Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have freezer and fridge in garage and i got rid of the gfci soon as inspector got in his car, told him i was doing it. The arc faults suck aswell .

Be reasonable. Do it my way!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The surge from compressor start will trip a GFCI. Perhaps not every time. Likely only when you have a house sitter.

Replace the GFCI. Reinstall it if you sell.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what the last couple code cycles came up with, but at one time it was permissible to have dedicated circuits with a single receptacle for just this type of equipment. All general use receptacles were supposed to be on GFCI , though.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I'm not putting my freezer on a gfi especially in a garage its a good way to loose a lot of food if it pops and you are unaware of it for a few days.

The code requires the GFI for the garage, because it is a concrete floor. If you have a non-GFI, and there is a short in the freezer, and you are out there barefoot, you could get electrocuted. This happened to the little 5 year old daughter of my Little League baseball coach. I was a pall bearer.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It was common to put a single outlet on a dedicated breaker to run one appliance.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Great idea. I will have to look. I wonder why it was put in with only 1 outlet? Will 15 amps be enough. 20?

It was common to put a single outlet on a dedicated breaker to run one appliance.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can I put a dual outlet in its place and run 2 freezers? Amp draw is 5 amps and I guess double that at compressor start up.

Worst case if they both kick up at the sane time is 20 amps?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The panel has the GFI breaker switch. The existing freezer is on a dedicated non GFI breaker, I thought but it is not labeled. It must not be attached to other outlets. Might have to go down the line in each box until I find it.

I may just replace the outlet with a 2 receptacle unit but don’t know the amps until I find the breaker.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
The surge from compressor start will trip a GFCI. Perhaps not every time. Likely only when you have a house sitter.

Replace the GFCI. Reinstall it if you sell.

This happened to me many years ago. Fortunately, it was a beer fridge so no harm. Swapped out the GFI and no more problems.

Get one of these - Usage Monitor

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
The panel has the GFI breaker switch. The existing freezer is on a dedicated non GFI breaker, I thought but it is not labeled. It must not be attached to other outlets. Might have to go down the line in each box until I find it.

I may just replace the outlet with a 2 receptacle unit but don’t know the amps until I find the breaker.

That would work lol

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can I put a dual outlet in its place and run 2 freezers? Amp draw is 5 amps and I guess double that at compressor start up.

Worst case if they both kick up at the sane time is 20 amps?

If you can't see the answer in the very question you've asked here, you should hire a electrician.

It's just two freezers full of frozen meat, what could possibly go wrong.

It'd probably only happen on a hot summer day anyway...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, probably not a very good solution.

I think I will buy a non GFI breaker and replace the GFI breaker in the box using the same amps.

I will then replace each outlet with a GFI outlet EXCEPT the one that I am plugging the new freezer in.

Does this sound like the correct approach?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The correct approach in my opinion would be to hire an electrician that will likely make sure a dedicated circuit goes to each freezer.

There is more than one diy approach.

I think JeffA might have meant "If you can't see"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Being unsure of how to wire a residence makes paying for a professional a good investment.

Worse case is loss of life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Power outage of any length will likely cause both freezers to start at the same time. This could lead to 100% load.

They used single outlet recepticle because it is a dedicated freezer circuit. Dedicated freezer circuit does not mean you get to plug in all the freezers in the house.

Battery back-up alarm could easily and very cheaply save your bacon.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

That would work lol

REAL hard on the receptacles, though! When labeling panels by myself, I used to use a radio - turned up loud!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RMiller2
I think JeffA might have meant "If you can't see"

Zacktly, thanks

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you leave on a GFI circuit, I suggest you get a battery operated temperature alarm for the freezer. I learned this the hard way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, probably not a very good solution.

I think I will buy a non GFI breaker and replace the GFI breaker in the box using the same amps.

I will then replace each outlet with a GFI outlet EXCEPT the one that I am plugging the new freezer in.

Does this sound like the correct approach?

If what you are describing means each freezer will be on a separate circuit breaker, yes.

I haven't really followed you word by word but what I want to think is you have one, potentially dedicated, single receptacle, with it's own breaker in the area you intend to place this new freezer?

It is already being used to run your old freezer?

You also have a branched circuit in the area that has multiple receptacles and its protected by its own GFCI breaker?

IF that IS what you have, you're good to go.

One freezer on each circut breaker.

If you choose to change out to a standard breaker, so be it, we lived for years without ground fault protection, hell, we lived without a ground at all for sometime.

That's on you..

If you were to breakout the code book you'd find a arc fault receptacle is required today.

A dedicated circut for a appliance with a electric motor is highly recommended but not required by code, but that doesn't give you a green flag to attempt to run 2 major appliances on a single circuit.

I'm sure many do this successfully and would argue the point.

The list of 'why nots' is much more meaningful than the list of 'but I got by with its'.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can I just use a multi outlet plugged into the non GFI freezer outlet?

That's what I would do.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,077
Posts18,482,727
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.