Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I guess we didn't get that channel DB.

I am just grateful that I got to pick rock with a tractor and not with a team pulling a stone boat like my dad.

Seriously?
You aren't that old.

54, dad was close 40 when I was born, he plowed and logged with mules up into
the early 60s.

It's hard to imagine a JD A and B as being the biggest, fanciest, bestest thing ever
to work with.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We’re you born in the wrong time period?
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I was born at least 80 to 100 years too late.
Many times I have figured it at about 20 to 25 years.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If I were born in an earlier time, I would be dead by now. Probably from colon cancer. Cancer ran heavy in my mom's family. Modern medicine also kept my wife from dying as a baby, so I am grateful that she survived. She is the finest woman I know and I can't imagine being married to anyone else. I am 73 and have lived in what I consider to be the best time in this country's history. Not happy with where the country is today, but I have enjoyed more opportunities than any of my ancestors had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seafire: our society doesn’t get stronger, we get weaker.

That’s pretty much my observation, also. Many things have made our lives easier, more enjoyable and we live longer. As some have said, one can choose to live as they had to live generations ago, but some of us enjoy the comforts we have. A lot of people see those comforts as essentials and entitlements to be provided by government. I will leave it there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've often thought it would be interesting to live in another time knowing what we know today. Could have made some dough yo.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
I've often thought it would be interesting to live in another time knowing what we know today. Could have made some dough yo.
That points to the crux of these kind of threads.

You either go back knowing what you know now so you compare the reality of life then to life now - and use foreknowledge to make a fortune in any of several ways, or you are (were) just born into that time like everyone else and life would be as normal for you as it was for anyone back then.

You might marvel at reading about the Wright brothers in North Carolina, or a clipper ship setting a new speed record from New York to Liverpool and think, "will wonders never cease?"

You'd thank your lucky stars that you can take a train from Virginia to California in a mere 5 or 6 days where it would have taken your ancestors six months to make that journey, if they even survived it.

Half your brothers and sisters would have died before age 5, but "oh well, that's life". Then you'd pack your lunchbox and head off to your 12 hour a day job at the factory.

You'd get really excited over the idea of everyone having flying cars by 1950...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
4 of us were musing about what it would have been like to have lived 100 years ago.
1. My wife said her life would have been ruined by Multiple Sclerosis at age 52. Her treatments have left her with no new attacks.
2. I said that I would have died in my 40s from pyelonephritis and pneumonia as a secondary problem from BPH causing severe urinary retention and kidney infections numerous times.

I suppose I hate the way our nation is right now and would have preferred the more conservative and moral nation of long ago, but I also like the ability to travel pretty much anywhere I want to go today. And, with all the health problems I've experienced that were not easily treatable years ago, it's great that I was born when I was.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
O
My mom had polio so I’m happy in this time no complaints.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Heym06
Born in 1950 and raised in Eastern Oregon. Great time to grow up, and great country. Oregon like all other states has changed greatly, and no state has improved, since the 60's. Yes I was born in the right time. We did the same things as my grandparents. We just had better tools and transportation, letting us accomplish more in less time. Farming, logging, trapping ,hunting and fishing and chasing girls until one caught you! Cycle of life.

Hey Heym06, where were you raised in Eastern Oregon? I grew up on a ranch between Prineville and Post. Fifi was closer, but it's not there anymore (just consisted of a gas station, store, and Grange).

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Lorne
[quote=Mule Deer]Ah, those earlier times! Grew up in Montana in the 1950s and 60s, and it was a different place, Some would think it was hunting and fishing heaven--but elk and pronghorn weren't nearly as abundant as today, and fishing wasn't as good, due to various factors.

Also, if my father had been born just a few years earlier, I wouldn't have been born. He developed Type 1 diabetes at age 11, five years after insulin was first synthesized. He died at 44, partly due to it--and partly due to the standard doctor's advice at the time that he might as well live it up, since he was going to die young anyway. So he ate too much and smoked heavily (as a lot of people did back then). Luckily I have no sign of diabetes, and quit smoking after he died.

Grandpa got electricity in 52. Indoor plumbing a while after that.

Packing water to your team in the barn while it was 40 below must have been fun and rewarding.....

An hour every morning to harness up and hook up the wagon. Sleigh if you were rich.

Yeah, mom and dad got electric in 1961.

One of the wells was about 1/3 mile from my grandpa’s house.Hauling water with a team and stone boat or wagon was a treat in that -30 .

Grandpa would fix harnesses all winter then bust hell out of a bunch of it getting the teams , that weren’t used in the winter, going in the spring

Dad started as a ‘field hand’ on a thrashing crew at 13 or 14. Which meant you didn’t have a team and wagon of your own so you tossed sheaves up onto a wagon (s) all day……he was 5’6” when full grown. Dust,heat, hard work…..fun times

Boy that's late.

Were you guys especially rural or was Canada just a little slower to electrify?

I think mostly rural , plus kind of in between 2 districts so at the tail end of both.

Phone in 73 , could have had it quicker but it was expensive.

Maybe because we were white trash 😊

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one had been born into life circumstances/environment/gene situation extant 50 years earlier, he/she very likely would not have experienced the same illnesses/health problems experienced in contemporary lives. Yes, life expectancy was shorter, but health challenges differed and type of life differed greatly.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
U
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
U
I can recall my dad telling me of his dad making little wooden boxes in the shop to be lined with little blankets for 3 of his children that died at birth right there in the house. Alson said when his dad went somewhere with the model T that he had to carry a steel pail of water down a long driveway to fill the cars radiator and then opened the petcock to drain again after arriving back home.

We surely do have it much different today and I like this life today just fine except for the modern commies.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Alan_C
While eating lunch, I often watch the Waltons on tv. I enjoy it better at age 64 than when I was young. A lot of lessons in life. If they had better medicine back then , I would say that would have been a good era to have lived in. I would have enjoyed the smaller human population. What about you folks??
I agree.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Before antibiotics?
Just Sulfa.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My Dad said, the cold weather clothes were warm, but awful heavy.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was born in 1944 . I am glad to have lived while I did . Most of my family were farmers , loggers or miners . No one had an easy life compared to today`s standards ,but no one thought much about it as every body was in the same boat . Everybody went to Church on Sunday and nothing was open in town . My dad ,uncles and their friends all were in WWII . Some did not come home ,but no one bitched and cried about it . That was your duty to your country . When I graduated from High School . I enlisted . It was not only expected of me , but I admired my dad and uncles so much , I wanted them to be proud of me . When I was a kid the older folks were addressed as Sir or Mam or Mr. or Mrs. I think about that as young people now are very rude . They needs an old fashioned strapping to give them an attitude adjustment . I feel sorry for my Grand kids and great grand kids as things surely are getting fugged up now.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I was born at the right time and in the right country. I grew up in the 60's and 70's out in the country, no city bullshit for this boy. My childhood was awesome!!
Same here. Worked to make some money while I was still at home but had plenty of time to hunt and fish. I enjoyed growing up in a rural area so much I've never left!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I thought the town kids had the fun. They could shoot baskets, and drink Coke at the drugstore,
All I could do, was shoot a 22 rifle, drive Jeep, and tractors, and ride horse.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,621
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.