Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
How successfully can you interchange powders? If you want to use a powder but don't have it and can't get it, can you use another that is close on the powder burn rate chart?
Living in Fairbanks, Ak. I don't have good access to variety. I'm light on the slower powders.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Back when H4350 became non existing I was still shooting PRS matches. I tried IMR 4451 and although I knew better than to consider a different powder truly interchangeable, I was able to easily duplicate my H4350 load VERY closely (speed, trajectory, accuracy).

Always work up a new/different component.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by martentrapper
How successfully can you interchange powders? If you want to use a powder but don't have it and can't get it, can you use another that is close on the powder burn rate chart?
Living in Fairbanks, Ak. I don't have good access to variety. I'm light on the slower powders.
I'm not thrashing you...but your question is very general...and when it comes to subbing powders...it needs to be very specific...plus nobody knows what cartridges you are loading for or how close to the max pressure you operate. Nobody can tell you what kind of flour to use if they don't know what kind of bread you are baking.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I suspect most folks here are familiar with swapping powders in a pinch. As you mentioned a current powder burn rate chart is handy.
Also, load data from a couple of sources both printed or otherwise for the cartridge / bullet combo in question.

Finally, a dash of common sense for insuring self-preservation is always advisable.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I'm not thrashing you...but your question is very general...and when it comes to subbing powders...it needs to be very specific...plus nobody knows what cartridges you are loading for or how close to the max pressure you operate. Nobody can tell you what kind of flour to use if they don't know what kind of bread you are baking.

Good post, but lets say I'm making bread with old H4831, I'm still not going to substitute H4831SC. And those are both called H4831... Like Feral American said, always work up, when you switch components. That goes for any components. Even powders that are named the same. Same goes for 7828 and 7828SSC. Does the Op not have a load manual or 5? Like the rest of us? Online data is also pretty easy to find, for most bullet manufactures. Most, but not all. Most are also free, and you can print out the data. Nosler and Barnes come to mind there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think to avoid needing to ask such a question the wise reloader keeps a large quantity of a favorite powder on hand just in case, or, tests out several different powders to achieve the same performance just in case....or......both of the above, just in case.

Although I'm far from the wisest I tend to be one that buys up a good stock pile and only rarely get caught coming up short.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
OK, I'll get more specific. My current work is on a 160 partition in 270 win. looking to get 2800 at the muzzle. On another thread in this forum, Seafire recommended H4831SC. I don't have that and it's unlikely I will get it anytime soon. I do currently have IMR 4831. The hodgen reloading data site has loads for the 160 and even for IMR4831. Noslers reloading info has the IMR also, but at a noticeably larger number of grains. I have loaded some reduced loads for the 160 in 270 based on the nosler info but haven't fired them yet. Nosler says I can get the 2800 with either IMR 4831 or RL 22.
I am working on someone to check a store where he lives for powder and my wife will be in Anchorage this weekend. Will be hoping one or both of them find something useful.
The various powder burn rate charts show powders near the SC speed. I'm assuming that a similar speed powder may not act the same in the case. So I'm asking the other experienced guys here! Have 2 manuals and 3 internet devices to use web based info!!

ALSO HAVE A MAGNETOSPEED!

Last edited by martentrapper; 01/11/24.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd work up that IMR4831 since you have it. I used that powder back when I had a 270 but never went above 140 grain bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, I'll get more specific. My current work is on a 160 partition in 270 win. looking to get 2800 at the muzzle. On another thread in this forum, Seafire recommended H4831SC. I don't have that and it's unlikely I will get it anytime soon. I do currently have IMR 4831. The hodgen reloading data site has loads for the 160 and even for IMR4831. Noslers reloading info has the IMR also, but at a noticeably larger number of grains. I have loaded some reduced loads for the 160 in 270 based on the nosler info but haven't fired them yet. Nosler says I can get the 2800 with either IMR 4831 or RL 22.
I am working on someone to check a store where he lives for powder and my wife will be in Anchorage this weekend. Will be hoping one or both of them find something useful.
The various powder burn rate charts show powders near the SC speed. I'm assuming that a similar speed powder may not act the same in the case. So I'm asking the other experienced guys here! Have 2 manuals and 3 internet devices to use web based info!!
You didn't say whether or not you were working with a chronograph. I have subbed powders and interpolated load data many times when components or data was unavailable but always with a chronograph.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ofcourse you can...these days I do for all my rifles...but work up loads with each powder. I utilize three/four different brands with simular burn rates.. Nice to have a backup plan.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As a smarter reloader ( yeah right).. I make sure I have lots of experiences with a fair number of powders, in each caliber that I shoot quite often.

that is just planning ahead.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 17 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,867
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.