Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
When my second wife and I started house keeping we had an infestation of bugs, now I am not sure what kind, but the guys on the Campfire helped us out. We now have 4 golden retrievers and my step daughter is having trouble with tiny ants. For our problem years ago, the guys suggested something in a yellow can made from natural ingredients. Worked like a charm and safe around the dogs. Does anyone know of a natural ant killer that is safe for luse around my dogs? I would appreciate hearing about it also the stuff we used before. I think it began with a B. Many thanks!!

Molon Labe
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Diatomaceous earth maybe?

MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use borax

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Pyrethrin

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I use borax

Mixed with sugar will kill ants but it will also kill dogs.

If you mix it runny it can go down into ant holes.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for the help.

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
You will likely want to keep your dogs out of any product you use. Diatomaceous earth included.
Are they Sugar Ants? Terro is a decent product that will knock the colony back. Daily wipes where they travel with vinegar definitely reduces them too.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Amazon--This stuff slaughters all bugs. Murder on fleas and ticks as well.

Harris Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade, 4lb with Powder Duster Included in The Bag
Visit the HARRIS Store
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 27,053 ratings
7K+ bought in past month
$13.58 with 20 percent savings-20% $13.58
List Price: $16.99List Price: $16.99

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/107-anteater-for-sale.asp

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Anteater For Sale

Though the term “anteater” is often applied to a few types of animals, there are four types of actual anteaters; northern, southern, giant, and silky. Part of a once diverse group of mammals from South America, they are closely related to the sloth, with the armadillo being the second closest in relation. The similarity between anteaters and aardvarks and pangolins is why the second is sometimes called “anteaters” and the third is sometimes called “scaly anteaters.” The giant anteater and the aardvark have the common term of “antbear.”
6 month old Tamandua anteater

Name: Jim Fraser
Posted: 08/11/2023
Phone: 954-658-0108

❗️ Baby tamanduá anteater❗️ ▪️Female. ▪️6 months old. Weaned and ready! ▪️ It's being co- parented. Carrying it around. Handled and everything. Okeechobee FL 34972 ❗️ FL RESIDENTS

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
https://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/107-anteater-for-sale.asp

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Anteater For Sale

Though the term “anteater” is often applied to a few types of animals, there are four types of actual anteaters; northern, southern, giant, and silky. Part of a once diverse group of mammals from South America, they are closely related to the sloth, with the armadillo being the second closest in relation. The similarity between anteaters and aardvarks and pangolins is why the second is sometimes called “anteaters” and the third is sometimes called “scaly anteaters.” The giant anteater and the aardvark have the common term of “antbear.”
6 month old Tamandua anteater

Name: Jim Fraser
Posted: 08/11/2023
Phone: 954-658-0108

❗️ Baby tamanduá anteater❗️ ▪️Female. ▪️6 months old. Weaned and ready! ▪️ It's being co- parented. Carrying it around. Handled and everything. Okeechobee FL 34972 ❗️ FL RESIDENTS
That right there is the go getter model!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
First step is to get the critters properly identified. Then, you can choose products based on what those ants like. Some like sugar baits, some like protein based baits. Some won’t take baits much at all. If it were me, I would buy a product to spray around that contains Fipronil as the active ingredient. It is not a bait though. Many have ants listed on the label and are ok around dogs. Follow all label directions.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by longarm
You will likely want to keep your dogs out of any product you use. Diatomaceous earth included.
Are they Sugar Ants? Terro is a decent product that will knock the colony back. Daily wipes where they travel with vinegar definitely reduces them too.

Bleach works well too. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Som inlaw used to work for a pest control company.
He told me to get Suspend SC.
It s safe around pets and kids once dry. I spray inside and out for spiders mainly. It says for ants and 50 other pest.
I buy it from Amazon

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We use some kind of white chemical powder - possibly in a diatomacious base? - I'd have to go look - not!- tight around the perimeter of the foundations to keep carpenter ants from colonizing in the walls as they once did. First application is in the spring when the queens start flying, second one a couple months later, mostly for insurance. Kills all ants.

Generally we buy it at the local hardware store, several cans ar a time ahead of immediate use - sometimes the demand exceeds the supply, especially in flying ant time.

Never hada prob with the dogs, and the ants track it back into the nest, killing the queen and buddies.

Dont care what the little bastaeds are doing elsewhere!

Never really thought much of straight d- earth for effectivenous, nor have food based stuff worked well. We have more than carpenters too.

Last edited by las; 01/13/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lemon juice eats their little legs off. Windex kills DRT.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My aunt was very fond of her pet anteater, for some odd reason!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Keep this in mind when you see some foraging ants around. The ones you see only represent a small % (perhaps10%) of the colony. It does little good to kill off a few visible ones with all of these suggested remedies. If the ants even take your bait, they need to bring it back to the nest and pass it around by trophalaxis. If that fails, you fail. That is why the Fipronil containing products, I mentioned previously, work well. As far as safety is concerned, one common on animal product for flea management etc (Frontline) has Fipronil as the active ingredient. What does that tell you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Iffn you kill the scouts they can't report back that your grandkids left half eaten hard candies under the couch.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/13/24.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mom mixes a little sugar with borax and sprinkles it around. Never had a ant problem here so I can't attest to it, but she claims it gets rid of them pretty pronto. I'm guessing the sugar is an attractant and they ingest the borax along with it and game over.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 3,528 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.