Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
While eating lunch, I often watch the Waltons on tv. I enjoy it better at age 64 than when I was young. A lot of lessons in life. If they had better medicine back then , I would say that would have been a good era to have lived in. I would have enjoyed the smaller human population. What about you folks??

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
1940....the next two decades were tops! Then the hippies came along such as what's in charge of the nation today and why it's so f ucked up!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Before antibiotics?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I may have been dead from a heart attack at 55.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in my teens and 20’s I thought it would have been cool to have lived during the longhunter or mountain man eras.

I have enough minor aches and pains and enjoy modern conveniences enough now that in no way would I want to go back to that primitive of living but those are eras in American history that still captivate my imagination.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's fine to think about it.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My dad was born in 1898, life expectancy was age 47 back then. I don't fool myself into thinking I could have beat the numbers. I think, don't quote me, it reached 79 in 2020...the all time high. Between the AMA and big pharma, it's dropping recently.
My great uncle lived near Dawson in the rush, he said the oldest man in his area was in his 60's.
In any case, a trip through an old cemetery, reading headstone dates should be a wakeup to the big talkers who think they would have won the west and lived to talk about it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Alan_C
While eating lunch, I often watch the Waltons on tv. I enjoy it better at age 64 than when I was young. A lot of lessons in life. If they had better medicine back then , I would say that would have been a good era to have lived in. I would have enjoyed the smaller human population. What about you folks??
Well then stick around, You ain’t seen nothin yet

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A person this day and age can still work and plan like those the lessons learned from those eras.

We raise a large garden and can 200-300 mason jars of vegetables.
We cut enough firewood for about a 3 year outward projection.
Cook big meals, spread them around to large extended family. We can do that on a place where grandparents and uncles and cousins reside. They reciprocate.
Sometimes we even participate in a larger family garden for bulk crops needing lots of space like strawberries or greens.
All of our extended family has individual skilsets. We have a licensed plumber, a licensed electrician, we all have experience in building.
Do most of our mechanical repairs.

You don’t have to stay bottled up watching John Wayne movies or sit around making threads about John Wayne movies when ya could get off your dead ass and contribute something to ensure your well being and survival for unforeseen hard times.

Shît if cannot do anything else, start resizing brass, reloading, be skilled in that. Ammo will be heavily restricted one day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wrong time NO!

We live in an interesting time where we get to see the dinosaurs brought back to life on our TV screens, which is pretty cool, great music, and great medicine as examples.

Wrong family YES!

I wish I was born into the Rockefeller, Ford, or Kraft family. Would have been neat to be born into extreme generational wealth, instead of having to work my azz off for it! lol

KB

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes... always wanted a Comanche scalp hangin' from my Lodgepole... but seriously, have to agree with what Slum just said...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absent disease and tooth loss the Frontier in 1730 might be nice (20’s in the F&I War 40’s in the Rev War.

Can’t complain tho, I was raised by the Greatest Generation, enjoyed unparalleled peace and prosperity all my life. Witnessed (on TV) England win the ‘66 World Cup when we were living there, stayed up and watched the ‘69 moon walk.

Young enough to grow up before smart phones.

Hopefully I won’t live long enough to witness America collapse.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Doctor Who's Tardis would be a lot of fun at times.

A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Slum, I admire you! You are like a modern day Walton!! Please take this as a compliment !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nostalgic romanticism for it's own sake.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid I thought so.
I shoulda been a Mountain Man, exploring the Rockies, trapping beaver, living off the land.
But as I got older, I came to realize that I was very blessed.
I grew up in the ‘70s. The Old Man had an auto salvage, and I started wrenching on cars at age 9 or 10.
On top of that, I was born into a hunting family, and deer and small game were plentiful.
I know that my cousins and schoolmates were jealous of me. In their eyes, I had it all.
Now I know that I did!
I grew up in a free country, raised by loving parents, who taught me to know right from wrong, and to believe in Christ.
I had guns to shoot, cars to play with, and plenty of game to hunt, and faith in salvation.
I wouldn’t trade my life for that of a Prince.
There ain’t a day goes by that I don’t thank God!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I was born in 1951 and therefore was a teenager during the 1960's. Muscle cars along with the best music era ever made growing up a fun time. I would not want to be a teenager today.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Happy with what I got

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wrong planet, I think.

This one is getting pretty fugged up……….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little reversal...

How many here think that someone who lived in a previous period, say deceased anytime before 1980, would choose to have been born anytime after 1980 and live their lives now, assuming they were fully aware of what was going to happen from 1980 to the present?

More convenience, better healthcare, less freedom in everything but more security in other things.
vs.
More freedom in just about everything, less convenience and security, fewer people everywhere.

(or whatever other comparisons you want to make)

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 44automag, 8 invisible), 792 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,387
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.