Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by colorado
Thanks I just bought a very minty 1968 vintage BDL in 7mm Rem Magnum. It's the same year I bought my BDL in 270 that I hunted with for forty years and gave to my youngest son. I plan to have my gunsmith put a Decelerator Pad on it, remove the iron sights, put a Leupold 3.5-10x50mm scope I just bought on it with Talley rings and have him adjust the trigger to 2 3/4 lbs. My hope is that my son wants to trade my 270 back which I will do in a minute lol! If not this will definitely work for me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think the this vintage 700 has a lower height rear receiver ring than newer ones. Check into this.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SMACK
I just did a bunch of research when it comes to serial numbers and Barrel codes concerning the Remington 700.

I have a SUPER CLEAN Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle chambered in .280 Remington. It doesn’t have 50 rounds on it. I will post a picture bellow of the “C” Prefix serial number and barrel code.

Best I can tell. It was manufactured in March of 1990.i could be wrong but that is the reason for my post. What’s throwing me off is the double “K” code on the barrel after the “A” month of manufacture (March).

Now my next dilemma. I have entertained the idea of running a .280 AI reamer into it. Pillar , bedding and free footing it.

Then again part of me screams “Don’t do that to a super clean, all factory .280 Mountain Rifle”.

Yeah don't do that, leave it! I can't see the pic very well, but it looks like a 1990, I'd have to see the numbers and where they are clearly, but could simply be the double K is for May of 1990 too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by Exchipy
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks I just bought a very minty 1968 vintage BDL in 7mm Rem Magnum. It's the same year I bought my BDL in 270 that I hunted with for forty years and gave to my youngest son. I plan to have my gunsmith put a Decelerator Pad on it, remove the iron sights, put a Leupold 3.5-10x50mm scope I just bought on it with Talley rings and have him adjust the trigger to 2 3/4 lbs. My hope is that my son wants to trade my 270 back which I will do in a minute lol! If not this will definitely work for me.

That's not a 1968 unless someone put a newer stock on it, I'd have to see the barrel numbers for the year. Remington started putting that stock on the BDL's in the mid 70s and ran through at least the 90s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just did a bunch of research when it comes to serial numbers and Barrel codes concerning the Remington 700.

I have a SUPER CLEAN Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle chambered in .280 Remington. It doesn’t have 50 rounds on it. I will post a picture bellow of the “C” Prefix serial number and barrel code.

Best I can tell. It was manufactured in March of 1990.i could be wrong but that is the reason for my post. What’s throwing me off is the double “K” code on the barrel after the “A” month of manufacture (March).

Now my next dilemma. I have entertained the idea of running a .280 AI reamer into it. Pillar , bedding and free footing it.

Then again part of me screams “Don’t do that to a super clean, all factory .280 Mountain Rifle”.

Well, I guess it really depends on what you want to get out of the rifle as to whether you change it or leave it stock.

I've had a couple of MR's both in 280, still have one that I've done some work to & restocked into a B&C Mountain stock (w/o the current bedding block) & cerrokoted with the bolt fluted & lightened. If I could ever find a KS stock, I'd drop it in that as that is my favorite stock design.

I don't think that they are really anything special as they come..............some features I like, some not so much, compared to what they could have done. Like opening the grip more & slimmer, ala KS, & putting fleur de lis checkering, & skeletonizing the bolt handle.

Here are some pics of mine below & some 3 shot group targets during load development, FYI. As it sits, with scope & Tally lightweights, it weighs 6 lb, 10 oz.

I'd be willing to bet it would bring far more than the original would if I cared to sell it.

I've found in doing a few of these lightweight Remington's like this & the Ti versions, that they shoot best with the action properly bedded with the barrel floated; then in a secondary bedding, I added a neutral / no real pressure, pad near the end of the stock..............but I will usually shoot it as floated 1st in case I get lucky; if so, I'm done, if not, I go to step 2 above. Floated does not always work with these barrels. But many stock guns come with too much barrel pressure.

As to AI'ing it, MEH, kinda personal preference. The brass being available makes life easier if you go that route, but at a cost. Personally, I don't think the gain is worth it.............but it makes a great round either way.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn nice rifle MM. My Mountain DM still sits in the original stock, but I've had it bedded and a trigger dropped in. It loves the 150 BT, 154 Interlock SP & RN, and the 160 TBT to name a few.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Well, I guess it really depends on what you want to get out of the rifle as to whether you change it or leave it stock.

I've had a couple of MR's both in 280, still have one that I've done some work to & restocked into a B&C Mountain stock (w/o the current bedding block) & cerrokoted with the bolt fluted & lightened. If I could ever find a KS stock, I'd drop it in that as that is my favorite stock design.

I don't think that they are really anything special as they come..............some features I like, some not so much, compared to what they could have done. Like opening the grip more & slimmer, ala KS, & putting fleur de lis checkering, & skeletonizing the bolt handle.

Here are some pics of mine below & some 3 shot group targets during load development, FYI. As it sits, with scope & Tally lightweights, it weighs 6 lb, 10 oz.

I'd be willing to bet it would bring far more than the original would if I cared to sell it.

I've found in doing a few of these lightweight Remington's like this & the Ti versions, that they shoot best with the action properly bedded with the barrel floated; then in a secondary bedding, I added a neutral / no real pressure, pad near the end of the stock..............but I will usually shoot it as floated 1st in case I get lucky; if so, I'm done, if not, I go to step 2 above. Floated does not always work with these barrels. But many stock guns come with too much barrel pressure.

As to AI'ing it, MEH, kinda personal preference. The brass being available makes life easier if you go that route, but at a cost. Personally, I don't think the gain is worth it.............but it makes a great round either way.

MM

That looks awesome! I'd hunt that!

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I am new to the ‘Fire but i too have a .280 Rem Mtn rifle…… this is my second one actually. I was an idiot and sold the 1st one to a good bud……
He is smarter than i am and will not sell it back!
It shot great just the way it was.
Fast forward 20 years and i stumbled on another one that shoots even better! I briefly considered running a .280 AI reamer into its chamber, but i didn’t and am glad for that.
FWIW- i would leave it be and go shoot it as is…..
It may shoot just fine.
I’ve had 2 other Rem 700 Mtn rifles as well….
A .30-06 and a .243. All 4 were sub min rifles
with good handloads. My current .280 will routinely do much better. Congratulations! I hope it serves you well! My only gripe was the trigger, but a Timney solved that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He put it up for sale in the classifieds.

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
If it was me I’d put the walnut stock in a safe place and find a lightweight aftermarket stock.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
He put it up for sale in the classifieds.

MM
Well….that settles that….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by M1Garand
That's not a 1968 unless someone put a newer stock on it, I'd have to see the barrel numbers for the year. Remington started putting that stock on the BDL's in the mid 70s and ran through at least the 90s.

Correct. Rem 700 stocks in the late 60's had pressed Fluer-de-lis checkering

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I had one of each, I sold the 280 Rem, and kept the Kimber AI. Accuracy is phenomenal with my most recent 300 yard grouping under a dime. Its a gem to carry and its been great on elk.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would not make and AI out of it. I have one like it and its great. Keep it as it is. If you want to make an AI, find a Tikka 7mm-08 and rechamber it. For $300 in smith work you will have a lighter, well built, great shooting 280ai and a minty Mountain Rifle in a Standard .280

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

724 members (160user, 12344mag, 16gage, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,843
Posts18,478,259
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.