Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eat more hot food.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Here are some things I did after reading a study by Texas A&M.

Never let laundry water into septic system because there are so many synthetic fibers these days it binds with bio mat and forms a plastic that clogs and will be there forever. Look at the stuff in the dryer lint filter.

To prevent a backup on the days Murphy’s law dictates is the worst day, put a y pipe with a cleanout plug inline before the tank somewheres where you can afford to let your chit drain whilst you enjoy your holiday. I did two mainpipe cleanouts and one y pipe between the house and first tank.

Use two tanks before the drainfield. My front tank is a dual compartment, only the front compartment would ever need to be pumped if ever needed at all.

Always mark where the tanks are and install risers.

I did a 2,500 square foot drain-field that was extremely deep with mountains of river rock gravel.

This my friends is called a “sewer system” so do it right, Chit or get off the pot !

Texas A&M Extension Service is aces. They've been educating Texas water/waste water operators for decades.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Roots do bad things

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
It shouldn’t be seeping OUT of the ground . That’s the problem
This.

Likely time for a new field.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Make sure there are no dripping/leaking faucets or a leaking/running toilet.
That slow freshwater run can and does freeze up the drainline in a bad way.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Septic tank systems should never freeze, you have something else going on most likely.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Roots do bad things

Yeah I had an issue with roots that I took care of with copper sulfate crystals. It'll kill whatever is attached to the roots, but that's to be expected.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Build a bonfire over it. Grass is easy to fix in the warm months.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP, when you say= "walked down the hillside see moisture seeping" Your field should be level, should not have the seeping problem down the hillside.

I used to see this problem a lot when I lived in Montana. People install septic systems running down the hillside.

Again, your field needs to be level. If you have a difference in elevation more than the depth of your line's, you are going to have a seeping issue. The hydrostatic pressure of the moisture and the difference in elevation you will see these types of problems.

Not sure how long you have lived in this residence, or how often you have problems with your system.
I have never seen a field freeze; I don't think it's possible. From the makeup of what goes into the tank from our body.

If you can make it till Springtime comes around, you might have someone look at your system.

Wish you all the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After 40 yrs, our metal tank and drain field were toast. Put in a new system.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/16/24.

1Minute
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
if you have moisture (septage) at the end of the lines you have additional problems. likely with no place for black water to go all the lines are frozen.
Yeah, if you had visible moisture seepage before, your leach field was probably already failing.
How old is system? Built to code?
I was wondering the same thing... Around here, nearly all sewer systems are of the 'mound' style...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KenMi
Build a bonfire over it. Grass is easy to fix in the warm months.

I wouldn't build a fire over it. You might have an issue with Methane Gas.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
OP, when you say= "walked down the hillside see moisture seeping" Your field should be level, should not have the seeping problem down the hillside.

I used to see this problem a lot when I lived in Montana. People install septic systems running down the hillside.

Again, your field needs to be level. If you have a difference in elevation more than the depth of your line's, you are going to have a seeping issue. The hydrostatic pressure of the moisture and the difference in elevation you will see these types of problems.

Not sure how long you have lived in this residence, or how often you have problems with your system.
I have never seen a field freeze; I don't think it's possible. From the makeup of what goes into the tank from our body.

If you can make it till Springtime comes around, you might have someone look at your system.

Wish you all the best.

Our system at our former house was on a fairly decent grade/slope and the system we're about to have installed for a lot in Tenn will be on a much steeper grade.

FJB & FJT
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
You can install field lines on a grade . You run the lines parallel to contours and dig level . If your sewage is coming out of the ground, it’s failing .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can install field lines on a grade . You run the lines parallel to contours and dig level . If your sewage is coming out of the ground, it’s failing .

This about sums it up.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

This about sums it up.

I read through to quickly.......

I went right by "People install septic systems running down the hillside." this!

My apologies!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you determine that your field has problems, try some of this Leach field conditioner before you spend a wad of money. 6 or 7 years ago, I was seeing a little water on top of our field. I flushed down a quart of this, then repeated it a couple months later. It took care of the problem. I haven't seen any wet dirt on top of the field in years. It's a little different from septic tank cleaner. We were having problems with a wife and MIL flushing a half roll of paper at a time. The seemed to break it down faster.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not good

M
Mwbyler Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Had a guy come out and sucked out the cleanup, was clogged at the baffling going into the tank, 1st lid is under 4 ft of dirt, no idea why they would have buried it and not put a riser there, we dug up the second lid where it was pumped out last fall, pumped the water out and the septic guy jumped down in the tank, knocked the baffle off and cleaned out the clog, couldn't pay me enough to get down in that crap, he didn't seem fazed by it. Bought this place a little over a year ago so I don't know the history of it, no codes to follow in rural KY, called the original owner last fall when backed up and he told me he never had it pumped in the 18 years since it was installed, mind boggling that he would not have had it pumped every few years as maintenance. Out of sight out of mind seems to be the norm for some people. Foot note....guy had to cut off the PVC piping that held to filter going into the leach field just to get back out of the tank. I was hoping that the sewage gases wouldn't overwhelm him. They were bad

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Glad ya got it worked out👍👍

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,309
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.