Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rem90T Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I was wondering about the smooth bore version of this gun. I found one but it said 22 long rifle, long, and short, but under that it said “shot only”. From my research on them it should say 22 LR shot.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is there a reason you can't shoot bullets out of a smoothbore?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
Is there a reason you can't shoot bullets out of a smoothbore?

I would GUESS that they are slightly overbored so bullets may just rattle down the barrel.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Garden gun remember seeing a ad for them useless POS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They ain’t useless. First time I shot clays was at Boy Scout summer camp in OK, around 1961. Worked fine, and yes, I broke some clays. The 572 can shoot any .22 RF round, be it short, long or LR. If you find any short shot shells they would likely be collectible.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
They ain’t useless. First time I shot clays was at Boy Scout summer camp in OK, around 1961. Worked fine, and yes, I broke some clays. The 572 can shoot any .22 RF round, be it short, long or LR. If you find any short shot shells they would likely be collectible.
Minor side track here. Dan, did your summer camp experience happen to take place at Camp George Thomas?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found some "mosquito" clay birds in the basement of our cabin from the previous owners, I believe they were purpose built for those "rifles". About the size of a half dollar, probably from the 50's or 60's.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Sure, you can shoot L or LR rifle bullets down the barrel. Without rifling, they do not impart much accuracy.

We kept a "bee hive" bolt action 22 LR smooth bore at work since sometime in the 70' for use to kill pigeons, sparrows, and starlings which had managed to enter the warehouse. It was effective on pigeons to 35-40 feet using the CCI encapsulated shot shells.

This was despite the fact that I was informed by my supervisor that 22 cal CCI shotshells were a waste of money, as CCI shotshells were designed to be shot only through CCI firearms.

He usually had at least one idiotic proclamation per day, most of which were much more pertinent to our actual operations.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
Minor side track here. Dan, did your summer camp experience happen to take place at Camp George Thomas?

Don’t recall the camp name, it was on the N. Canadian River, not terribly far from Oklahoma City.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The Routledge bore.

They're worth some money.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The game was actually called "Mo-Skeet-O" . The boy scout camp I attended in the late 1950's had that setup in addition to a bunch of WW II surplus .22 training rifles.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a single-shot bolt action Remington Target Master smoothbore.22lr when I was a kid.

Couldn't begin to tell you how many marauding blackbirds and rats I killed with that gun.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Garden Gun.
I shot a friends Savage smoothbore 22, it shot through 10 layers of cardboard and an aluminum soda can that had been mashed flat. That amazed me, -not sure of the ammo brand.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Sure, you can shoot L or LR rifle bullets down the barrel. Without rifling, they do not impart much accuracy.

We kept a "bee hive" bolt action 22 LR smooth bore at work since sometime in the 70' for use to kill pigeons, sparrows, and starlings which had managed to enter the warehouse. It was effective on pigeons to 35-40 feet using the CCI encapsulated shot shells.

This was despite the fact that I was informed by my supervisor that 22 cal CCI shotshells were a waste of money, as CCI shotshells were designed to be shot only through CCI firearms.

He usually had at least one idiotic proclamation per day, most of which were much more pertinent to our actual operations.

A "CCI firearm"? yeah right

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Smooth bores bring big dollars.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1029999868

Last edited by Stammster; 01/15/24.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

A "CCI firearm"? yeah right

'Twas the point of the story.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stammster
Smooth bores bring big dollars.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1029999868

In the box no less! I am drooling. I sold my Marlin "Garden Gun" close to 10 years ago and it brought $800 then. Anything "Unique" brings good money, especially NIB.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TheKid

Don’t recall the camp name, it was on the N. Canadian River, not terribly far from Oklahoma City.
I see. Not sure what that one is/was named or if it’s even still there. George Thomas is across the highway from the family ranch and the guy who would have been in charge at the time was a friend of my family.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 36 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,052
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.