Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I will be in s. tx. hunting after Christmas through the first week of Jan. and intend to find out how these 62 tsx/AR comp loads perform on deer and will report back when I return. I will probably also rid myself of a few of those bergers on some coyotes and a javalina or two.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cullbuck
I will be in s. tx. hunting after Christmas through the first week of Jan. and intend to find out how these 62 tsx/AR comp loads perform on deer and will report back when I return. I will probably also rid myself of a few of those bergers on some coyotes and a javalina or two.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Thanks for keeping us informed buddy. Merry Christmas and happy new year to all as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Howdy bsa,
I tested the 62 gr. tsx/AR Comp loads on 2 cull bucks (so far).
Cull 1 was a 5-6 yr old that weighed right at 200 live weight, the bullet entered just behind shoulder, went through heart and exit was about quarter size just behind shoulder opposite side. Shot was about 80 yrds and on impact the deer reared up and left the sendero on a death run and made it about 70 yrds before piling up leaving decent blood trail. I prefer them not to go that far but these results can be expected when shot behind shoulders not breaking the shoulders.
Cull 2 was a 6-7 yr old that weighed 240 live wt., the bullet entered mid shoulder blade and did not exit. The bullet stopped midway through opposite shoulder(could not be felt from opposite side). The shot was about 170 yrds. and on impact the deer lunged forward and began plowing forward very low in the front end and made it about 30 yrds before piling up. There was no blood at impact site or along his trail (plenty of broken cactus though) but plenty of blood from nose and mouth where he laid.
n=2 is not a very substantial test so I will continue to use/test this load and will use center shoulder as aim point to see if I get exits on others as this was a pretty large deer. I also ordered some 80 gr. Hornady ELD-X bullets to test next year as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cullbuck
Howdy bsa,
I tested the 62 gr. tsx/AR Comp loads on 2 cull bucks (so far).
Cull 1 was a 5-6 yr old that weighed right at 200 live weight, the bullet entered just behind shoulder, went through heart and exit was about quarter size just behind shoulder opposite side. Shot was about 80 yrds and on impact the deer reared up and left the sendero on a death run and made it about 70 yrds before piling up leaving decent blood trail. I prefer them not to go that far but these results can be expected when shot behind shoulders not breaking the shoulders.
Cull 2 was a 6-7 yr old that weighed 240 live wt., the bullet entered mid shoulder blade and did not exit. The bullet stopped midway through opposite shoulder(could not be felt from opposite side). The shot was about 170 yrds. and on impact the deer lunged forward and began plowing forward very low in the front end and made it about 30 yrds before piling up. There was no blood at impact site or along his trail (plenty of broken cactus though) but plenty of blood from nose and mouth where he laid.
n=2 is not a very substantial test so I will continue to use/test this load and will use center shoulder as aim point to see if I get exits on others as this was a pretty large deer. I also ordered some 80 gr. Hornady ELD-X bullets to test next year as well.

Awesome info man. I appreciate it!! I'm sure others will appreciate your feedback as well. Hopefully you have a good supply of that AR Comp powder. I'm hanging on to about 7 pounds right now. I've really cut down my AR shooting over the last year, so I have been able to conserve that powder. I love how it works for different cartridges too, like the 22-250. It works exceptionally well for the 53gr V-max loads as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.