp, wounded body to safety if they were a liberal or a conservative.

Yes, I'm strong in my beliefs.
Only a few can overcome my prejudices.
Keith did.
Good guy.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,591
Posts18,511,213
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.