Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I finally couldn't stand just looking and ordered a CZ 457 American in 22lr. I've heard a lot of great things about the 457 and decided I needed to find out for myself. I've already ordered some parts to help the rifle out. Different trigger spring, although I have Wolf spring kits I normally use for triggers, an extra used trigger to play with, a steel cocking indicator, and some upgraded screws. I'm sure I'll replace the plastic pillars with aluminum ones we use in the shop, and of course a bedding job.
Next will be a Varmint stock unless I can find a 17HM2 sporter barrel.
So, who to blame for this addiction. Not me of course. bsa?, Penndog? Drover? and a host of others. shocked wink

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You will love your new play toy.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I was afraid of that. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just broke in a 457 MTR. Now makes tiny ragged holes at 50 yards.

Best accuracy you can buy for the money.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I like hearing that.
Thinking about buying a 17 cal. blank from Green Mountain and contouring to match the factory CZ sporter barrel. It would be one way of getting a sporter 17HM2 barrel.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by K22
I like hearing that.
Thinking about buying a 17 cal. blank from Green Mountain and contouring to match the factory CZ sporter barrel. It would be one way of getting a sporter 17HM2 barrel.
Why not just buy a CZ 452 in 17HM2? Mine is very accurate, especially with the Eley 'holy grail' ammo...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
K22: When I heard about the CZ 457 and it's "corrected" safety lever system - I knew I had to have one!
Mine is a heavy barrel model in 22 Magnum and I am happy as pie with it.
Its accurate, functions flawlessly, trigger is excellent and the stock is not only pleasing to look at it works well afield off of all types of improvised rests.
I hope you will be as happy with your CZ 457 as I am with mine.
Keep up the good work CZ.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
I finally couldn't stand just looking and ordered a CZ 457 American in 22lr. I've heard a lot of great things about the 457 and decided I needed to find out for myself. I've already ordered some parts to help the rifle out. Different trigger spring, although I have Wolf spring kits I normally use for triggers, an extra used trigger to play with, a steel cocking indicator, and some upgraded screws. I'm sure I'll replace the plastic pillars with aluminum ones we use in the shop, and of course a bedding job.
So, who to blame for this addiction. Not me of course. bsa?, Penndog? Drover? and a host of others. shocked wink

Bwahahahahaha. I was happy to see this thread. Cant wait to hear how she does for you. Did you get the heavy barrel, or the sporter? Either way, I think you will have a great rifle. I've been wanting to go this route for a while, but never could do it. Started to read about bolt shims, barrel shims, this and that. I should probably just buy one because I like to tinker. I know you will give us an honest report on this one. Keep us posted buddy!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
K22: When I heard about the CZ 457 and it's "corrected" safety lever system - I knew I had to have one!
Mine is a heavy barrel model in 22 Magnum and I am happy as pie with it.
Its accurate, functions flawlessly, trigger is excellent and the stock is not only pleasing to look at it works well afield off of all types of improvised rests.
I hope you will be as happy with your CZ 457 as I am with mine.
Keep up the good work CZ.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks VarmintGuy. This is going to be fun.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by K22

Bwahahahahaha. I was happy to see this thread. Cant wait to hear how she does for you. Did you get the heavy barrel, or the sporter? Either way, I think you will have a great rifle. I've been wanting to go this route for a while, but never could do it. Started to read about bolt shims, barrel shims, this and that. I should probably just buy one because I like to tinker. I know you will give us an honest report on this one. Keep us posted buddy!!!

I thought I could resist but I'm to weak. LOL
No, no heavy barrel for me. I find it more fun to get a sporter weight to shoot right along with a heavy barrel. I was shocked that no one offers a sporter weight in 17HM2, so I'll have to make one. Geesh! I would like to return one of my Sako's that's running a 17HM2 barrel back to a 22lr. so I'll be turning the CZ into a 17HM2 at some point, well, at least that's the plan.

MT DD FAN,
Those 452's do shoot very good but man, they have 3 strikes against them in my book. A 90degree bolt throw, a safety that goes the wrong way, and a trigger that looks very similar to the chinese SKS trigger.
I had one in 22mag. several years ago. Changed the trigger to a Timney, pillar bedded the action and a couple of other small improvements, all before I shot it. What a stupid mistake that was on my part. It wouldn't feed. Tried different magazines.....nada, adjusted the mag. follower, nada, so off to CZ it went. Now the 2 main reasons I bought it was 1. I needed a 22mag for Coyote to fill in for my 164M Anschutz and 2. the stock was a beautiful tiger stripe.
Got the rifle back from CZ and the first thing I noticed was it looked like they dragged the stock across a cement floor, plus they ramped the back of the barrel to get it feed. It's a rimfire. Hell I could have ramped it with a dremel myself. Anyway, they would not take care of the stock nor replace the barrel. I traded it even up for an old Browning A Bolt 22 mag. that was rusted from one end to the other and the stock was scratched up. Swore off of CZ's from that point on.

Here's a picture of it before I even shot it. LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

No, no heavy barrel for me. I find it more fun to get a sporter weight to shoot right along with a heavy barrel. I was shocked that no one offers a sporter weight in 17HM2, so I'll have to make one. Geesh! I would like to return one of my Sako's that's running a 17HM2 barrel back to a 22lr. so I'll be turning the CZ into a 17HM2 at some point, well, at least that's the plan.

MT DD FAN,
Those 452's do shoot very good but man, they have 3 strikes against them in my book. A 90degree bolt throw, a safety that goes the wrong way, and a trigger that looks very similar to the chinese SKS trigger.
I had one in 22mag. several years ago. Changed the trigger to a Timney, pillar bedded the action and a couple of other small improvements, all before I shot it. What a stupid mistake that was on my part. It wouldn't feed. Tried different magazines.....nada, adjusted the mag. follower, nada, so off to CZ it went. Now the 2 main reasons I bought it was 1. I needed a 22mag for Coyote to fill in for my 164M Anschutz and 2. the stock was a beautiful tiger stripe.
Got the rifle back from CZ and the first thing I noticed was it looked like they dragged the stock across a cement floor, plus they ramped the back of the barrel to get it feed. It's a rimfire. Hell I could have ramped it with a dremel myself. Anyway, they would not take care of the stock nor replace the barrel. I traded it even up for an old Browning A Bolt 22 mag. that was rusted from one end to the other and the stock was scratched up. Swore off of CZ's from that point on.

If your CZ shoots really good, you could always sell your 541 to me. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
K22: That WAS a lovely stock on your old 452!
To bad it went haywire.
I have relayed this before on this site.
My good friend and Gopher Hunting buddy Don Griffis (who sadly passed on last week at age 85) owns/owned a CZ 452 heavy barrel Rifle in caliber 17 Mach2.
It has a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it. Anyway he and I were out to our local range one spring day sighting in (double checking) our Gopher Rifles.
Using the above mentioned "Eley" 17 Mach2 ammunition I saw Don shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards (in dead calm air) that measured just a "hair" over .250"!
We were both super impressed with that accuracy by the CZ 452.
Don't give up on the quest for a CZ in 17 Mach2.
Man the woods look "thick" down there in western North Carolina! Never been to either of the Carolinas myself - hope to someday.
Again best to you and the CZ 457.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's a new CZ 457 at our house this holiday season too - a simple walnut stocked Varmint 22LR with a Nikon Tactical scope.

Was waiting to up grade the trigger spring, possibly a new heavier stock, some monster 5-25 56mm scope some day down the road when someone offered up a like new CZ 457 LRP stock with extras thrown in for a very good price.

So now my .22 457 20" heavy barrel rests in an even heavier LRP (long range precision) stock and I wait for this snow storm to pass so I can get top the gun range. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by K22

I am seriously considering getting a 457 American sporter in 22 LR, a local farm store has a new one priced at $600 and have 10% off sale going on.

I have looked at the 457's numerous times and two things have kept me from buying one yet -
#1 is the horrible mud colored finish on the stock and #2 is that I can't believe that it will group as good as my Tikka T1x MTR. I also am not a fan of the nearly 25" barrel.
But, I keep telling myself that it would give me a project for the winter. I am going to take another look at it on Monday, maybe by then I can convince myself that those things are not really important.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a .22LR, most loads begin to slow down after 20" and some at 16". That's one of the reasons why all of my .22s wear a 16" barrel and all but one are heavy/bull/target barrels.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by K22

……can’t blame me I only have a Premium, Jaguar and AT-ONE 😁. K22 you’re going to be happy in your decision - what’s not to like about a rifle that puts them all in the same hole!! Can’t wait to hear your range report!!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 01/13/24.
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

MT DD FAN,

If your CZ shoots really good, you could always sell your 541 to me. ha ha..

Oh, but it's not checkered yet and some rounds are hard to extract because of that tight D52 chamber. I would feel like I cheated you and that would make me feel soooooo bad.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
K22: That WAS a lovely stock on your old 452!
To bad it went haywire.
I have relayed this before on this site.
My good friend and Gopher Hunting buddy Don Griffis (who sadly passed on last week at age 85) owns/owned a CZ 452 heavy barrel Rifle in caliber 17 Mach2.
It has a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it. Anyway he and I were out to our local range one spring day sighting in (double checking) our Gopher Rifles.
Using the above mentioned "Eley" 17 Mach2 ammunition I saw Don shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards (in dead calm air) that measured just a "hair" over .250"!
We were both super impressed with that accuracy by the CZ 452.
Don't give up on the quest for a CZ in 17 Mach2.
Man the woods look "thick" down there in western North Carolina! Never been to either of the Carolinas myself - hope to someday.
Again best to you and the CZ 457.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thick? You got that right.
If I want to shoot more than 100yds. I'd have to set up on Main st. or go down to the airport.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
What! You have 3 of them Penndog? Lucky you.

I looked at the Premium and the Jaguar. I'm a sucker for those European style stocks ever since buying an Anschutz 164M.

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by K22

I am seriously considering getting a 457 American sporter in 22 LR, a local farm store has a new one priced at $600 and have 10% off sale going on.

I have looked at the 457's numerous times and two things have kept me from buying one yet -
#1 is the horrible mud colored finish on the stock and #2 is that I can't believe that it will group as good as my Tikka T1x MTR. I also am not a fan of the nearly 25" barrel.
But, I keep telling myself that it would give me a project for the winter. I am going to take another look at it on Monday, maybe by then I can convince myself that those things are not really important.

drover

drover,
You should really take a hard look at them. The longer barrel may create velocity loss, but sure would make a round quieter and the subsonics quieter even more. What's not to like about that.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.