Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I want to restock my father’s early production Weatherby Vanguard 3006 and use it for hunting to preserve the pristine original stock. I’ve see that most stock options reference Howa 1500 as the stock for a Vanguard. Does this apply to a 1970 production Vanguard?

I am looking at a HS Precision stock for and wanted to check before ordering one.

South Carolina ladders, tripods, and climbers are not kind to nice walnut stock!

Thanks for your feedback!

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the B&C Weatherby style stock better than the HSP.

I also like the current production Vanguard2 Griptonite stocks and think that it is the best injection molded stock that any manufacture is currently putting their barreled actions into.

Howa 1500 actions are the same as the Vanguards, only the stocks and barrels are different. Current production V2 sporters have heavier contour barrels than current production Howa 1500 sporters chambered for the same cartridges.

The most recent stock that I bought for a Howa 1500 or a V2 is one of the Stocky's carbon fiber 2nds. It cost around $300 and is very light and exponentially better than the Hogue stock that came with the rifle. The flaw in my stock is a wrinkle in the pistol grip that can be seen, but not felt, purely cosmetic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your best bet is to call Stocky's or HS and ask them, they both have decent customer service. I replaced my Vanguard SUB MOA with Stocky's ultralight (23 oz) stock for $245.00 and it only needed a little sanding to fit.

240NMC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Got this reply from Weatherby yesterday. My rifle was produced in 1970 so let the inletting begin as soon as I get a stock! Thanks for your feedback…

From Weatherby:

Thank you for contacting Weatherby. We cannot guarantee that the HS Precision stock will be a drop in fit on your early Model Vanguard. These rifles were made by Howa in Japan and are still to this day. The early model Vanguards will have the bolt release in a different position than current models. The location of the bolt release will require inletting to get the best fit. I hope this information helps.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe look on eBay for a synthetic Weathetby or Howa stock. Of course, it all depends on what you'd like to end up with.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I prefer the B&C stock for a Howa.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd purchase a Vanguard stock from Weatherby. I put one of those on a Howa short action.
I personally think the Vanguard is the best fitting stock I've ever used on ANY rifle...at least for me.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'd purchase a Vanguard stock from Weatherby. I put one of those on a Howa short action.
I personally think the Vanguard is the best fitting stock I've ever used on ANY rifle...at least for me.

Yup. They’re no thing of beauty, but the Griptonite stock fits me very well and is very stiff where it counts. They look almist identical to the one without the grip panels, but seem much smoother and the slightly rubbery panels work as intended. I paid about $150 for the last one I bought.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If weight is a priority, peak 44 beats about everything else. If cost is a priority BC or HS stocks are where you should be looking. Another option would be a laminate stock from stockys. They are about as tough as you come but heavy. Or just to takeoff, Weatherby vanguard stock would fit just fine too, as it has been mentioned above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't Mossberg market a 1500 that was the same rifle? Same for S&W?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3 Weatherby Vanguards.

I bought my first one, a .300 Wby, in 2009. Before I ever shot it, I had a local gunsmith install a KDF brake on it, and I took off the factory wood stock and replaced it with a Richards AA Fancy Claro Walnut that I pillar and glass bedded and hand checkered in my favorite 5 panel pattern.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I then bought my other 2 Vanguards, one in .223 and the other in .308 Win, both with Griptonite stocks. I pillar and glass bedded both of them and lengthened their LOP to 14", then painted them with a spider web top.

I liked the Griptonite stocks that I bought 2 more off Facebook, E-bay, or Gunbroker and finished one (pillar and glass bedded, lengthened LOP, and painted with spider web) for a foul weather stock for my .300 Wby.

I then altered my other Griptonite stock to fit my Rem 700 7mm RM with the same modifications as I did to my other Griptonite stocks.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.