Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am still considering different handguns for light weight carry. I've heard disparaging remarks about the new Smiths. What if any issues do new 38sp Airweights have? If an older model would be better, what years should I look for? Does anyone else make a better-quality light weight 38sp?

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Generally, I'd recommend a pre-lock. Even better, a pre-82.

Here's my pre-82 S&W Model 38 "Airweight Bodyguard," .38 Special, wearing modern made S&W rubberized grips. Aluminum frame.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RHClark
I am still considering different handguns for light weight carry. I've heard disparaging remarks about the new Smiths. What if any issues do new 38sp Airweights have? If an older model would be better, what years should I look for? Does anyone else make a better-quality light weight 38sp?
AIRWEIGHT:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

or, AirLite:

Every day’s an adventure.
R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Exchipy
AIRWEIGHT:

or, AirLite:

Well,I don't know. Which is better?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Generally, I'd recommend a pre-lock.
There’s a filler commercially available for the lock:

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Generally, I'd recommend a pre-lock.
There’s a filler commercially available for the lock:
I know, but the period that started with the lock also marked a decrease in general quality control. Just like there's nothing special about a pinned barrel, it serves as a demarcation of a new period in S&W manufacturing that also featured a slight reduction in general quality.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I don't know. Which is better?
Depends on what you want. The AirLite is the lightest by a few ounce, due to its Titanium cylinder and aluminum barrel shroud, but shoots just fine (though it do kick some). The AIRWEIGHT feels less like a toy, but is still substantially lighter than an all steel J-Frame.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Well,I don't know. Which is better?
Airweight models feature aluminum alloy frames. Airlite models feature scandum alloy frames which combine lightweight with (supposedly) the strength of steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The AIRWEIGHT was also made with a 3” barrel. But, they are quite hard to find, and priced accordingly:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]This one cost an arm, but thankfully not also a leg.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The above-shown AirLite is a Model 342 in .38SPL. More commonly seen, is the Model 340 in .357MAG, most examples having been fired very little before their previous owners quickly tired of the beating it gave them. Of course, .38SPL ammo can certainly be used in a Model 340.

The Centennials are the way to go with newer guns, though. Their actions feel much better than the newer exposed hammer S&W revolvers. While there’s not nearly as much pride in ownership of a newer S&W revolver, it’s also not as traumatizing when necessarily surrendering it to the cops after a self defense shooting.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The above-shown AirLite is the Model 342 in .38SPL. More commonly seen, is the Model 340 in .357MAG, most examples having been fired very little before their previous owners quickly tired of the beating it gave them. Of course, .38SPL ammo can certainly be used in a Model 340.

The Centennials are the way to go with newer guns, though. Their actions feel much better than the newer exposed hammer S&W revolvers.
And you can get them without the key lock.

R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The above-shown AirLite is a Model 342 in .38SPL. More commonly seen, is the Model 340 in .357MAG, most examples having been fired very little before their previous owners quickly tired of the beating it gave them. Of course, .38SPL ammo can certainly be used in a Model 340.

The Centennials are the way to go with newer guns, though. Their actions feel much better than the newer exposed hammer S&W revolvers. While there’s not nearly as much pride in ownership of a newer S&W revolver, it’s also not as traumatizing when necessarily surrendering it to the cops after a self defense shooting.

Thank you. That's the kind of info I was wanting. I'll look into a Centennial. I have never heard of them before.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a whole bucket full of these jframes and have 1/2 dozen new ones. The new ones are just fine for me. You can get a 642 with no lock and a 340. The 340 is great but is in 357. Shoot standard pressure 38s or if you handload or shoot reduced 357s. I narrow the front sight on my 642s. Despite being al framed, the 642 holds up.
S.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bought a 442-2 Airweight, trigger was stiffer than I like so installed Wolff springs and it's been a great shooter.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you. That's the kind of info I was wanting. I'll look into a Centennial. I have never heard of them before.
One distinct advantage of the Centennials, not realized by novice revolver shooters, is the ability to get the shooting hand much higher up on the backstrap than is possible with exposed hammer revolvers. This makes a huge difference in their accurate double action shootability, though single action is obviously not an option with a Centennial.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Damn flyer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always liked an exposed hammer fired J-frame. I had an early stainless model 60 .38 Special +P, but at 22 ounces, it was more than I wanted to carry around in a pocket. S&W made the lightest hammer fired Scandium frame pre-lock .38 Special +P back in 2000 called the model 337PD. Mine weighs 10 ounces empty and 12 ounces loaded. In 2002 they made it the 337PD-2 two more years and included the lock. My model 60 was sold and replaced by that 337PD at half the weight. It gets carried, but isn't shot very often.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Just grab a 442 or 642.

Load it up with some good full wadcutters from a reputable manufacturer, get some practice in, and carry on.

There are literally thousands and thousands of them carried every single day and problems are exceedingly rare.

If there is an issue, Smith will take care of you.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a new 642 two years ago and it is well made and finished. The action is as crisp and smooth as any factory J-Frame I have ever handled from any era. The only change I made was to replace the factory grip with a Hogue Boot Grip, because the original S&W Boot Grip did not have quite enough clearance for use with HKS speedloaders.

I think the new J-Frames are just fine.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I carried one for years as my warm weather off duty. My agency changed its off duty policy about 6 years ago and revolvers were not permitted. I was one of three LEO s in my agency who still carried a revolver. That gun was so easy to hide and carry. You never knew I was armed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I carried one for years as my warm weather off duty. My agency changed its off duty policy about 6 years ago and revolvers were not permitted. I was one of three LEO s in my agency who still carried a revolver. That gun was so easy to hide and carry. You never knew I was armed.
What possible reason could they have to bar revolvers for off duty carry?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.