J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
They were.

Our store was a Gambles when I was a kid.

No honda from what I remember. Tecumseh and B and S.

Got it. They were based out of St. Louis Park MN in their final years. People called it Skoogs but it was actually Skogmo.

The company was sold to a big furniture company somewhere along the line.

Osky

They must have kept the name for a few years before they changed to Coast to Coast.

I am MAGA.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Ariens rule here. Had a foot of heavy snow today nothing phases them. Now all my neighbors have them I should get a commission. Used to be all metal parts I think the motor is a Tecumseh around 9hp 24” wide and will blow snow 40’ if I crank it up.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Check out the Hondas. They don’t come cheap, but they work great. Dependable & reliable. Never ever a problem. Typical Honda product.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
in Arkysass?... hold on, it'l melt soon...

Yea if its powdery, just use a leaf blower

👍😸

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not worth the trouble having one.

Use once every 5 years and have to store it in the meantime. Work on the damn thing to get running because it hasn't been used in a few years.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ariens are the best. But I use a JD4044 for cleaning my driveway. The only thing my snow blower gets used on is the walkway and patio.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do they make anything with electric start?

Heck with yankin on something that’s been sittin for a year.

My ginormous john deere pressure washer is a somebitch. Fight a lot of compression

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can get snowblowers with electric start. You plug an extension cord into the starter, hit the button and they fire right up. One they are warm, it's not worth plugging it in but when you first start, it's pretty nice.

Last edited by 19352012; 01/13/24.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When we first moved here from Florida, our neighbor was the age I am now. He shoveled his driveway one winter morn, went in, sat in his easy chair...and died.

I bought a blower. Have had one ever since, from single-stage two-cycles to my current Beast Husqvarna.

Gonna snow hard all weekend, they say. Probably do the first run this morning and then as needed.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, When we had back to back blizzards one 3 feet the second 2.5feet , I was envy of my neighbors. five feet snow in a week and half and everyone was out shoveling for hours and hours. I was done in one hour. I then went to the older folks on my street and did their driveways. The looks I got were awesome. Especially, from the two neighbors that declined to go in on the purchase of the snow blower. They were sad faced for awhile. Later the two of them bought their own machines. Money well spent. Snow blowers are nice to have but not need.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fenton
Check out the Hondas. They don’t come cheap, but they work great. Dependable & reliable. Never ever a problem. Typical Honda product.
Airens are made in Wisconsin, USA and are better than Honda

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Valsdad
... i found out it works really well.....................................................especially with someone else running it laugh

When we were first married, had 100ft driveway plus three parking spaces. Older gentleman next to us had 30-40 ft driveway, AND a snow blower... smile He offered that I could keep the snow blower at my place and use it all I wanted as long as I kept his driveway clear. Deal !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
When we first moved here from Florida, our neighbor was the age I am now. He shoveled his driveway one winter morn, went in, sat in his easy chair...and died.

Succubus in the house probably riding his ass about it.

That’s what kills B-Type men. He should have back handed her, he might still be alive.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Airens are made in Wisconsin, USA and are better than Honda

I’d say the Airens are in the #2 slot. Good machines I’m sure.
I bought my Honda 8hp, track drive about 24 years ago. Never a problem, never been back to the shop, never more than two pulls to start it. Still throws snow across the street.
Buy once, cry once, then blow snow for the rest of your life trouble free.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Airens or Honda. Both work, and both will have dealers around that stock parts.

Keep ethanol away from them, run all the fuel out at the end of the season, and they should start easily for years.

My daughter has a Husqvarna that’s in its 12th season, and it runs like a beast… when it runs. None of the places nearby that are listed as dealers on the Husqvarna website, still carry the brand. In fact, many of them never did. 🤬

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

I've had a 928?? for a year now. Battery Start. Tracks. Avoid any wheeled POS. BTDT

U are right on both accounts: "not cheap/ works great". Ordered it in May, got it in Feb., promised for Sept or early Oct. Wasn't too happy about that. Cost me half as much for the plow truck guy before it got here!

Get plenty of shear pins: very easy to change. I try not to get below 5 spares on hand. Chunks of shed, frozen car ice, shed twigs, string etc . /pretty tender. Does not like rocks or tall grass at all! Get fewer if it never gets off a dressed sidewalk or civilized pavement. I go through 1-3 every use, clearing 2 good sized gravel drives, at least until a covering base gets laid down.

Oh yeah, stuffed dog toys.... throws frozen turds well tho. Usually.

10mm socket and a screw driver is all one needs for shear pin change- screw driver is to clear snow for access and occaissionaly remove old pin part.

Love the variable speed drive and tilt feature!

Last edited by las; 01/13/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Blizzard O'24 just ended in NE Wi... snow drifts look to be 24"+(maybe 36?) in places... bought an old MTD 26" blower a few yrs back from the local Baldwin sisters, they used it once, too much for them... looks like best $150 i ever spent...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mostly correct there las, except for that "Avoid any wheeled POS" part. Honda 928WAS here with the wheels, Hydrostatic drive, electric start... I looked at the track model, but was told that moving them around in the garage was way more difficult. I had chains on my old wheeled Toro, but don't need them on the Honda. The neighborhood is full of Ariens blowers and I'm not impressed. The Honda is so geared up in that second stage that it throws snow half again farther than anything I've seen. 13.1" of snow here yesterday and that Honda made easy work of it across a three stall driveway. Get enough horsepower or you'll be reworking what you've already blown. That Hydrostatic drive is worth what ever they want you to pay for it. The rubber disc drive and manual gear box on most blowers is a wear item. I've had two Toro's (seized up the little one), an 8 hp John Deere and a 8 hp Simplicity. None of them throw snow like that 928WAS. The Honda is probably 10 years old now and starts on the first pull even after sitting for a year. I have never used the electric starter. Agreed on the easy change shear pins, mine are special soft bolts. Ice chunks from the plow got me a time or two, but it mostly goes through anything that I feed it. Highly recommended. Watch the rest, then buy the best.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just finished snow removal (Knee deep+ in places)... the 8 hp Tecumseh (sitting for a yr) started on the second pull (only because i didn't push the prime button enough on the first try)... this old MTD was built early 90's?... i keep the oil changed and use non ethanol gas... hard to beat that for $150...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
7mm - you fugger! I have 3500 into the Honda!

Windfall... I've had wheeled .... with chains!, and my tracked Honda leaves them in the dust. er- snow/iced... Works even better in the garage...and just how much are you using it in the garage? I do keep mine there... Did spin it out on the iced up up-ramp early this year tho. Got a snow base layer over that now tho.

It's got track retards for turning like a CAT. Nifty!

Especially when I remember to use them. smile

Last edited by las; 01/14/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.