Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Teeder
"As Craig Boddington likes to say bullet weight covers sins in bullet construction so if using a heavy for game bullet probably ok"

Isn't that essentially what Elmer was doing with those 300 grain .338 bullets?

Except Elmer used .333 caliber Jeffreys bullets. If he had a .338 caliber cartridge, he could have used Nosler Partitions on those safaris back in the late 50's.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 10at6
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Thanks, Jordan. Were those out of a 6.5 CM too?
Yessir.
A target bullet, a Creedmoor, an elk, and 650 yards. You're going to break the Internet. grin

LOL!

Truth is, I'd rather use the 147 ELDM at that range than any mono.
I would use any match bullet long before using a mono. And most C and C's

🤦‍♂️ JFW! No comment necessary, as this should be pretty self explanatory! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shoulder shot a doe yesterday at 95yds with a 168gr TTSX just see. Excellent result same as one that I shot in the upper neck that almost took her head off. We my not use the 168gr TTSX on elk next year but it will forever be our deer bullet of choice.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by 10at6
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Thanks, Jordan. Were those out of a 6.5 CM too?
Yessir.
A target bullet, a Creedmoor, an elk, and 650 yards. You're going to break the Internet. grin

LOL!

Truth is, I'd rather use the 147 ELDM at that range than any mono.
I would use any match bullet long before using a mono. And most C and C's

🤦‍♂️ JFW! No comment necessary, as this should be pretty self explanatory! memtb

You are so gawd dam stupid

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Handy is refering to himself and his vast knowledge of hunting and firearms.

Molon Labe
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

👍 👏 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

No, I was directly addressing memtb, obviously.

!!!!!

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/15/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
"As Craig Boddington likes to say bullet weight covers sins in bullet construction so if using a heavy for game bullet probably ok"

Except Elmer used .333 caliber Jeffreys bullets. If he had a .338 caliber cartridge, he could have used Nosler Partitions on those safaris back in the late 50's.

Elmer used 300-grain steel-jacketed .333 Kynoch bullets on his first safari in 1958, both "solids" and "softs," in his .333 OKH. The softs blew up so badly (one didn't even exit a Thompson's gazelle about the size of a big coyote) that he used the solids for the rest of the safari. They were the typical round-nosed solids of the era, which didn't kill very well either, even though they penetrated. I know this from reading his book Safari numerous times, which was pretty rare due to being a private printing.

I have enormous respect for Elmer in most ways, the reason I re-read Hell, I Was There every 2-3 years--and also own or have owned all his other books. For one thing, he often mentioned how little meat damage heavier, slower bullets caused, something many "gun writers" never mention--perhaps because the meat isn't important to them.
For another Lorraine always seemed to be very happy, which counts for a lot in my world.

Also corresponded briefly with him toward the end of his life, and have one of his letters on the wall of my office--which deals with the .338-06 and the best bullets and loads. But he was also more "resistant" to how changes in bullet construction affected consistent performance, whether penetration or expansion or whatever. One example is how he wrote at least once that the 250-grain .338 Nosler Partition should have weighed 300 grains. I have killed a bunch of big game weighing up to 1500 pounds with the 250 .338 and have yet to recover one....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Elmer used 300-grain steel-jacketed .333 Kynoch bullets on his first safari in 1958, both "solids" and "softs," in his .333 OKH. The softs blew up so badly (one didn't even exit a Thompson's gazelle about the size of a big coyote) that he used the solids for the rest of the safari. They were the typical round-nosed solids of the era, which didn't kill very well either, even though they penetrated. I know this from reading his book Safari numerous times, which was pretty rare due to being a private printing.

I have enormous respect for Elmer in most ways, the reason I re-read Hell, I Was There every 2-3 years--and also own or have owned all his other books. For one thing, he often mentioned how little meat damage heavier, slower bullets caused, something many "gun writers" never mention--perhaps because the meat isn't important to them.
For another Lorraine always seemed to be very happy, which counts for a lot in my world.

Also corresponded briefly with him toward the end of his life, and have one of his letters on the wall of my office--which deals with the .338-06 and the best bullets and loads. But he was also more "resistant" to how changes in bullet construction affected consistent performance, whether penetration or expansion or whatever. One example is how he wrote at least once that the 250-grain .338 Nosler Partition should have weighed 300 grains. I have killed a bunch of big game weighing up to 1500 pounds with the 250 .338 and have yet to recover one....

Elmers last bull elk was killed with the 275 Gr Speer in a .338 KT.

Bullet fragmented and but did kill that spike.

A 130gr VLD from a 6.5mmCM would have done just as well.

Recovering bullets is a ho hum thing. Recovering game is pretty important.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
I miss the Hornady Interbond.

I shot the 150gr out of a 300 WSM @ 3,300 fps and it was the hammer of thor from 10yds to 300yds always had full penetration with a quarter to golf ball size exit.

At one time I had 15 straight kills and none of them took a step. I also shot these in a 30-06 and did recover a couple and they were a perfect mushrooms with about 1/2-3/4" diameter and weight retention was usually around 75%.

The interbonds hit incredibly hard. I ran the 165g through a 300 wsm at 3100 for a few years in the early 2000s. I was impressed with how they killed. I recovered one from a large bodied mule deer buck and it had a nice mushroom of twice diameter and still weight around 140g iirc. I actually found some 7mm 154g interbonds on clearance recently and bought about 700. They may not have the best bc for a tipped boat tail but if one of my rifles likes them I'll hunt with them.

I used the 180 eldm from a 7 prc at 2850mv to take my cow elk on Halloween day at 470 yards. It worked but I only recovered some small bullet fragments. It dug deeper than a 150 eldx from my 18" fieldcraft 7-08 did on a cow a few years back.

Bb

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

That "Safari" book is a good read. Have a signed copy and interestingly Elmer hand wrote corrections throughout the book where misprints occured. Have a bunch of others as well, as his writing made a lot of sence.

Interestingly, I never heard of Jack O'Connor until Guns&Ammo published a newsstand book of his best of stories after his death. Liked that too, although being a special edition, didn't know anything about his association to the .270 until I got on this web site.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

J

That "Safari" book is a good read. Have a signed copy and interestingly Elmer hand wrote corrections throughout the book where misprints occured. Have a bunch of others as well, as his writing made a lot of sence.

Interestingly, I never heard of Jack O'Connor until Guns&Ammo published a newsstand book of his best of stories after his death. Liked that too, although being a special edition, didn't know anything about his association to the .270 until I got on this web site.

Jack O’Conner, single handedly is the reason that I despise the 270 Win. 😁 memtb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks for clearing that up. My memory isn't what it used to be. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

KT pretty similar to the 340 Wby?

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
I miss the Hornady Interbond.

I shot the 150gr out of a 300 WSM @ 3,300 fps and it was the hammer of thor from 10yds to 300yds always had full penetration with a quarter to golf ball size exit.

At one time I had 15 straight kills and none of them took a step. I also shot these in a 30-06 and did recover a couple and they were a perfect mushrooms with about 1/2-3/4" diameter and weight retention was usually around 75%.

The interbonds hit incredibly hard. I ran the 165g through a 300 wsm at 3100 for a few years in the early 2000s. I was impressed with how they killed. I recovered one from a large bodied mule deer buck and it had a nice mushroom of twice diameter and still weight around 140g iirc. I actually found some 7mm 154g interbonds on clearance recently and bought about 700. They may not have the best bc for a tipped boat tail but if one of my rifles likes them I'll hunt with them.

I used the 180 eldm from a 7 prc at 2850mv to take my cow elk on Halloween day at 470 yards. It worked but I only recovered some small bullet fragments. It dug deeper than a 150 eldx from my 18" fieldcraft 7-08 did on a cow a few years back.

Bb
I take it, no exit with that 180, Bb? What was penetration like?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

KT pretty similar to the 340 Wby?

More similar than different.
I've had a couple of 340's and a full sized 338/378 and the only difference in the field was the recoil, headaches and muzzle roar. A case volume in between wouldn't have any notable difference and no benefits.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks AGW.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
beretzs, Elmer and Thompson pushed the shoulder back about a quarter of an inch on his .338/378. He felt a full lenght case was too over bore for 4831. He gained a bit of speed over the .340 I am not sure now how much. I am also not sure about the 275 gr Speer blowing up in the spike. He never mentioned a failure with that bullet that I remember reading about. I know it was his 50th elk for his own use.
As much as I respect Elmer he had his short comings, but who doesn't. He was always concerned about the loss of meat. Something few other writers ever mentioned.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The ELD-x bullets have always had a hit-and-miss reputation for reliability. I have read and seen a bit of both, although I have never tried them. The ones that I tested were very accurate. I think that they were developed with long shots in mind and consequently do not do as well up close.

I have, however, shot quite a few deer from close, to out past 400 yards with the 147 ELD-M, from a Creedmoor. It has performed well at all distances. It seems strange that a target bullet does better than their hunting bullet, but it does. There is obviously a design difference, but maybe the key is long-for-caliber demensions.

In my opinion, the old SST was garbage. I had them come apart on small white-tailed does, shot from a moderate-velocity .308. Never again would I use that bullet.

The old A-max, performed much as the ELD-M does now. It seemed to be reliable on deer and elk-from what I have seen and read, but I never used them.

My experience is that the standard Interlock beats the new, fancy bullets hands down for hunting at all reasonable ranges. I realize that they do not have the pretty little tips, but that is irrelevant anyway. That bullet from nearly any cartridge has never let me down and are as accurate as I can shoot. The 129 in the Creed and .260 perform great.

I will not use a mono in a moderate-velocity cartridge, as it is just not necessary and they are expensive.

Last edited by sbhooper; 01/16/24.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sbhooper
The ELD-x bullets have always had a hit-and-miss reputation for reliability. I have read and seen a bit of both, although I have never tried them. The ones that I tested were very accurate. I think that they were developed with long shots in mind and consequently do not do as well up close.

I have, however, shot quite a few deer from close, to out past 400 yards with the 147 ELD-M, from a Creedmoor. It has performed well at all distances. It seems strange that a target bullet does better than their hunting bullet, but it does. There is obviously a design difference, but maybe the key is long-for-caliber demensions.

In my opinion, the old SST was garbage. I had them come apart on small white-tailed does, shot from a moderate-velocity .308. Never again would I use that bullet.

The old A-max, performed much as the ELD-M does now. It seemed to be reliable on deer and elk-from what I have seen and read, but I never used them.

My experience is that the standard Interlock beats the new, fancy bullets hands down for hunting at all reasonable ranges. I realize that they do not have the pretty little tips, but that is irrelevant anyway. That bullet from nearly any cartridge has never let me down and are as accurate as I can shoot. The 129 in the Creed and .260 perform great.

I will not use a mono in a moderate-velocity cartridge, as it is just not necessary and they are expensive.

if the cost of something like a TTSX or hammer etc... is too much then there are other issues at hand. We can blame it on many things but cost is not one of those.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (204guy, 280shooter, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.