-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Something to consider for those complaining of Ruger actions being rough, one can slick up a Ruger bolt with valve grinding compound on bearing surfaces; just keep it away from the locking lugs.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drop_point
Something to consider for those complaining of Ruger actions being rough, one can slick up a Ruger bolt with valve grinding compound on bearing surfaces; just keep it away from the locking lugs.

It's not the bolt that is rough. It's the inside of the receiver. That can be, and does get, dealt with first thing when I buy a Ruger. It takes a properly fitted tool, some sand paper, and elbow grease and time to work that out though. Have you even had a Ruger 77?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[quote=MontanaMan]There's no smoother feeling action than a pre-64 Win, not even the new Classic versions & surely not a Ruger, though, functionally, both of them work fine.

And as for aesthetics, I'll take either version of the Win's with a slicked up set of Conetrols instead of the ugly azzed Ruger rings.

About the only thing better on a Ruger is the feel of the stock when compared to an old pre-64 or a Classic Sporter, except for the Win FWT Classic (or push feed) which is very nice.

I have a prewar 30gov06, an Pre64 Alaskan in 338 and a standard 270 wcf and my Steyr MS rifles are all smoother. The Prewar is smoother than my Sedgley sporter which is a 03 Springfield action.

Last edited by kaboku68; 01/05/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Winchester doesn't make this little guy. It's stainless, pretty darn smooth, tough as $2 steak, trigger ain't half bad, short, and handy like a mini express rifle. It has irons that show up fast, at the moment an 1-5x Leupold I got for $15 and an Aimpoint 9000.

The upshot is I can throw it anywhere, drag it anywhere, and throw it in the snowbank and it works. It's always setup and ready to roll along with its little 308win scout brother.

Left handed RCM? Pretty cool. I am down to 2 Ruger 77's, and they are both stainless 300 magnums. Both great rifles, but if I had to pick one, it would be the 300 RSAUM. It shoots great, and is sort of compact. Only made it for one year too. Function and accuracy on both 300's are great, but they sure did not come that way from the factory.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's not the bolt that is rough. It's the inside of the receiver. That can be, and does get, dealt with first thing when I buy a Ruger. It takes a properly fitted tool, some sand paper, and elbow grease and time to work that out though. Have you even had a Ruger 77?

I've had em and I can't think of a better "properly fitted tool" than the bolt. You oughta try it whistle

It's the goldilocks of smoothing tools.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Since 1994. It works.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by Igloo
From a mechanical point of view, merits of each action etc....and removing nostalgia, sentimentality and the like, what do you guys who know a lot about both think?

Is one better than the other?
Would posit that the 77 Hawkeye is safer in the event of a gas escape, after reading all the threads I could. and the Winchester's trigger can be cleaned up better. But is there anything being overlooked here?

Why compare just pre-64's to ruger Hawkeyes? What about current model 70's? Ruger hawkeye is simpler rifle than even a pre-64.

Current model 70 vs hawkeyes:

Too easy:
Ruger has an excellent ring system. Rings always included.
No rings included on the winchester

Ruger has a simple one piece open trigger
Winchester has grime-collecting box trigger

One piece bolt on the ruger never fails
Winchester has a cheesy press-fit 2 piece bolt that can fail

Ruger is safer in the event of a ruptured case
Winchester, no protection.

Currently, ruger better equips handy carbines with rugged open sights that are tailored specifically for Alaskan hunting conditions

Winchester does not

Rugers Hawkeyes are made in America
Winchester model 70 production gets passed around all over the place.

When the going gets really harsh.......ruger every time.

He probably wasn't comparing the new BACO (Browning) to the Hawkeye, because as you have outlined, the Browning is a POS..

They really are pieces of sht. Here an m-70 new off the shelf, reviewed by a very competent Alaskan rifleman:

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/threads/new-winchester-model-70-alaskan-30-06-review.2785525/

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/12/24.
T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
FWIW both are good rifles, the most meaningful difference in my opinion, and the opinion of a well respected guide/outfitter is the safety is located on the Winchester's bolt and nearly impossible to accidentally put on safe while operating the bolt under duress while the Ruger's safety is mounted on the action and CAN be bumped to the safe position while operating the bolt with vigor.

Might only matter if being charged by something that wants to hurt you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They are both great and I still own a few of both but have landed on the Win 70 classics to replace both.

The Rugers are great, gas handling is a real improvement, but occasionally the actions are rough almost beyond redemption. A few Rugers I've owned have been smooth out of the box; most need some lapping. One Ruger I still have needed aggressive lapping AND high-tech coating on the bolt (NP3) and action surfaces (Black-T) just to keep the rifle from jamming at the rear of the bolt stroke in fast use. I would be slightly hesitant to buy a Ruger I hadn't handled, or that someone hadn't vouched for. You might be in for some long nights with lapping compound.

The Pre-64 safety (and M70 classic safety) are larger and much easier to use with gloves on. Especially the move from bolt-locked to fire. The Ruger safety is tiny and very close to the bolt shroud in the most rearward position.

In the end they are pretty similar. Where the Ruger really loses to the Winchester is if you want to go with a lightweight aftermarket stock. With the Winchesters you have 3 options for stocks in the 22 ounce range (Bansner, Brown, and MPI). With the Ruger it's just MPI, which is the most difficult of those three companies to deal with.

Because of the stocks available for the Winchesters, it's not that tough to build a 6lb M70 (pre-64 or classic). I have several. The lightest Ruger I have, in a fairly flexible MPI stock, is 6lb 5 ounces. Not a huge diff but the Brown and Bansner stocks are much stiffer. They are also easier to get.

Not that you asked, but as far as gas-handling, the later model Win classics do have somewhat of a gas blocking bolt shroud. Not sure when Winchester switched to that later model bolt shroud (which has two pins holding the safety in vs one pin) but maybe around 2002-2004? It can be retrofitted to the earlier New Haven classics, though.

Rugers are also a little trickier to bed.

Last edited by TX35W; 01/12/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had both. I liked the ergos of the Hawkeye more. Come to think of it I have no real reason why I got rid of that Hawkeye? I liked the look, feel, trigger, and accuracy. It was reasonably light also. Now I'm mad at myself 🤨

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.