Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I see recipes online but most have way too much sugar, corn syrup etc. , so ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
High calorie per pound means high fat content. For me, trail mix still is hard to beat. Mine has nuts, dried fruits and chocolates. I use peanuts, cashews and pecans as the base. Dried cherries are the secret to great mix. M&M’s or dark chocolate are added sparingly. It’s not pemmican, but it carries easily and can sustain a man for days.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use 40% oats and a 60% mix of almonds and sunflower seeds.
I roast everything, add some honey, a few sultanas, two-three egg whites and a pinch of salt, compress everything into a glass tupperware, and oven it for a while to dehydrate so it solidifies.
Cut it in brickets of the proper size and there you go.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
WMR, I agree trail mix is hard to beat.

chamois, thx, I had forgotten about sunflower seeds, got Sultanas on the list.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Landjaeger sausage, I have it made up out of venison, and like to have a couple in my pack at all times. I have kept the same landjaeger in my pack for weeks at a time, it lasts for a long time, I dont remember it ever going bad, super high energy and next to Pemmican, incredible stuff.

I dont make it myself, although you can easy enough...you gotta have a good set of chompers.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My problem with a lot of them is they make me too thirsty. Water is heavy to carry and if I eat to much dehydrated stuff I get thirsty and burn through water. Landjaegers are a favorite if not too spicy.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

Thanks - plugged it into my amazon order.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been experimenting on variations of Logan Bread. I keep it in the freezer in small packages and pull whatever I need for the day etc. I also make my own trail mix, standouts being: macadamia nuts, dark chocolate chips, pretzel bites, pumpkin seeds or pepitas, dried cherries, date pieces.

https://getoutdoorspnw.com/diy/the-best-trail-snack-logan-bread-recipe/

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
tkinak,

Saved to favs. that looks good. Going to shop for ingredients tomorrow..

Posted by Bristoe
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Costco pepperoni sticks, string cheese, flour tortillas, hot sauce in a pillow case in the tool box. Lasted 7 weeks doing summer exploration work in Nevada.

IC B3

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Epishemore
Costco pepperoni sticks, string cheese, flour tortillas, hot sauce in a pillow case in the tool box. Lasted 7 weeks doing summer exploration work in Nevada.

I'd need a family size bottle of Tums . . .
----------------------------------------------------

I did a test run I stuck with things I like the taste of.

1 brownie mix box w/walnuts.
+ about 3/4 cup of coconut flour
1/2 cup Carnation dried milk
1/2 cup sunflower seeds [pits]
1 cup pecans
1 cup shredded coconut
3 large eggs
3/4 cup olive oil
forgot to buy Raisens

It crumbles easily, what can I add to make it firm and more 'saturated' without adding a lot of sweet like honey ?

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Also a small amount of Almonds.

Posted by Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WMR
High calorie per pound means high fat content. For me, trail mix still is hard to beat. Mine has nuts, dried fruits and chocolates. I use peanuts, cashews and pecans as the base. Dried cherries are the secret to great mix. M&M’s or dark chocolate are added sparingly. It’s not pemmican, but it carries easily and can sustain a man for days.

Sounds like my mix except for the peanuts. Throw in some homemade jerky and you're gtg.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Epishemore

I'd need a family size bottle of Tums . . .
----------------------------------------------------

I did a test run I stuck with things I like the taste of.

1 brownie mix box w/walnuts.
+ about 3/4 cup of coconut flour
1/2 cup Carnation dried milk
1/2 cup sunflower seeds [pits]
1 cup pecans
1 cup shredded coconut
3 large eggs
3/4 cup olive oil
forgot to buy Raisens

It crumbles easily, what can I add to make it firm and more 'saturated' without adding a lot of sweet like honey ?

Some thoughts. Some baking or whole wheat flour may help, almond or peanut butter? You could be short on liquid, apple sauce is recommended in some Logan bread recipes. Rolled oats? Keep trying!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Google Patrick Smith's wild casserole. I make a big batch almost every week, what doesn't get eaten gets dehydrated and I throw it in the freezer until needed. A little boiling water over top makes a pretty solid meal, lots of vegetables, a little meat, I skip the couscous and it holds up fine without it.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
TK,
No I used quick oats, I'll get some rolled/old fashion oats today.
Saw a good sounding banana/oats/nuts i'm going to try out.
Thanks...

Biathlonman, I'll look it up - thx !!

Posted by Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I went on a Colorado elk hunt one year with a buddy of mine. We took a bit of “normal” camp food, but my mainstay for most of the trip was Moose Goo. I don’t remember the exact recipe but it is a mixture of peanut butter, corn flour and honey. I spread this on a couple of dozen large flour tortillas and rolled them up into a burrito. Premade at home and stored in large ziplock bags, it worked pretty well. I didn’t have to spend much time preparing meals and could eat on the move if I wanted to.
Moose Goo burritos and lots of water can keep you going for quite awhile but sure gets tiresome eating that several times a day for several days.
Not sure I’d do that again but for a day or two or as an emergency ration, it is a pretty good combo. And it is pretty shelf stable as well.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am glad I saw this thread and remembered this trip. I hadn’t thought about that in a long while. A great memory from a long time ago.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd need a lot of fiber along with that recipe.

I've lived on Cliff Bars and Trail Mix for weekend hunts, I can't do that any more.

Posted by Bristoe
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Carisen's dried cranberry's
Regular
Cherry juice infused
Blueberry juice infused
Along with....
Almonds
Rolled Oats
Honey
Brown Suger
Sunflower seeds

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.