Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This always has troubled me.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I went to a papist service before Christmas, the gist of which was " When God became a man....." that I really ended up enjoying and I am not a papist.

You wrote messiah(s) has there been more than one?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There has only been 1 messiah and he certainly knew he was a Jew.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Jesus had no identity confusion. He knew He was the Son. He did not claim to be God or The Holy Spirit. He knew his place from the beginning.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Jesus had no identity confusion. He knew He was the Son. He did not claim to be God or The Holy Spirit. He knew his place from the beginning.

I believe that he did in fact claim such. Several passages seem to support this.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I believe that he did in fact claim such. Several passages seem to support this.

HE knew who and what HE was/is.

While on earth HE 'set aside', for want of a better word, some, of HIS deity. Philippians 2.

But he told the Sanhedrin, IIRC, '...hereafter you will see me coming on the clouds of heaven...' which in OT parlance was 'I am GOD', which is what so enraged them....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jesus did claim to be God.

John 8:57 So the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?"
58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

I Am is God's name, told to Moses at the burning bush. Jesus called himself that and the Jews knew exactly what he was saying - he was claiming to be God.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All this cucking and the jew would stab the christian in the back

https://twitter.com/CathChivalry/status/1745867402133274907

Jooish influencer Adam King says he would get rid of Catholicism over Islam! His debate teammate Gavin Mcinnes walked out in complete disappointment

Last edited by BCBH; 01/13/24.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Jesus did claim to be God.

John 8:57 So the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?"
58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

I Am is God's name, told to Moses at the burning bush. Jesus called himself that and the Jews knew exactly what he was saying - he was claiming to be God.

I think he did let people know he was God when appropriate, but mostly he referred to himself as, The Son of Man. Both are true. The concept that he made himself equal to God was what got him executed. Jesus was the first to speak of God as Father, a blasphemous thing in his time.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul’s opponents in the days that the original historical manuscripts that would later be combined into the New Testament…along with Paul’s opponents of today…believed that in order to be a Christian follower of Jesus, a person had to accept and follow the Law of Moses as laid out in the Jewish Scriptures. Men and women had to adopt a Jewish lifestyle (keeping kosher, observing the sabbath, following the Torah, and so on) to join the people of God.

Anyone who didn’t do this was not really a member of the people of God, since…to Paul’s opponents…to be one of God’s people meant following the Law of Moses that God had given ~ even though God had given the Law of Moses to only the ancient Israelites, and no one else.

Paul…whom Jesus Himself clearly said, “is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles, their kings, and the Israelites”…was incensed at this misinterpretation of the faith and insisted with extraordinary vehemence that it was completely wrong.

Christian followers of Jesus…Gentile or Jew…were not, and absolutely are not, required to adopt a Jewish lifestyle (keeping kosher, observing the sabbath, following
the Torah, and so on) in order to be right with God. Period

Anyone who thinks so renders the death and resurrection of Jesus worthless. It is only that death and resurrection that makes a person right with God. Nothing else. Certainly not following the Torah.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Amazing how they all wore exactly the same hat!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Christian followers of Jesus…Gentile or Jew…were not, and absolutely are not, supposed to adopt a Jewish lifestyle (keeping kosher, observing the sabbath, following
the Torah, and so on). Period

Where would the 10 Commandments fit into this?

Thou shalt remember to keep the seventh day holy, for one?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Christian followers of Jesus…Gentile or Jew…were not, and absolutely are not, required to adopt a Jewish lifestyle (keeping kosher, observing the sabbath, following the Torah, and so on) in order to be right with God. Period.
Jesus made it crystal clear that ALL of the entirety of the Law and the Prophets hangs on the following: If you love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and might, ‘and’ if you love your neighbor as yourself ~ which He later one-upped to “love others as I have loved you.”

Christian followers of Jesus are not beholden to any of the 613 different commandments in the Law of Moses; nor are they beholden to any of the Ten Commandments either. Christian followers of Jesus are beholden to the commandments that Jesus Himself gave in Matthew 22:37-40 and in John 13:34-35. Those commandments cover ALL of the entirety of the Law and the Prophets. Jesus Himself made that abundantly clear.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Christian followers of Jesus…Gentile or Jew…were not, and absolutely are not, required to adopt a Jewish lifestyle (keeping kosher, observing the sabbath, following the Torah, and so on) in order to be right with God. Period.
Jesus made it crystal clear that ALL of the entirety of the Law and the Prophets hangs on the following: If you love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and might, ‘and’ if you love your neighbor as yourself ~ which He later one-upped to “love others as I have loved you.”

Christian followers of Jesus are not beholden to any of the 613 different commandments in the Law of Moses; nor are they beholden to any of the Ten Commandments either. Christian followers of Jesus are beholden to the commandments that Jesus Himself gave in Matthew 22:37-40. Those commandments cover ALL of the entirety of the Law and the Prophets. Jesus Himself made that abundantly clear.

IIRC He was asked what is the greatest commandment. In that He replied as you stated, the first and greatest followed by the second like unto it.

Would we surmise that the second like unto the first encompasses the rest of the 10 Commandments?

Antlers I much appreciate your replies and know that I’m not looking for a squabble in any way.

Oops, 10 not 20 Commandments!

Last edited by Houston_2; 01/13/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would we surmise that the second like unto the first encompasses the rest of the 10 Commandments?
The commandments that Jesus Himself gave in Matthew 22:37-40 and in John 13:34-35 encompasses everything in the entire old testament (the Law and the Prophets). Jesus made that crystal clear.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The commandments that Jesus Himself gave in Matthew 22:37-40 and in John 13:34-35 encompasses everything in the entire old testament (the Law and the Prophets). Jesus made that crystal clear.

My question was, is the second (and great) commandment encompassing the rest of the original 10 commandments?

I understand the rest of what you’re saying but I do not believe that the balance of His original 10 commandments does not apply and is simply being dismissed as such. Period.

If we examine the 10 commandments it’s clear that the first 4 are our duty to Him, specifically and the remaining 6 are our duty to our fellow man.

Jmo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ten Commandments were given as a portion of the Law of Moses.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Ten Commandments were given as a portion of the Law of Moses.

I understand that. Are you saying that none of those original 10 commandments any longer apply after Jesus came and went?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you saying that none of those original 10 commandments any longer apply after Jesus came and went?
I’m saying that none of the Law of Moses applies to Christian followers of Jesus anymore. Jesus’ New Covenant retired that old covenant, which Jesus fulfilled. He made this clear. So did James (His brother) and Peter. And Paul.

I understand the tension that this approach causes for some; something inside of some folks tempts them to believe that God loves His Law more than He loves the people that He created. And some are tempted to prioritize rules over people. May be that a lotta people left church because someone there prioritized the Bible over their divorced mother or their drug-addicted prostitute sister. But Jesus came to offer us a life greater than keeping religious rules.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 5 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.